[Tavern] Tower's Shard 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
[sblock=OOC]Humans aren't trapped in a VR setting and warforged aren't robots. They are golems. Robots are synthetic creatures given sentience via programming, golems are artificial creatures given a soul. While both are "artificial life", the trappings and implications are quite different.

Eberron != Star Wars. Each have their place.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
Eberron != Star Wars. Each have their place.

But Warforged are similar to Cylons, and Cylons are robots. Stars Wars is not all in sci-fi (Battlestar Galactica is also). There is a great board game based on that serie by the way.[/sblock]

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=stonegod]Sorry as this has clearly touched a nerve! In all honesty, is any word I've used other than "sector" unacceptable? I can go back and edit that one. I think all other responses are origin-neutral; the point is the guy hasn't had any meaningful human interaction due to his background, not that he's an unthinking machine. -I- think I'm playing him that way. Let me know if something specifically is bothering you.[/sblock]

[sblock=psst, Mezegis]No biggie, but it's still not "Unit 13". :)[/sblock]

Unit 16 looks at the half-orc quizzically. "That is what I do."

"I cannot stop them forever, but I can keep all of them from moving for a while. And I would not stop them from attacking; I would keep them from attacking units other than myself. Also, being surrounded is a good idea if it keeps the enemy focused on me and not allied ranged units. What they perceive as an advantageous position would in fact be a weak one - a factor I would exploit to gain a tactical advantage."

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=warforged]True, they aren't robots. I always try to keep in mind that they are made of metal and wood.

But it is common to play them as being naive with regard to emotions, relationships, and personal interactions. I believe those characteristics are even mentioned in their writeup in the EPG. They are created beings, who generally don't have things like a childhood or a family where they are socialized. I also imagine that their physical features, particular in the head and face, lack the physical flexibility for easy expression of emotion, so they have to come up with "work arounds". (In L4W, I use Ingot's eyeflame color to express some emotions. It opens and closes its mouth rapidly to express amusement. It also shakes its hands to produce a clattering sound to express excitement because I don't see those three-fingered hands clapping very well. :))

In a sci-fi sort of setting, these sorts of tropes are often applied to robot/AI characters, e.g. Data in Next Generation. In that sense, they certainly are similar. I think the challenge, if you want to explore these themes, is to do so without getting caught up with the sci-fi trappings that are so familiar. That's the challenge I see when playing Ingot in L4W.

In the matter at hand, evilbob, no one can tell you how to play your character. If your concept for Unit 16 is that he has sort of magical disk drive equivalents, then he does. I personally would look for a more magical-flavored term than "sector", maybe "crystal facet" or "shard facet" or something like that. But there's nothing wrong with "sector" if that's what you like.[/sblock]

KarinsDad

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]

But Warforged are similar to Cylons, and Cylons are robots. Stars Wars is not all in sci-fi (Battlestar Galactica is also). There is a great board game based on that serie by the way.[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]
That's the point. Warforged are not similar to Cylons. They are similar to humans. They are living creatures, not machines, not golems. They are birthed different than humans or plant creatures or most any other sentient creature, but they are not robots or androids or machines.
[/sblock]

Mezegis

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Well, either way I went back and editted out those specific phrases that referred to things more sci-fi than fantasy.[/sblock]

Mezegis

First Post
[sblock=OOC]I have no idea what you are talking about... all my posts say Unit 16...*hides edited tag*[/sblock]

I see... well, if you are robust enough to handle the focused attention, I can't fault your choice then. Now, what did you do for downtime activities? She asks, unstringing her bow and setting it back against the chair.

evilbob

Explorer
Unit 16, watching the young half-orc and clearly trying to keep up with the invisible social standards he does not quite understand, attempts to mimic her: he casually ("casually") removes his heavy shield from his arm and sets it against his stool. Doing so, he reveals a particularly noticeable dragonmark from House Kundarak on the forearm of his shield arm.

"Down time..." After a long pause, he replies, "So far, I would have to say: learning more about conversations."

Mezegis

First Post
Ryda's eyes immediately key in onto the dragonmark as it is revealed. It is unusual for a Warforged to bear such a mark, perhaps you were not being overly boastfull earlier. she says with a slight wave of her hand toward the still arranged mugs. Tell me, is there a story behind it, or are you just blessed by the Prophesy?

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: Mark? On warforged? They changed that in 4e? In 3.x warforged COULD NOT manifest a mark and few other races too...

Sorry to butt in, I didn't know, this is a revelation to me...oh, for wardeny goodness one can do :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads