• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Tavern) City of Orussus, The Red Dragon Inn VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexerion

First Post
Lynx, Level 1 Rogue

Bartolemu smiles to himself as the studded leather clad adventure walks in. Good. Company.

He eyes the adventurer as he struggles to take his backpack off and place it by the table he chose to sit at. Hmmm.... New armor and bow, loaded backpack, looking for work... probably doesn't have much to gamble with...

Determined to play, even if not for money, Bartholemu gets up and quietly makes his way to the new face. "Hello, Artax. My name is Dameon and I am also an adventurer seeking work. The tavern is pretty slow right now, but I have a feeling something will come around soon. Do you care if I join you for a game of cards and conversation before your meal is prepared?" Bartolemu Holland says with a seemingly honest smile. Bluff +5

azmodean

First Post
Artax, scout, Ranger 1

"Well", replies Artax, "a friendly game and conversation would certainly speed the wait. Please, have a seat". Artax gestures toward a seat at the table. "What is your game of choice?", asks Artax.

Dexerion

First Post
Smiling, the young rogue takes the seat across from Artax and beings to shuffle his deck of well worn cards. Bartholemu appears to be about 16 and has pale white skin blemished by several scares and the occasional spot of dried mud. His hair is silvery white of about 6 inches long and unkept. His eyes are a cold grey and seem to hold no smiles within.

You appear to be of the type that would enjoy a friendly game of Karnoffel.

OOC: Karnoffel first appears in the area of present day Germany in 1426, and is still played in some areas under the name "Kaiserspiel." It was played mostly by the lower classes. The cards reflect the game's lowly origins (the name itself tanslates as "hernia") including several satirical images such monks vomiting -probably inspiring the sermons preached against it by German clergy of the 16th century.

azmodean

First Post
"Sure", says Artax, "You'll just need to explain the rules to me and we can get started."

(OOC: You can either really explain the rules, or say "Dameon explains the rules" if you want. Do you want to run this as color, or actually do some kind of D20 representation of the game, like an opposed skill check?)

Dexerion

First Post
Bartholemu smiles and then wrinkles his eyes as he focuses on shuffleing his cards. Karnoffel is a 4 players game that is played in teams. I can teach you how to play and prehaps we may be able to challenge others that enther the doors of the inn.

Focused on the cards, Lynx doesn't wait for a response from the adventurer sitting across from him. "The object is to for a team to take 3 of the 5 tricks per hand. Team players sit across from each other, like we are sitting now, and the other team would be here and here," Bartholemu says as he motions to the seats to either side of him. "A 48 card deck is used. A standard 52-card deck minus the aces. The cards are shuffled and each player is dealt 1 card, face up," Lynx deals the cards as if there are two other players at the table. "The suit of the lowest face up card is trump. In case of a tie for low card, the suit of the first of the low cards dealt is trump. See, here the lowest card is a 7 of hearts, so hearts are trump. Once trump is determined, the players turn their card over, then are dealt 4 more cards for a total of 5 cards. The remaining cards are set aside. The player to the left of the dealer leads the first trick. The winner of a trick leads the next trick. The winner of a trick, is the person who plays the highest ranking card of the suit led, unless trumped. I am sure this sounds familar to you. It is a lot like other games that use trumps and tricks. There is no requirement to follow suit, even if a player has cards in that suit. Non-trump cards rank from King as high to Two as low. Trump cards, however, have an unusual ranking system. The Jack of Trump always takes the trick," Bartholemu winks at Artax, "The Seven of Trump beats all cards except the Jack of Trump, if its the first card played in a trick; otherwise it ranks just as a seven of the suit led, not as a Trump card. The Six of Trump beats all cards except the Jack of Trump and a leading Seven of Trump.The Two of Trump beats all but the Jack, leading Seven and Six of Trump.The Three of Trump beats all but the Jack, leading Seven, Six and Two of Trump, or the leading King of any suit.The Four of Trump beats all but the Jack, leading Seven, Six, Two and Three of Trump, or the leading King or Queen of any suit.The Five of Trump beats all but the Jack, leading Seven, Six, Two, Three and Four of Trump, or the leading face card of any suit.The King of Trump beats all cards except Jack, leading Seven, Six Two, leading Three, leading Four and leading Five of Trump.The Queen of Trump beats all cards except Jack, leading Seven, Six Two, Three, leading Four, leading Five and King of Trump.The Ten of Trump beats all cards except Jack, leading Seven, Six Two, Three, Four, Five, King and Queen of Trump.The Nine of Trump beats all cards except Jack, leading Seven, Six Two, Three, Four, Five, King, Queen and Ten of Trump.The Eight of Trump beats all cards except Jack, leading Seven, Six Two, Three, Four, Five, King, Queen, Ten and Nine of Trump.Partners are allowed to discuss what move to make, but must do so openly in front of their opponents.Whichever team wins 3 or 4 of the 5 tricks wins the hand. The cards are then gathered, re-shuffled, and the player to the left of the last dealer becomes the new dealer. The first team to win 12 hands wins the game."

Bartholemu sighs after finishing his lesson. Seeing that Artax's meal has arrived he leans back in his chair and props his feet upon the table. "This game is the greatest of all card games in our realm. The best players of the game compete once a year for quite a large sum of money. Prehaps someday I will find a partner good enough to play in the tournament with."

OOC: I suppose teaching you a four player game when only two players are present would not require any rolls. :) if others do come and join, I believe a roll would be best. Everyone could just post their modifier and one person could make all four rolls, if the others are willing to trust that person.

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
Judge post: I'm not fully sure how you want to simulate the game, but if you want to use dice, there are both online dice rollers, and the Enworld dice roller. The Enworld Dice can be accessed by (dice=x)y(/dice), where x is the number of dice (maximum 3) and y is the number of sides on the dice (maximum 30). Replace the () with []. One roll per post.

(dice=1)20(/dice)
[dice]

azmodean

First Post
Artax, Confused Ranger 1

Artax, eyes glazed over, mumbles, "So the jack beats everything, and the uh, 9 beats everything, if you play it first, and the queen beats er, a bunch of stuff. What does the king do?" Artax trails off, but finally adds, "Well I hope you find someone to play with you at these championships, but I guess that wouldn't be me".
"I was thinking a game of poker, or blackjack", Artax admits sheepishly.
"So, you from around here? I heard some rumors that this is a good place to get started finding jobs that are... you know... special, so here I am."

Last edited:

Dexerion

First Post
Lynx, level 1 rogue

Bartholemu blinks blankly at the ranger. What was I thinking... of course this type of game can really only be understood by experienced cardplayers like me... why would I think a simple minded woodsman could even begin to comprehend its complexity.

"Blackjack you say? One of the simplest games of chance. Heh, even a two year old could win a game or two of blackjack." Bartholemu snidely replys as he deals one card face down and one face up. "And yes, I am from around here. This tavern draws people of your ambition from all around Enworld, and those that offer 'special' jobs seek them out here. This place will offer you the chance to find fortune and fame, but be weary, because trouble finds its way in these doors just as often... You show an ace, hit or stay?"

Profession (card player) +5
[dice]

azmodean

First Post
"That's a bit more my speed, let's see how I do...", says Artax.

Profession(card player) +1 (untrained)
[dice]

Dexerion

First Post
cards

"So you stay with an ace showing. Lets see what I have... uh huh. What you got, since we aren't betting? Oh, just 20. Not bad. I have a blackjack. Just luck. You want to deal this hand?" Bartholemu chuckles to himself. This could be entertaining.

Profession (Card Player) +5 (4 ranks 1 wisdom)
[dice]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads