D&D 5E Tales from the Yawning Portal: A better title would be "Nezram's tales of adventure".

Mirtek

Hero
But that miles away from the tavern. And not even a full fledged port but merely an outpost connected to another mindlayer outpost. Not something Luke Mos Eisley with a colorful mix of travelers

The real star ship anchor point is the ordinary Harbor, with spelljammer landing out of sight at sea and then sailing into harbor pretending to be ordinary vessels

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
People do that. At baseball games, I've discussed basketball and football. When I go to a play, we talk about other plays that we've been to. It happens. All the time.

I find I go to Baseball Games and Football games and even Taverns (well pubs and bars) for the same reason: To drink and be entertained while I drink. Depending on how successful I am at the first goal my topics of conversation vary far more wildly than just discussing rugby at a football game.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I find I go to Baseball Games and Football games and even Taverns (well pubs and bars) for the same reason: To drink and be entertained while I drink. Depending on how successful I am at the first goal my topics of conversation vary far more wildly than just discussing rugby at a football game.

Yes, absolutely. I was limiting it like topics because [MENTION=6776548]Corpsetaker[/MENTION] asked why adventurers would discuss other dungeons with Undermountain beneath their feet.

guachi

Hero
Corpsetalker,

If it makes you feel better I've never heard of Nezram or the Yawning Portal and I've been gaming for 30+ years. Though, I'll admit, I don't care and know little about the Forgotten Realms.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
There is a starport inside Undermountain - the subject of a whole module from 2e.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17579/Undermountain-Stardock-2e?it=1
I don't think the title Tales of the Yawning Portal was chosen specifically because a Stardock lies somewhere in Undermountain, which may be more propice to world hopping. The Yawning Portal has no known prior connection to any of these adventures that i can remember. I think it's more that such high traffic inn would be more prone to hear tales of various legendary adventures sites.

In the linked podcast Chris Perkins says the Yawning Portal is more like a hub of lore or place where you could hear tales from very adventurous clientele and stories from these adventure sites and that if it's gonna heard somewhere in the Forgotten Realms, it's gonna be heard here. Chris also says a DM could use the Yawning Portal as a hub of the multiverse, but that sounds to me like a different use of the inn than what i know of it typically from Waterdeep materials.

I don't know what role plays the Yawning Portal in the next D&D movie but that could also explain this choice.

Yan
D&D Playtester

Remove ads