Targeting "closest enemy" with curses, powers

AGFlynn

First Post
Giryan said:
Huh?
the way I see it the biggest advantage to the curse is the bonus you get when the targeted mob dies, in which case, cursing the front line troops and using the bonuses to nuke the back row is the way to use them.
It might be an extra d6 damage but if instead it's an extra +2 to hit each turn that's a much bigger deal.

That does sound like a cool use for the curse.

Cadfan

First Post
Or with feypact, curse the front rank mook, kill him with a power, teleport as a free action to the back rank of the battlefield, then use a move action to travel far enough to get your concealment. Make a stealth check while you're at it. Next round, you're all over the back rank guys like a cheap suit.

Infernal is at its happiest wading through the front rank minions in a spray of blood. The temp hp keep you durable. Every time they run out, kill another minion.

Cadfan

First Post
Yep. And unlike the Ranger, who can only have one designated quarry (barring special powers or paragon paths), you can curse more than one target at a time. This comes in handy if you happen to pack some area of effect attacks. They're in there, if you look carefully.

Giryan

First Post
:) see, the 'lock is by no means nerfed, it's just not the pure artillery you initially assumed.

I'm still not decided quite what pact I'm going to play when I finish DMing KotS, I had initially thought of Star as I love the flavour, but an uber stealthed feylock would be neat, could out sneak the rogue with a little bit of specing dex. :)

Drakhar

First Post
Nifft said:
Let me also point out the Rod of Corruption.

Cheers, -- N

Also his good friends two-fold curse, the fact that your target remains cursed until it's either dead or the encounter ends, and that you can curse multiple enemies at the cost of a minor action.

AGFlynn

First Post
Giryan said:
:) see, the 'lock is by no means nerfed, it's just not the pure artillery you initially assumed.

I'm still not decided quite what pact I'm going to play when I finish DMing KotS, I had initially thought of Star as I love the flavour, but an uber stealthed feylock would be neat, could out sneak the rogue with a little bit of specing dex. :)

Perhaps not, indeed. I actually wasn't looking at him specifically as artillery, but rather wanted more freedom to choose who was the victim of the curse. It just didn't seem right that the rules would tell me "you can curse him, but not that guy over there". Say my party was facing a four or five minions, a wizard and a big nasty fighter type. I could imagine the party leader calling out: "You, warlock! Deal with that wizard!" and having to shrug and say, "Well, yeah, I'll get to him" (at least as far as the curse goes).
Choice, I guess, is the issue. The curse is a potent tool and I'd want the freedom to deploy it where it was most needed.
I guess it just means getting into position to use it where it's most needed, and maybe that's half the fun.

Zurai

First Post
blargney the second said:
With the Battlefield Archer paragon path, a ranger can quarry the minion AND the boss hiding behind him.
No, he can't. Battlefield Archer only lifts the restriction on number of quarries. The target still has to be the closest creature (not even the closest non-quarry creature) to be designated a quarry.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
AGFlynn said:
Perhaps not, indeed. I actually wasn't looking at him specifically as artillery, but rather wanted more freedom to choose who was the victim of the curse. It just didn't seem right that the rules would tell me "you can curse him, but not that guy over there". Say my party was facing a four or five minions, a wizard and a big nasty fighter type. I could imagine the party leader calling out: "You, warlock! Deal with that wizard!" and having to shrug and say, "Well, yeah, I'll get to him" (at least as far as the curse goes).
Choice, I guess, is the issue. The curse is a potent tool and I'd want the freedom to deploy it where it was most needed.
I guess it just means getting into position to use it where it's most needed, and maybe that's half the fun.

Did you notice that you can keep on cursing different people? I only mention it as occasionally it gets overlooked. If you do a bit of moving around for the first few rounds of combat it is quite possible to end up with quite a few cursed foes all lined up as it where. Also, I think it is right that you get the 'pact boon' when *anyone* kills a cursed foe - it doesn't have to be you that does the killing to get the boon.

Both additional factors to bear in mind.

Cheers

Remove ads