Who is your favorite Tears in Hell PC?

Puppy Kicker

First Post
Massacre at Nickels

6:00 AM, Tuesday, July 20th
Riverside Community Hospital, Newport News, Virginia

“Sammy needs to die.”

Armani slapped Devin on the shoulder and nodded. “Then let’s kill him.”

“We don’t know that Sammy had anything to do with it,” Rebecca pleaded.

“Don’t we?” Devin stared at Rebecca hard. There was no doubt in his eyes.

Rebecca looked at the floor of the hospital waiting room. “I don’t want anyone to die, that’s all.”

“Like my sister?”

“She’s not dead, Devin.”

“She’s alive because a machine is keeping her heart pumping. She hasn’t opened her eyes. She…” Devin’s shoulders slumped. “Sammy did this, Rebecca. And he needs to die.”

“If the motherf**kerer need to die then he need to die.” Armani interjected. “But you know damn well we need a plan.”

“Then let’s go make a plan on the way to Sammy’s hideout. Rebecca, stay here and watch Lisa.”

“YOU need to wait with Lisa,” Rebecca said. “Not me. I’m a stranger to her. You’re her brother. She needs you.”

“What, should I wait in the room while she dies?”

“Maybe it would be comforting to her, and to you. I just don’t think that driving over and killing Sammy is a good idea… right now.”

“I need to do something. I can’t just sit here and let Lisa die.” Devin slumped into a seat and held his head. The bandages hadn’t been changed in two days and were crusted with blood. He hadn’t really slept in days. He was a mess.

“Stay here.” Armani sat in the seat across from Devin. “I’ll go check out the bar. I’ll set that motherf**ker straight and find out what he did to her.”

“Yeah?” Rebecca asked. “And you think he’s just going to tell you everything? He’s a thug, even more than you, and he’s not going to help you. Who knows, he might even just kill you.”

“I think it’s a good idea,” said Meadow. “Armani, you should go investigate.”

“If that’s what you’re going to do then go.” Rebecca reached in her purse. “Here are the keys to my car. Don’t wreck it.” She rummaged around some more. “And here’s my cell phone in case you need to call us. If a cosmetics customer calls don’t tell them you’re a thug. Just take a message and tell them I’ll call them back.” She rummaged around some more. “And here, take a pepper spray.”

Armani lugged the armful of Rebecca-condiments out of the hospital and set off towards Sammy’s place.

Devin stood up. “I have to go see how Lisa’s doing.”

Rebecca and Meadow both gave Devin a hug before he left. “We’ll be here if you need us.”

Devin sat in the chair next to Lisa and held her cold hand. He fell asleep that way.

●​

7:00 AM, Tuesday, July 20th
”Nickels”, Williamsburg, Virginia

Armani approached the bar carefully, staying to the shadows and keeping an eye out for any threat. It seemed quiet, unlit. The morning light sparkled off some pieces of glass on the sidewalk and Armani stopped. He looked at the boarded up windows. The glass in front of the boards was shattered and the boards had small holes in them. Bullet holes.

The door to the establishment was slightly open, but no sound came from inside. Contrary to everything he’d learned watching a lifetime of horror movies, Armani pushed it just enough to allow entry and stepped in. He stopped to allow his lights to adjust to the shadowy interior.

Broken glasses and shattered furniture littered the room. A couple of lights spread a sickly glow over the shattered room – just enough to allow Armani to see the two feet sticking out from behind the bar.

Armani dropped to a crouch and slowly approached the bar. The feet were sticking toes up, like their owner was lying on his back. They didn’t move. Armani pulled the pistol from his waistband and slid his brass knuckles on the other hand. He rounded the corner of the bar, where he saw the owner of the feet – the barkeep. Bullet holes riddled his body and a single hole directly between his eyes removed any doubt of his status. Armani had seen dead bodies before. The barkeep was not the reason he vomited.

The body behind the barkeep had been mutilated. It had once been a man (presumably) in an all black outfit and what might have been a ski mask. An ocean of blood surrounded his body. It oozed from the talon-slashes that had shredded both his clothing and his flesh. . The flesh had been stripped from his face, leaving a single lidless eye to stare unseeing at Armani as he emptied his stomach on the bar floor. A huge pistol lay on the floor next to the shredded body and several spent shell casings littered the bloody floor.

Armani stumbled out of the bar and sprinted to the car. He would be getting no information from Sammy or his cronies that day.

●​

8:00 AM, Tuesday, July 20th

Armani walked into the waiting room. “How’s the little girl?”

“The same,” Rebecca said. “What happened at Sammy’s?”

“You don’t wanna know… I’ve got to make a phone call.”

“Fine. Meet me up in Lisa’s room when you’re ready to talk.” Rebecca and Meadow went up to Lisa’s room while Armani wandered off to find a phone. He found one and called the cops. He told them about what he’d seen at Sammy’s place. He didn’t tell them his name.

Armani entered the hospital room to find Devin holding Lisa’s hand, Rebecca and Meadow both standing next to him looking concerned. Armani filled them in briefly on what he’d seen at Sammy’s, then waved towards Lisa. “So, how she doing?” Armani asked.

Devin looked up. “Same. Doctors don’t have any clue what’s wrong.”

“So her heart rate is nothin’. She’s cold as ice. She’s hurt when the sun shines on her.” He looked around at the others, who were all nodding. “So if we’re dealing with magic,” Armani ventured. “Maybe she’s a f**kin’ vampire.”

“We’re dealing with John Edwards or Harry Potter type of magic, not Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Dusk ‘Til Dawn magic.” Rebecca said. “She’s a little girl with a medical problem. Not a bloodsucking beast. Note the lack of bloodsucking around here.”

“Well if you would have seen what I saw at that bar you’d think something different.” Armani looked a little shaken.

“You’re freaking me out, Armani. Give me your gun before you get crazy.” Devin said.

“The way that man was torn to shreds…” Armani was pale. “Maybe we are dealing with something… something big and something bad.”

Devin smacked Armani. Some color came to the big man’s face. “Yeah, that’s a bit crazy.” He shrugged and coughed. “I was just joking anyway.”

The wave of tension that had flooded the room ebbed out. “F**king vampires.”

“Yeah, f**kin' vampires. Buffy’s hot though…”

“Yeah… I’d nail her.” Devin said.

“Me too,” Meadow concurred.

Rebecca shook her head. “Ok, so not vampires, but it’s not unreasonable that this could have something to do with magic.”

Meadow nodded. “Yeah, blood is often associated with powerful magic. What if Sammy was using Lisa’s blood in order to power some kind of magic? Should we call Wendy?”

“If something they use needs blood then that’s reasonable. I’ll make the call.” Rebecca left the room, pulling her cell phone out.

“I don’t think any f**kin' human did what I saw in the bar though…”

Rebecca returned a few minutes later. “She didn’t know anything specific about the bear needing blood. It’s used to talk to the dead. But blood is a powerful tool in magic, and it can be used to tie a person to magic. Like, to draw energy from a person. She really wasn’t much help. And she says she isn’t a vampire.”

●​

9:00 AM, Tuesday, July 20th
Motel 6, Newport News, Virginia

Quin punched the digits into his cell phone as he pulled into the parking lot of the motel. Rebecca’s voice mail picked up. “Hey Becca. I’m gonna check out from the old motel here in a bit. Give me a call when you get the chance and let me know what’s happening.” He clicked off the phone as he pulled into a parking spot behind the motel.

Better check to make sure we didn’t leave anything there, he said to himself. He hopped out of the car and it beeped at him as the alarm armed itself. Five minutes later he was leaving the motel room. Thirty seconds after that he was gasping for air and fighting against the hooded man holding a foul-smelling cloth over his face. Twenty seconds after that he was unconscious.

●​

1:00 PM, Tuesday, July 20th

Rebecca entered the small hospital room having left to check her voice mail. “Quin called a bit ago, said he was checking out from the old hotel. Oh, and Professor Gallivan is on his way here. He wants to see how Lisa’s doing and he wanted to talk to us about some other stuff.”

Professor Gallivan showed up at the hospital at 2 PM. Rebecca, Meadow and Armani met him in the waiting room. “How’s the little girl.”

“No change. We think Sammy Nickels had something to do with it, but when Armani went to talk to him…” Rebecca filled the professor in on what Armani had seen. “Armani thinks it’s vampires. I think maybe Sammy was using Lisa’s blood in some kind of magic ceremony with the bear.”

“I don’t think vampires are likely. And since Lisa wasn’t with Sammy when he got the bear I don’t think the two are related – at least not that directly.” He shrugged. “I do have some information about what might have happened at the bar though.”

Martin told them that some of the more militant member’s of Wendy’s coven had gone to recover the Messenger of the Dead from Sammy the night before. They haven’t been heard from since.

“Same motherf**kers that was at the McDonalds? Same outfits?” Armani asked.

“Yes. I think they were clothed the same.”

“Then that’s what I saw. I’ve seen a lot of dead bodies. I’ve seen a lot of weird sh*t. I ain’t never seen nothing like I saw there.”

“It sounds like the job went foul. Miss Johnson has not been very forthcoming about what she knows about it.”

“It doesn’t sound like she’s been forthcoming about much, Martin,” Rebecca said. “Do you really thing you want to be working with her?”

“I don’t think I want to… but I think I need to.” Martin Gallivan looked stern. “I don’t want you to question my decisions.”

Rebecca bristled. “Well your DECISIONS have gotten my friends shot, maybe this little girl hurt, maybe others dead.” Rebecca’s voice was getting louder. “So I think I have EVERY right to question them. Why are you working with this woman?”

Gallivan’s shoulders slumped under Rebecca’s tirade. “Wendy didn’t do this. And she didn’t want anyone to get hurt that night at McDonalds. But she isn’t the only power in their coven. The other power, Rain, is more militant. She’s the one that shot Armani and Devin that night. She’s more certain that recovering the bear is worth any cost.” Martin was holding his head in his hands. “I don’t know who is right. I just know that the bear is the only chance I have to find out what happened to my daughter, and I will get it back.” He looked up again. “Rain went after Sammy last night with her group. It sounds like she failed. Sammy has the bear then.”

“Maybe. But there were two bodies in the front, and who knows where else. It’s impossible to tell who came out ahead,” Meadow said.

“F**k it. She may have failed, but she ain’t me. I say let’s go get the motherf**ker.” Armani was standing again and looking anything but shaken. “We’ll get the damn bear. We’ll beat an answer out of Sammy. Maybe we’ll even pull down some cash.”

“Well I think the scene bears further investigation anyway,” Meadow said.

“I agreed,” agreed Rebecca. “Let’s head over there and see what we can find out. Even if Sammy's gone we might be able to find out something from the scene.”

Rebecca went up to Lisa’s room to fill Devin in on what they had planned.

“Find out what you can. I ought to stay here with Lisa.” Devin squeezed Lisa’s limp hand. “I need to be here if she wakes up… or doesn’t.”

“I’m so sorry Devin." Rebecca wiped her eyes. "Have a pepper spray.”

●​

5:00 PM, Tuesday, July 20th
”Nickels”, Williamsburg, Virginia

Armani, Meadow, and Professor Gallivan stayed in the parked car a block away from the remains of Sammy’s bar. Several police cars were parked in front of the building and the area was roped off. A couple of cops were outside, talking.

Rebecca crouched under a strip of CRIME SCENE tape and approached the cuter of the two policemen – no wedding ring. “Do you know what happened here?” The other policeman quickly scuttled off to avoid getting wrapped up in dealing with the pesky civilian.

“I’m going to have to ask you to leave, miss. This is a crime scene and we are currently in the middle of an investigation.”

“I might know people who were involved and I’m just trying to find out what happened to them.”

The young policeman pulled out a notepad and pen. “May I have your name please?”

“Susan Smith,” said Rebecca Michaels.

“And who do you know that might be involved in this?”

“I know some people who MAY have been here last night. I’m worried because I haven’t heard from them.”

He scribbled some notes on his pad. “And who is it you are concerned with, Miss Smith?”

“Fred Michaels,” Rebecca said, beginning the process of throwing off the entire investigation.

“And could you describe Fred Michaels for me please?” Scribble scribble scribble.

“About 6 feet tall. Brown hair. Brown eyes. Caucasian.”

“And why do you believe he would have been here last night?”

Rebecca looked at the young policeman like he was a puppy who just peed on the couch. “…It’s a… bar…”

The policeman looked a little embarrassed. “Ahem. Um… did he say he was coming to this bar in particular?”

“Yes.”

“Oh… ok. And…”

“And he didn’t come home this morning. I’m concerned.”

“So this is a CLOSE friend of yours?”

“Yes.”

“Are you living with Mr. Michaels?”

“No.”

“Ooooh… um… were you staying at Mr. Michaels’ house last night?”

“No.”

“Umm… ok… um… please wait here for a minute, Miss Smith.” The policeman turned to walk into the bar. Rebecca followed him. He spun. “Miss! Please wait here. This is a crime scene!”

“Well, there’s no sense in you walking in and out. I’ll just come along.” Rebecca smiled innocently.

“It’s a CRIME SCENE! You might… leave footprints.. or something.” The cop looked flustered, torn between duty to police force and duty to hot chick. “Please Miss, just stay here.”

“Ok, I’ll wait right here.” As the cop entered the bar Rebecca peered through the doorway into the bar. She saw several other policemen investigating the area. A couple stood behind the bar taking pictures. The chalk outline of a couple feet poked out from behind the bar. Two doors stood open at the back of the bar. The young policeman she’d been conversing with talked to one of the men behind the bar. He shook his head, said something, then returned to investigating the scene. The young cop returned.

“There was no Fred Michaels here.”

“Well… he doesn’t always go by that name…” Rebecca paused. “…when he’s been drinking I mean.”

“Miss Smith. Let me get your phone number and I’ll call you if we find anything else or have any other questions.”

Rebecca’s saleswoman brain flurried. “I’m afraid my purse was stolen. It.. it had my cell phone in it.”

“Do you have any way we can get ahold of you? Home address? Home phone?”

“Uh… sure. Here’s the phone number to the hotel I’m staying in.” The policeman wrote down the digits.

“Is that where you were planning to meet Fred Michaels at?”

“Yes.” Rebecca paused. “What about… John Richards?... There was a bachelor party last night. They were all going. There would have been a group of them.” Rebecca was on a roll. “None of them came home. I called all the wives and girlfriends. None of them came home.”

“Just between the two of us, Miss Smith, I don’t think it was a bachelor party.”

“What makes you say that?”

“It does not look like a bachelor party in there.”

“Well NOW it doesn’t!” Rebecca smacked the cop with a ‘duh’ look. “That’s why I’m concerned!”

“The people in there weren’t dressed like people dress for a bachelor party.”

Oh yeah, Rebecca thought. The burglar outfits. “Well they were all dressed in costumes for the bachelor party.”

“What kind of costumes?”

“Zorro.”

The cop looked a little shocked. “Umm…” He looked down at his notebook to avoid eye contact with the soon to be grieving widow. “Miss… I’ll have to contact you when I have more information.”

Rebecca let a tear fall down her cheek. “Can you…” She let one more fall. “Can you just tell me how many…” Two more tears. Don’t overdo it, Becca. “… how many there were?”

The cop looked around, nervous. “There were three men in this bar… dressed like your friends might have been. They didn’t make it through the night.” Rebecca sobbed. “There were some others, miss. Please, just return home and we’ll call you when we know more.”

Rebecca returned to the car and filled the others in.

“I’d like to talk to Wendy about this. She needs to know what happened,” Professor Gallivan said.

●​

7:00 PM, Tuesday, July 20th

“Any change?” Meadow was sitting next to Devin in the hospital room.

Devin looked downtrodden. “They cranked up the heat on her electric blanket to keep her temperature from dropping even more. Does that count?” Devin punched the chair arm. “Other than that, not a goddamn thing has changed.”

“Things will get better, Devin.” Meadow put her hand on Devin’s shoulder. “They have to.”

Puppy Kicker

First Post
And here I just have to add, for the record, that Rebecca's exchange where she's investigating the murders at Sammy's place was almost verbatim from a recording we made. Everyone at the table was laughing their asses off and I remember wiping a lot of tears from my eyes as I tried to keep a straight face.

Puppy Kicker

First Post
Massacre to the Left, Massacre to the Right

6:00 PM, Tuesday, July 20th
Somewhere dark and uncomfortable

Quin awoke with a throbbing headache and a shooting pain in his left hand. Before he opened his eyes he knew he was bound – arms and legs tied to a chair, a gag in his mouth. He slowly opened his eyes and pain shot through his face and his head rocked to the left. He’d been smacked. He was in a basement, sparsely furnished and barely lit. Cement walls and floor, no decorations. He was in a chair – metal.

“Damn, dude!” He tried to say. It came out “Dmmm, dddd!” around the gag. He redirected his gaze to the source of the blow. A middle aged man, graying at the temples but obviously very lean and muscular – the force of the blow alone had shown him that. His face stung but the real pain was in his left hand, so he glanced at it. “What the f**k!!!” he tried to say – “WMMM MMM MMK!!!” His left pinky was gone, chopped off at the first knuckle. It looked like the wound itself had been cauterized shut, but the pain belied its appearance.

The man seated across from him looked down at a New York driver’s license. “Alright, Mister Quinton Stark III. It seems I have your attention. Now I want you to tell me everything you know about Armani Determan.” He looked up from the license at Quinton’s terrified face. “And rest assured, if you f**k with me that little finger of yours will be joined by numerous friends.”

"DMMM, FMFMM SMMF."

The man reached forward and tore the gag from Quin’s mouth. “Talk.”

“Dude, this sucks.”

●​

6:30 PM, Tuesday, July 20th
Riverside General Hospital

Rebecca answered her cell phone. “The guy with the gun, is he still with you?” It was Martin Gallivan’s voice. He sounded out of breath.

“He’s somewhere. Why?”

“I need him here. There’s something strange going on.”

“Ya think?” Rebecca jabbed. Strange had taken on a completely knew meaning in the last two weeks. “Yeah, I can find him. What’s going on?”

Ten minutes later Rebecca, Meadow and Armani were in the Grand Am screaming down I-64 to meet Gallivan. Meadow drove while Rebecca talked to Gallivan on the phone.

Professor Gallivan had gone to the coven’s camp to meet Wendy and tell her about what they had discovered at Sammy’s and to discuss their next step. He hadn’t gotten there – the sounds of screams and gunshots had stopped him a mile from the camp and he’d called for backup. The backup was on its way. Armani sat in the back seat, stretching his a**-kicking muscles.

Fifteen minutes later they were pulled over on the side of the road.

“Sh*t sh*t sh*t sh*t sh*t sh*t.” Meadow was slamming her hands on the steering wheel.

“You really need to slow down at the overpasses. They wait for you there, you know?”

“I swear. Godd**n chicks can’t drive. It’s not like we have a batch of illegal weapons in the f**king car.” Armani was trying to be as stealthy as possible as he slid his pistol under the passenger seat.

“Sh*t sh*t sh*t sh*t.”

“Look, we’ll make Martin pay for the ticket.” Rebecca spoke into the phone. “We’ll be a bit late, Martin. Meadow just got pulled over for speeding. It’s a double fine, Martin. It’s a construction zone.”

“Sh*t sh*t sh*t sh*t.”

“Never let a godd*mn chick drive. If I get arrested for these weapons I’m going to beat your witch a**.”

“NOBODY is going to get arrested as long as you shut up!” Rebecca shouted.

“Sh*t sh*t sh*t sh*t…”

Another fifteen minutes and they were on the road again, driving slightly under the speed limit. They met Professor Gallivan at the KOA campground in Williamsburg.

“I haven’t heard the screams or gunshots for a while.” Martin said. “Do you have weapons?”

“We have Armani. And I have some pepper spray.” Rebecca popped her trunk. “There’s a knife in here too. You can have it Meadow, I’m really good with pepper spray.”

Professor Gallivan pulled out his little pistol. “It’s a secret area of the campground. Follow.”

Martin led them up several winding paths. “The coven dwells here. The screams came from their camp.”

“Why are we not calling the police?” Meadow asked.

“The coven is involved in some illegal activities.”

“All the more reason to call the f**kin’ cops,” said Armani.

Rebecca looked a little shocked. “For once, I agree with Armani. If they’re involved in something illegal and it involves gunshots, then maybe the police ought to take care of it.”

“Rebecca, they have information I need. And possibly information you and your friends need about Mr. Nickels. If they’re arrested then we will never get that information.”

Armani nodded. “And we don’t get to beat the f**k out of Sammy. Let’s go in.”

“Ok, we’re going in. But Meadow and I had better get an A+.”

Armani and Gallivan treaded carefully down the path. The ladies followed, knife and pepper spray at the ready. The woods were eerily silent. No voices. No wildlife. Around a bend in the path they saw a couple of cabins.

“This is where they live.” Martin said. “The coven practices their craft in a clearing further down, but they sleep and eat here.”

“Their craft?” Meadow asked.

“It’s magic, Miss McLean. They practice their magic.”

“Do they use human blood?” Rebecca asked.

“I don’t think so. Some practice animal sacrifice as part of their rituals, but I don’t think any use human blood.” He shrugged. “Some of them are very focused on the craft, at the expense of all else, but I don’t think they’d willingly harm another human unless absolutely necessary.”

“Tell Devin that.” Rebecca scowled. “I think the bullet is still lodged in his skull.”

“Wendy didn’t want to shoot him. In fact, she paid his hospital bill for him and went to see him several times while he was recovering. But she is not the only powerful woman in the coven. Others, like Rain, have more questionable morals…” Gallivan stopped as they approached the cabins. “Oh no…”

A body lay in front of the closest cabin. It was a woman, hair and blood sprawled out across the steps leading from the cabin. They saw others then, too. Several bodies were splayed around the campground.

“There were fifteen people in the coven. That’s Winter Wind there. She was kind.” Martin continued towards the cabins. “Mellow Yellow.” He bent over a third body. “Lover of Puppies.” Martin opened the door to the first cabin – empty. The second cabin was not. Professor Gallivan covered his mouth with his hand and staggered back. “The rest… the rest are in there.”

“Get the f**k back to the car, Professor. We’re done here.” Armani grabbed Gallivan by the shoulder. The professor twisted around and stepped towards the corpse-filled cabin.

“No. We’re not done yet.” He entered the cabin and rummaged around, under bodies and through lockers. Armani inspected the other bodies, all killed by gunshots, some small caliber, some larger, but no shredded faces.

Gallivan stumbled out of the cabin a minute later, wiping vomit from his chin. In his left hand he clutched a large leather-bound book. “Now we’re done.”

Meadow clutched her stomach and stepped away from Gallivan as he left the cabin.

“What is that?” Rebecca asked.

“Answers.”

Puppy Kicker

First Post
Carrots and Sticks

6:15 PM, Tuesday, July 20th

“Not right now.”

Devin lifted his head. He’d been dozing off and on, utterly exhausted. The slightest whisper, though, had woken him.

Lisa’s eyes were open, staring at the opposite wall. Devin leaned forward.

“Lisa?”

“I will. But not right now.” Lisa paused, then giggled. “OK.”

“Who are you talking to, sis?”

“I can’t right now. You know that. After sunset.”

Devin looked around the room. Empty except for the two of them. “Lisa? Who are you talking to, sweetie?”

“I’ll meet you after sunset.” Lisa stopped for a moment, as though she was listening. “You can send someone if you want, but I won’t need help.” Lisa’s eyes closed.

Devin called a nurse then went to the lobby to tell the others. They were gone.

●​

Rebecca, Meadow and Armani were in the Grand Am on the way back to the hospital. Gallivan had taken the book with him and said he was going to go study the tome he had taken from the coven. “I’ll call the police, but I need to look at this tome. I’ll call you if I find anything. You all do the same.” They’d parted ways then and everyone was anxious to get back to the hospital to see how Lisa was doing.

“Oh, I have a message.” Rebecca looked around. “Guess I missed it in the confusion.” The car swerved dangerously as she dialed up her voice mail. “It was Devin. Lisa woke up.”

She sped the rest of the way to the hospital - she didn’t get pulled over.

●​

“All I know is that she said she was meeting someone at sunset.” The others crowded around Devin in the hospital room as he explained what had happened. “It was like she was possessed. She wasn’t talking to me.” He squeezed Lisa’s hand but she didn’t respond. She hadn’t moved since her earlier episode. “It sounds like someone might be coming to get her too.”

“Sammy?”

“Maybe.” Devin looked at Armani. “I want us to be ready in case. I don’t know what we’re up against, but sunset is any minute now, and Lisa isn’t going anywhere.” He stood up, dizzy but strong. “I won’t let her be taken again.”

The sun dipped below the horizon.

●​

Quin reeled as the man smashed him in the face with an open palm. Quin’s nose was bleeding and he had several small cuts on his arms. His abductor alternated between smacking him and cutting him with a vicious dagger and asking questions about Armani and some diamond that had apparently been stolen.

“He sold something to someone, that’s all I know.”

“To who?” Another smack and Quin’s head rocked backward, but he stayed quiet. He knew that the moment this criminal had all the information he needed he would have no reason to keep Quin alive. Quin clenched his teeth.

“You know that Armani stole the diamond. You know that he sold it.” The man ran the tip of his dagger along Quin’s arm drawing a sizzling stream of blood. The dagger seemed to cauterize as it cut. The pain was excruciating, but there was little blood – just an instant scar. “And I know that you know who he sold it to.”

Quin didn’t talk.

“I’m weary of this game.” The man picked up Qin’s driver’s license from the table. “Quinton Stark III.” He stood and looked at the license, brow furrowed. “Where do I know that name from…” He paced. “Jonathon Stark.” The man looked at Quin’s face for a reaction. He got it.

Quin choked through cracked lips. “Uncle John.” Blood oozed down his chin. “My uncle.”

“Killed.” The man chuckled. “Jonathan Stark was assassinated.” He sat down again, knife in one hand, driver’s license in the other. “Did you know that?”

Quin nodded. He had moved from New York to Virginia to find his uncle’s killer. Other things had since taken over in his life, but this one thing still drove him. “You?”

The man smiled. “I didn’t kill him.” He shrugged. “I wasn’t as good back then, Mister Stark. Someone else got to John first.”

Quin raised his eyebrows, all pain forgotten. “Who was it?”

“Ah, just some hit man. There are a lot of us and we just do a job.” He poked Quin in the chest with the knife – sizzle. “The hit man isn’t important, Mister Stark. But who arranged the hit… now THAT is something you probably want to know.”

Quin nodded. “Please… tell me.”

“So this is the carrot and stick.” The man drew the blade of the knife across his own palm. Quin smelled the burning flesh. “The carrot. You tell me where the diamond is, and help me get to Armani. I tell you who is responsible for your Uncle John’s death.” The man placed the knife gently on Quin’s left hand, drawing the blade across the back of the hand. “The stick.” He rested the blade on Quin’s left wrist. “You give me the wrong information, or you try to hold a single f**king piece of information from me again…” With all his strength the hit man wretched the knife down and across.

Quinton Stark screamed as his gold Rolex fell to the floor. It didn’t crack because it landed on the soft flesh of his severed hand.

“Carrot and stick, Mister Stark.” The man set the knife on the table. “Let’s talk.”

●​

Lisa sat up without a word and kicked her feet over the side of the bed. Devin leapt to his feet and put his hands on Lisa’s shoulders. “Sit down, sweetie.”

Meadow stepped up to Lisa as well. “Careful. You don’t want those wires to come off.” She put her hands on the wires attached to Lisa’s chest to keep them from coming unattached. “Rebecca, get a nurse in here.”

Rebecca was already in the hallway, calling for a nurse. Armani was in the doorway, looking up and down the hallway. “I don’t see no motherf**kers coming to get her.” He looked back at Devin, whose muscles strained. “You need help holding her down?”

“No… I can... do it...” Devin grunted. Lisa was never this strong. Lisa took a step towards the door and the IVs in her arms ripped free. Devin staggered back, trying to push her back into bed. “Come on... sweetie. We need..." Grunt. "...to get you back in bed.” Lisa took another step towards the door and Devin slid backward, shoes squeaking along the floor as he slid. “Ok, maybe some help.”

Meadow stepped behind Lisa and wrapped her arms around the little girl. Armani pushed Devin aside and put his hands on Lisa’s shoulders. The 70 pound girl threw Meadows arms off, grabbed Armani by the waist and hurled him across the room. The huge man fell to the floor amid a pile of broken glass and hospital equipment.

“The motherf**kin’ chick’s on crack!”

Meadow stepped out of Lisa’s way as the little girl advanced out the door and into the hallway. Devin had his arms around her shoulders and was being dragged across the floor. “HELP ME!” he screamed. “Don’t let her go…”

A nurse and two orderlies were sprinting down the hall towards the commotion. Rebecca stepped out of the way as they passed and the orderlies latched onto Lisa. She grunted only slightly as she hurled the healthy youths away from her. They careened off the adjacent walls. One collapsed to the floor, unconscious. The other scrambled to his feet and stepped back as Lisa passed, dragging an ineffective (but valiant) Devin behind her.

Armani pulled himself from the mess of debris and sprinted out of the room, down the hallway, and skidded to a stop in front of Lisa. She was advancing at a walk towards the elevators and Armani was walking backward, staying a few feet in front of her. “You ain’t leaving here, girlie.”

Lisa was 30 feet from the elevator doors when they dinged open. “Hola, esse!” Rough Eddy stepped out of the elevator. “I think the girl wants to come with us.” He punched an open palm with his fist. “Don’t make me get physical.” A mohawked crony, the same one who had accompanied Eddy at Sergent Richardson's apartment, stood to his side, trying to look tough.

Devin readjusted his grip and tried to stop Lisa – unsuccessfully. “Don’t let them take her…” he groaned.

Armani looked over Lisa’s shoulder at Devin’s straining face. “I’m sorry to have to do this sh*t, but we can’t stop her no other way.” Armani stopped, squared himself, and punched Lisa in the face with the full strength of his 240 pound, muscular frame.

Lisa’s nose crunched and her head bounced backward where it smacked Devin in the face. He released his grip and fell to the ground. She continued walking, unfazed. Armani’s jaw dropped at the utter lack of damage he had done. He had felt the nose crunch, but there was no visible damage a second later.

Rebecca rummaged in her purse looking for anything to stop the seemingly unstoppable Lisa from escaping with Sammy’s thugs. Armani turned his back to Lisa and looked at Rough Eddy. “I may not be able to stop her.” His fingers searched in his jacket for his brass knuckles. “But you motherf**kers are goin' down.”

Rough Eddy’s crony reached into his own jacket and pulled out a 9mm. He leveled it at Armani, but he never got a chance to fire.

Armani sprinted towards the crony and rammed his knuckles into the man’s stomach. He keeled over and collapsed to the elevator floor. Rough Eddy stepped away from Armani and leveled his Colt Python. The sound of the explosion echoed through the halls of Riverside but the oversized slug scored only a glancing blow on Armani’s left arm. “You f**ked up my jacket,” Armani said.

Lisa was almost to the elevators when Rebecca pulled out her pepper spray. She was fairly confident it would be ineffective, but she was out of options. She was wrong. As the spray coated the side of Lisa’s face the little girl screamed in agony and stopped her advance. She turned to Rebecca, a look of animal fury in her eyes.

“Now now, Lisa,” Rebecca pleaded. “You know I had to…”

Lisa lashed out at Rebecca, fingernails digging furrows in her face and all the way down her chest. The force of the blow slammed Rebecca against the opposite wall. She slid down it, unconscious and bleeding profusely from her facial wounds. Lisa continued towards the elevator and stepped on the body of the fallen thug.

Meadow rushed to Rebecca’s aid. She screamed at the orderly for help. He broke his horrified stasis and rushed over to help stop the bleeding. Devin pushed himself up from the floor, cradling a broken nose, and sprinted towards the elevator. He spared no more than a glance at the battle between Armani and Rough Eddy and looked only at his little sister. “Lisa, please. Stop.”

As the elevator doors began to close Lisa whispered to Devin through narrowing space. “Let me go or I will kill you, brother. I will kill you all.” The doors dinged shut and Devin barely heard the explosion of another gunshot as Rough Eddy ran down the hallway towards the stairs, firing blindly backward to stop Armani.

“Devin… Rebecca needs our help.” Meadow was servicing the wounds on Rebecca’s face and chest, but the damage was severe.

“Yeah…” Devin stumbled over towards Rebecca. “Needs my help. Needs my help. Need help…”

Puppy Kicker

First Post
Possession

11:15 PM, Tuesday, July 20th

“Maybe the professor can help us out with this. I really don’t know where to turn.” Devin said.

Armani, Devin, and Meadow stood outside Rebecca’s room as the doctors worked. The wounds were severe but they thought she would pull through. Police had come and gone, interviewing those involved in the shooting and brawl. Devin had told them that he knew the man who took Lisa and the police had assured him that they would find his sister. No mention had been made of her super-human strength and cryptic remarks. The body of the thug Armani had killed had vanished and nobody brought it up.

Meadow rummaged through Rebecca’s purse. “I’m pretty sure Becca had the professor’s number in her cell phone. I’ll give him a call.” She gazed in at the doctors working on Rebecca. “Goddess knows we need to do something. I can’t just wait here.”

“I need to kick some motherf***in’ ass.” Armani was sitting, slamming his huge fists into each other.

Meadow pulled a cell phone from Rebecca’s purse and started scrolling through some numbers. “Here it is. I’ll give him a call and see what he knows.”

Armani and Devin looked up at Meadow’s shocked face. From halfway across the hall they could hear the screaming coming from the earpiece of the cell phone.

“Professor?” Meadow’s eyes were wide. “Professor, what’s wrong!?” She flipped the phone shut. “He’s babbling, screaming. I think he needs our help!”

Armani and Devin stood. Devin said “I’ll stay with Rebecca. You two go see what’s wrong.” As Meadow and Armani started to leave he grabbed Armani’s shoulder. “If she’s there… just… don’t hurt my sister.”

Armani grinned. “Couldn’t if I wanted to. That’s one tough bitch… er… yeah… I won’t.”

Armani and Meadow sprinted to Rebecca’s car.

●​

“All the lights are out. I don’t hear anything.”

Meadow and Armani stood outside Professor Gallivan’s house in Williamsburg. It was a picture of scenic suburban life – neatly mowed laws all along a neatly maintained street with neatly detailed vans and SUVs parked all in a row. Nothing was amiss.

Armani started walking towards the front door. “Let’s break in and see what’s f***ed up in there. The motherf***er was screaming. Something’s wrong.”

Meadow grabbed him. “No.” She pointed at the lighted houses all along the suburban street. “We can’t just break into this guy’s house. People will see.”

“You’re right. I’ll break in through the back door.” Armani jogged around towards the back of the house, hurdling a fence before Meadow could stop him. She sighed and walked up towards the front door. A minute later a muffled crashing sound came from the back of the house, and another minute later the front door opened. “Come on in, witch-lady.”

“See anything?”

“Nothing between the back door and here. Some f***ed up noises coming from down the hallway though.” Armani led the way towards a back room. From behind a closed door groaning and thumping noises could be heard. A flickering light seeped from beneath the door.

“The professor’s in there. Something must be wrong.”

“Or maybe he’s just f***in’. Even stuffy old a**holes like him need to get laid sometimes.” Armani didn’t look like he believed his own words.

Meadow slowly twisted the door handle and pushed on the door – it moved an inch and stopped, blocked by something heavy. The groaning noises got louder. “Help me with this, Armani.”

Armani put his shoulder down and slammed into the door, hurling it open. His momentum carried him into the room and he almost tripped over Professor Gallivan’s prone form. “What the f***'s wrong with you?”

The professor screamed as he looked up at Armani and then continued what he’d been doing – repeatedly stabbing himself in the hand with a pencil. Blood poured from his mangled right hand and from several scratches all along his right arm. The professor was mumbling and groaning as he desecrated his own flesh. “It knows… it knows too much….”

“Stop him!” Meadow shrieked.

Armani yanked the pencil from the professor’s hand, but Gallivan was unperturbed. He began chewing on his right hand, tearing chunks of flesh off with his teeth. “Mmmmm… tasty knowledge….”

Armani sighed. “Pretty f***in’ stupid for such a smart guy.” Armani punched the professor on the top of the head and he collapsed, unconscious.

“We need to get him to the hosp…” Meadow keeled over, spewing vomit all over the professor. “… to the hospital. Bring him…” She threw up again.

“You are one disgusting b****.” Armani grabbed Professor Gallivan by the leg and drug him to the doorway. “When you’re done puking come help me with this a**hole.” Armani vanished down the hallway, the professor in tow.

Meadow was dry-heaving in the corner. “What’s wrong with me?”

Come to me.

“Who is….” Heave. “Who’s there?”

Take me. I’m yours.

Meadow heaved again and then her eyes settled on the book resting on the professor’s desk. It was open and the pages seemed to be moving as though a breeze was shuffling them.

Yours.

“That’s the book from the coven.” As Meadow approached it the sickness in her stomach increased. “You… what are you?”

Answers.

Meadow’s fingers touched the book. “You burn.”

Take me.

Meadow slammed the book shut and the waves of sickness ebbed. “You’re mine.”

No voice answered.

She rushed out of the house to see Armani trying to stuff Professor Gallivan into the back seat of Rebecca’s little car. The professor was twisted, quite accidentally, into a yoga position known as the fornicating octopus. Meadow helped Armani get the prof into the back seat, slid the book under the driver’s seat, and hopped in.

“Let’s get him to the hospital.”

“I don’t think he’s going to give us any f***in’ answers now.”

“We’ll get our answers.” Meadow’s hand rested on the edge of the book protruding from the driver’s seat. “Sweet answers.”

“Hope so.” Armani glanced at the professor. “You think Mary Kay chick’s gonna mind all the blood and puke in her back seat?”

Devin Cole

First Post
Just wanted to say welcome back puppy kicker....the wait is over....more broke adventures of Devin Cole and his Super Friends.....

Remove ads