D&D 5E Tall's PotA Campaign - IC

TallIan

Explorer
GM:
Are these dwarves duergar?
How high are the cliffs above the trail/monastery? How far is the sentry post from the ravine entrance, and from the monastery?

Yes they are, was cryptic about it because I was think that your characters may not have seen them, but that's up to you really.

The cliffs are between 30 and 40 feet high. Apart from the ravine, the lower third of the cliffs are scree slopes. Mechanically you would be looking at a maximum fall of 20 feet and the scree makes stealth harder in the canyon, or a 30 foot fall straight to the bottom of the ravine.

The sentry is right at the exit of the ravine, with the watch post, for those off duty, being about 50 yards farther. If you walked up the ravine, you would not see the watch post until after you passed the sentry, due to twists and turns of the ravine. The ravine is sheer sided, but with the bends and a few fallen boulders someone could sneak up on the sentry.

The canyon is tear dropped shaped, with the ravine leading out from the "pointy" end. The rounded end looks as though it was once open, allowing water to flow through, but has long ago collapsed, closing in the canyon to create this amphitheater of solitude. The monastery is roughly central, the walls of the canyon are roughly 100 yards in any direction.

Did we have a short rest after the last string of fights I don't remember. If we did I have both charges of wild shape and can gain a climb speed. If not we could take a rest

You took one immediately after the ambush.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
OOC: So basically what I am thinking is we use rope (50') and drop into the ravine behind the watchpost. Then we can either take take out the watchpost/sentries, or go right to the monastery. This would avoid the scree, which I believe is only in the canyon and not the ravine? And rope should make the climb a non-issue.

Yavathol

Explorer
OOC:
That sounds good. If we can leave the rope there and use it when we leave, then I suggest we ignore the sentries and sneak in to the disused part of the monastery.

If not, we should take out the sentries first since we may have to flee through there..

Yavathol

Explorer
OOC:
That means saving one of your shapes, but good point. Ok, I guess you could climb up while carrying the rope for the others to climb, so we don't need to leave the rope:)

Azurewraith

Explorer
OOC: I doubt we will need both I do have some Spells left and if all else fails a big stick. But I'm assuming we will try to avoid the noise of combat one we get in

Remove ads