• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tales from the Yawning Portal: A better title would be "Nezram's tales of adventure".

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Well I'm actually trying to engage in a smart, legit, and good natured conversation and all you can come up with is snarky and rude comments.

Who's the disappointment?
Morrus just told you that you'll be asked to leave this thread if you're getting insulting again. A mere six posts later, you post this.

Do not post in this thread again.

-Darkness,
EN World moderator

rczarnec

Explorer
Still in pre-production, sure once it goes into full swing with publicity we will get tired of it, and it won't be moderately budgeted but an over the top WB extravaganza (for good or I'll): but, yes, the screenwriter has specifically stated that the Yawning Portal is central to the film, and will be the major set-piece. So, big media plans for the Yawning Portal = this book is unsurprising.

I found this short article about the movie, the Lee being quoted is producer Roy Lee.

Lee also revealed that the movie will take place entirely in the realm rather than having people transported from our world into the realm. He also said that the Yawning Portal will feature prominently and “it’s going to be one of people’s favorite set pieces.”
http://collider.com/dungeons-and-dragons-movie-story/

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I found this short article about the movie, the Lee being quoted is producer Roy Lee.

Lee also revealed that the movie will take place entirely in the realm rather than having people transported from our world into the realm. He also said that the Yawning Portal will feature prominently and “it’s going to be one of people’s favorite set pieces.”

http://collider.com/dungeons-and-dragons-movie-story/

Yeah, that's the one: the fact we are not hearing much is not particularly worrisome at this point, as they probably haven't even started shooting yet. It would be more concerning if they began talking it up before there was a there there...

Anyways, it seems the Yawning Portal has been given a prominent place in media plans; I suspect we will see and hear more of it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Think about this for a moment.

Why would you go to the Yawning Portal to discuss various dungeons from other places, which you would have to explain "in game" how you know about, when there is a mega dungeon right below your feet?

That would be like going to a football match just to discuss rugby.

People do that. At baseball games, I've discussed basketball and football. When I go to a play, we talk about other plays that we've been to. It happens. All the time.

Lanliss

Explorer
People do that. At baseball games, I've discussed basketball and football. When I go to a play, we talk about other plays that we've been to. It happens. All the time.

A few posts above Corpsetaker was removed from the thread, so you will find little response to this.

machineelf

Explorer
Think about this for a moment.

Why would you go to the Yawning Portal to discuss various dungeons from other places, which you would have to explain "in game" how you know about, when there is a mega dungeon right below your feet?

That would be like going to a football match just to discuss rugby.

Even though my and my players might be playing through Undermountain, we might still talk about that time we were in the Tomb of Horrors. It's more like football fans at a football match, talking about other great football matches.

Besides, not all the patrons of the Yawning Portal are adventurers. Most are locals who love drinking and having revelry with others in a famous tavern with a very unique feature. And when adventurers do come through and say they want to go down the hole, everyone joins in with some toasts and singing as the brave (or foolish) souls begin their descent. Seems like a great place to talk about rumors of other strange and deadly dungeons across the world.

How do they even know these stories if they are in other universes? Well, it could be that some powerful wizards who were able to traverse different planes of existence and go to other worlds have come back and shared their stories. It's really up to the DM, but I don't see a huge problem explaining it.

Mirtek

Hero
I know it's a tavern on top of a magical spaceport, among other mystically magically thongs. They could do pretty much whatever and make it work, I reckon.
actually it's merely a tavern built over an ordinary hole in the ground. The hole just happens to lead to undermountain.

Remove ads