• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Targeted Areas

Rystil Arden

First Post
rgordona said:
The above ties in very well with my thinking. If you are in a real bind surrounded by enemies you can go for a targeted area attack, and if you roll a 20 stun everyone.

Unfortunatly I don't think that seperate attack rolls works either because then you are letting the averages work for you, I have 10 valid targets so I am reasonably likely to critical at least one of them.

This is a great shame because I think Targeted area is a great way of moddeling a speedster who runs around in a circle slapping everyone he passes, among other things.
To be fair, specifically in a Supers game, if you expect to roll 20 on at least one opponent on average by rolling a whole bunch of different dice, you must be fighting minions. One other way to partially fix the bug is to disallow criticals (make 20 an automatic hit and 1 an automatic miss and nothing more, much like for the Saving Throws it is replacing). That's still very all-or-nothing and thus a major possible imbalance, but much less so than when the Crit is involved.

Remove ads