[Tavern] Tower's Shard 2011

The name 'Historian' draws immediate attention of the goliath.

"Historian? Student of the past? I am Orsik the Small. Would you be interested in quick tutorial lesson? I'm from Xen'drik and I'm also historian. But I would like to know how did humans get to be dominant in these distant lands after the fall of the giants. In turn, I could maybe enlighten you about some, you'd say ancient, history."

FourMonos

First Post
Orsik's offer to discuss the history of distant lands snaps Braddock out of his altered state. The craghammer laying on the table stops glowing purple. He straightens his clothes as he talks.

"A scholar! Excellent. Come join me! Brews! Can ye get Orsik a large glass o' whatever he's drinking?"

When they settle down, Braddock starts in, "Well, my research has been piecemeal. It turns out 100 years o' war is bad for record keeping. I don't know if the giants were here on Khorvaire or if they neglected this part o' de world. The earliest empire I researched was de goblins. They had a vast and powerful empire that was near indestructable. They ruled with an iron grip. Gnomes and orcs were here, but the were slaves to the goblins for a long time. The origins of this mighty city Sharn date back to the goblin empire and you can see aspects o' dis in the architecture in lower Sharn. As far as I can tell no humans were here on Khorvaire at the time."

All the while he is talking, Braddock slowly looks through the pockets lining the inside of his cloak. He places various bits of goblin runes etched into pieces of stone on the table. After a bit, he finds the pipe he was searching for and starts to stuff the bowl with tobacco.

"Yes. That's exactly what I was looking for. Giants too had slaves and thought their empire undestructible. If anything, humans could prove to be more enduring by simple fact they are themselves always in change. They are constantly changing and rearranging their empires, states, cities, even themselves. But still in some form or other they endure. Now only handful of giants still have...erm...uh...what I mean is, there are stories about lost libraries and artifacts all over Xen'drik. I'm surprised there aren't more of the explorers looking for quick riches.

How did goblins topple the dragons? Or were these so weakened by giants they couldn't do anything? And what about elves? Why didn't they step in? See, I know something about this continent history. It's just sketchy."

FourMonos

First Post
Braddock pokes his pipe toward Orsik, "Ye know, this might be the best conversation I be havin' in quite some time."

He puffs a couple more times, "I don't know about the dragons as I haven't been to any ruins older than the gobbos. As strong as they were, the goblins dinna have nothing to do with the dragons... nor the Prophecy, as far as I can tell."

"The elves came to Khorvaire at Valenar. They could not be ousted by de goblins but they were never able to push north to populate more. All for the better I say. O'course, they be a different lot than those who live at the Fey Spires."

He takes a drink of his ale, "Tell me of these giants of Xen'drik. When were they in power and how far did they rule?"

"I hope you have some time then for the story is long."
Orsik starts by telling of the ur-past of the age of dragons and making of The Prophecy, age of demons, sons of Khyber overruning the surface world and finally Age of Giants in more detail, of wonders unparallelled in modern Eberron, ruling for ten times the length of current history of humans.

Orsik tells the story of the fall of the giants

"Now I'm looking for little pieces of prophecy, trying to piece it together..." he hoists Osvetnik onto the table, showing the runes covering it's surface

Voda Vosa

First Post
A drunk dwarf staggers into the tavern, under the burden of an immense backpack. He surveys the room with half closed narrowed eyes, and darts forward to sit on the empty chair next to Braddock, before passing out over the table.

FourMonos

First Post
Braddock sits and enjoys the long tale from Orsik. In the beginning, he fumbles through the pockets of his cloak, looking for something. Somehow, a teapot and a wrench end up on the table. Finally, he finds a notebook and makes some marks while listening to the goliath.

"I be thinkin' we need to get to Xen'drik and look at some of those giant ruins..."

At that point, Muzdum joins the two at the table. Then passes out.

"Oye! Muzdum is back! Orsik, I know not if ye be knowin' dis fine sample of dwarven pride!"

Those sitting nearby aren't quite sure, but they may hear the sound of passing gas from the sleeping dwarf...

"Oye! Brews! We're ginna need something strong when he comes to! Get me two, nay make it three Gravestompers and an ale!"

Remove ads