[Tavern Thread] The Dunn Wright Inn

sunshadow21

Explorer
A simply dressed tiefling with travel gear, but very little in the way of weapons, enters the common room and after briefly shaking his head at the fire mage, settles down at a corner table as a snake slithers out of one of his pockets to take a nap on the table while the tiefling quickly orders a light meal before settling into the shadows of the corner and watching the scene in the rest of the room.

[sblock=spell transcription]Rolls for transcribing spells into the spellbook in all of his downtime leading up to his return to the Inn
Haunted Fey Aspect (5 gp) DC 15 - 21
Detect Secret Doors (10 gp) DC 16 - 13, 25
Bear's Endurance (40 gp) DC 17 - 26
Blur (40 gp) DC 17 - 21
Detect Thoughts (40 gp) DC 17 - 28
False Life (40 gp) DC 17 - 29
Mirror Image (40 gp) DC 17 - 15, 20
Locate Object (40 gp) DC 17 - 23
Protection From Arrows (40 gp) DC 17 - 15, 25
See Invisibility (40 gp) DC 17 - 22

Haunted Fey Aspect, Detect Secret Doors, Bear's Endurance, Blur, Detect Thoughts, False Life (1d20+14, 1d20+12, 1d20+12, 1d20+14, 1d20+12, 1d20+12=[7, 14], [1, 12], [14, 12], [7, 14], [16, 12], [17, 12])
Mirror Image, Locate Object, Protection From Arrows, See Invisibility (1d20+14, 1d20+12, 1d20+12, 1d20+12=[1, 14], [11, 12], [3, 12], [10, 12])
Retries as he levels: Detect Secret Doors, Mirror Image, Protection From Arrows (1d20+12, 1d20+14, 1d20+12=[13, 12], [6, 14], [13, 12])[/sblock]

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Ah Thuvin ist, ja? How you do this day mein herr? Come und join this dice game with newcommers to Venza?"
Heinrich raises his glass of wine in a toast to the tiefling.

Triskaideka

First Post
Master! Master! Food!” A few people cringed at the grating scream as the door of the Dunn Wright in swung open, then closed again. A raven flapped up from the grey-skinned and black-tattooed shoulder it sat upon, leaving the bare-chested half-orc below to grumble in gruff but unaccented Venzan, “You ate already, Kor.” One clawed hand rested idly upon the pommel of the sword at the young orc-kin’s hip, but made no motion to draw it as he approached the bar to exchange a few quiet words with the barkeep, mostly to the effect of letting him know that the teen was open for contracted mercenary work. Grog nodded, and pointed out where the half-orc was to wait.

The half-breed turned and walked, found a chair by a table with a candle that looked like it would last, and sat himself down, nose-chain jingling very slightly with the sudden motion. He kicked back and pulled a thick, black book that was chained to his waist onto his lap, cracked it open with a black claw, and began to read. Kor, the raven that had taken to the rafters, hopped down onto the floor, where it pecked at anything that looked remotely shiny or edible.

Last edited:

Systole

First Post
There is a frustrated hissing from the rafters near where the raven was mere moments before, and in the shadows there is the glow of a pair of fiendish red eyes. A dwarf who had been sitting morosely with his head in his hands looks up. "Now, now, Mister Dickens! No roughhousing," he admonishes the shadows. "The black bird is probably somebody's stalwart companion, and is most definitely not to be nibbled on."

Spying the grey orc, the dwarf immediately perks up. Rising from his chair, he makes his way over to the young man. "Pardon Cavernous Hode, but he is extremely curious about the young grey orc's bodice. In all of the literature that Cavernous Hode has read, the bodices that were mentioned were easily ripped, which Cavernous Hode must admit he found confusing. 'If bodices are so often ripped, should they not be made of a sturdier material?' he often thought. And so, at last being presented with a structurally sound bodice, Cavernous Hode wonders if he might be further enlightened by its wearer."

The dwarf pauses for a brief moment. "Cavernous Hode understands that transactions for information often require fermented beverages as payment. Cavernous Hode is, of course, willing to reimburse the young grey orc in such a manner, although he must caution the young grey orc against the darker carbonated beverages, as they taste similar to certain unappetizing strata of loam and certain unappetizing species of mushrooms."

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"Maybe Cavernous Hode needs to try some of this wine. " Says Heinrich to Morgrym and Robert. "Watch your coin with that bird there."

The red haired human orders wine for the dwarf, Morgrym and Robert when orders a refill for himself. While waiting he will finish off the wine he has.

Triskaideka

First Post
The half-orc looked up from his book, brows elevated in mild surprise at the dwarf. He managed a stray glance toward Kor, who turned his tiny bird head up towards the rafters to caw aggressively at the rat. The young man mulled over the dwarf’s question as he closed his book and let it slip back to his side. “Technically, Master Hode, it is a girdle, not a bodice,” He explained in a carefully measured voice, “Which is more intended to reinforce the abdomen for the purpose of heavy lifting than any practical armor, though it is made of reasonably sturdy leather. I will be perfectly frank, however, in that I wear it because I fancy the look. Armor interferes with my spell casting in any case.

The promise of drink brings a real, if grim smile to the half-orc’s face. “Anything that isn't patently swill will do, Master Hode. But I think my end of the bargain was rather cheap in relation to a mug of spirits. Do you have any further questions?” The wizard made a gesture to the bird, who immediately hopped to his shoulder. It looked like the owner had the beat under control. “Perhaps you want my name, Cavernous Hode?” Kor preened silently from his master’s shoulder, occasionally casting dirty looks to the rat-beast.

Systole

First Post
At the raven's aggressive cawing, the rat launches himself at the bird. With practiced ease, the dwarf snatches the giant rat out of the air and hugs it tightly. "Mister Dickens! Didn't Cavernous Hode just say that there was to be no roughhousing? Awwww ... look at that face! Cavernous Hode can't stay angry at such a cutie-pie!" The rat struggles in vain against the dwarf's cuddling, all the while glaring hatefully at the raven.

Still holding the rat, Cavernous Hode turns back to the orc and frowns in thought. "So the difference between a bodice and a girdle is that a bodice is disposable while a girdle is intended to be re-used? That begs the questions as to why so few heroines wear girdles and why so many wear bodices. Perhaps the books that Cavernous Hode discovered simply constitute a statistical anomaly, and most heroines prefer girdles. Cavernous Hode will have to do further research on the subject.

"As for the promised refreshment drink, Cavernous Hode would be happy to supply the young grey orc."
He looks over at the barmaid and a dreamy look comes over his face. "The tiefling barmaid is over there, wearing her bodice ... and she will come over to us ... wearing her bodice ... and then ... and ... uh, what was Cavernous Hode saying?"

Triskaideka

First Post
The raven screeched and flapped away, hopping a number of chairs to put some distance between him and the rat. When Kor saw the creature was securely held, he hopped back to his master’s shoulder, and taunted, “Fool rat! Fool Dickens! Kor shall pluck out thy shiny, shiny eyes! Kor shall-“ The raven failed to finish whatever threat it had been working on as a pair of black claws pinched shut his squawking beak. “Don’t antagonize the rat, Kor, you’re asking for trouble.” The half-orc released his beak, and the raven set to preening his ruffled feathers, pausing every now and then to throw Mr. Dickens a baleful glare of complete contempt with his ink-black eyes.

The grey orc-kin listened patiently as Hode rambled, and when the dwarf’s memory trailed off he calmly offered, his face neutral as stone, “And then you appreciate her excellent physique? Afterwards you were probably going to ask me what my name was, since I already know yours. I will save you the trouble, then- I am Harkoz D’Vorza, son of Kartor. I came here from Irthos to look for mercenary work, and further my magical studies.”

He paused for a moment, and chuckled, his stony expression slipping for a moment to reveal the 16-year-old beneath before his seriousness reasserted itself, and he commented, “Master Hode, you have probably been reading pillow books, which are written to titillate and not to provide accurate instruction on the nature and purpose of bodices. Most women reuse them, and wear them over a dress. They are used to compress the waist in order to achieve a desirable silhouette. I doubt any female adventurer wears them, as they are notoriously hard to breathe in.”

Last edited:

Remove ads