Tears in Hell (UPDATED OCTOBER 11th)

Who is your favorite Tears in Hell PC?

Gina

First Post
Rebecca M said:
Yes--update already! :] There's two sessions to post and it's been so long I'm forgetting what happened. ;)

See, you have to update PK.

How can you resist Rebecca? She's one of those girls who always looks perfect!

Puppy Kicker

First Post
Gina said:
See, you have to update PK.

How can you resist Rebecca? She's one of those girls who always looks perfect!

You are too correct, Gina! It's late, so this will be a quick one. Things are starting to move fast though, and get ugly.

Puppy Kicker

First Post
Coffee n Donuts

11:15 AM Sunday, July 18th
Riverside Community Hospital, Newport News, Virginia

As the elevator doors clunked shut behind them, Meadow and Rebecca discussed their next stop.

“I’d like to get ahold of Allison. I haven’t talked to her since our fiasco with the a**hole. She was a bit flustered.”

“It sounds like he was totally out of line,” Rebecca agreed. “I just don’t understand mean people like that. Have you called her today at all?”

“Tried this morning, couldn’t get through.” Meadow pulled her cell phone out of her purse. “I’ll give her a try really quick.”

“Sounds good to me.” Rebecca said. “I’m going to go talk to the receptionist lady for a sec.” Meadow half-nodded at her, occupied with whatever she was hearing on the other end of the Verizon electrons.

Rebecca approached the receptionist. Rebecca stopped at the desk and the tired looking young woman looked up from her paperwork. “Ah, Miss Richardson.” Rebecca looked confused for half a second, remembered her lie, and reconfigured her facial features into a slightly perturbed look.

“Yes. I just talked to my sister.” Rebecca turned on her worried face. “I’m worried about her. She seems very sick, and she was attacked by some mean men just a couple days ago.” Rebecca flipped to her commanding face. “I REALLY think it would be best if she had a nice policeman at her room to keep her safe.” Rebecca settled on her sweet and persuasive face. “Don’t you think so?”

The receptionist squinted at some papers on her desk. “Betty Richardson? She has one.”

“But… Where…” Rebecca began.

“No luck.” Meadow said as she approached the desk. She dropped her cell into her purse.

Rebecca gathered her interrupted thoughts. “Betty’s supposed to have a police guard?”

The receptionist nodded. “Says so right here. I’m pretty sure I saw him come in too.”

"Guess the cop wandered off. Maybe somebody should have got him a mini-fridge, some coffee, some donuts," Meadow said to Rebecca.

“You think it’s something that innocent, Meadow?”

“Nope.”

They started for the elevator, quickly, worried.

---​

“I guess that’s his chair. Didn’t even notice it when we came by the first time.” Meadow said. “Look, even a cup of coffee on the floor next to it. Are you getting a bad feeling about this too?”

Rebecca nodded. “Let’s see if we can find him. Ummm….” Rebecca looked around. “Bathroom maybe?”

“I’m going to check on Betty first.” Meadow pushed open the door to Betty’s room while Rebecca headed towards the restrooms. They met again a minute later as Rebecca left the ladies’ room. “Betty seems to be OK.”

Rebecca was holding her nose. “Nothing in there that we want to deal with.”

“Men’s room then?” Meadow asked.

Rebecca nodded and pulled the door open as an orderly pushed a cart around the corner. He stopped his cart and gave the two women standing in the entrance to the men’s room a quizzical look. "What are you two doing?"

"Looking for a cop."

"Check the ladies’ room," he instructed.

"It stinks."

The orderly shook his head and continued pushing his cart down the passageway, muttering something about not having time for this kind of crap.

The ladies returned their attention to the men’s room. “See anything?” Rebecca asked, holding the door but not looking in.

Meadow whispered. “Someone’s on the toilet.” Louder, she said, “Hello?” Nothing.

"You look," said Rebecca, looking a bit queasy.

"Over or under?" Meadow asked. Rebecca continued to look queasy and didn’t answer. Meadow approached the stall door. It was slightly ajar. With a single finger she pushed it. Creaking, the door swung inward. Meadow staggered backwards, slamming into the wall. “Ohmygod…”

Seated on the toilet, a wire garrote twisted around his throat, face blue and bloated from strangulation, was a young police sergeant. From Betty’s room, directly across the hallway, the steady beep of a stopped heart droned through the sudden silence.

ledded

Herder of monkies
Man, *great* timing in your writing, and the characters continue to be well written and well played (I love the reply to Edwards... d*mn that Rebecca makes me laugh). You seem to be stretching your legs and hitting stride now, I can feel the roller-coaster clack-clack-clack-clackclackclack-ing to the top of the big hill right now...

Post soon, PK, I gotta see how this shapes up.

Puppy Kicker

First Post
Crunched and Weepy

11:30 AM Sunday, July 18th
Williamsburg KOA, Virginia

“You think the girls are finding anything interesting?” Quin asked, slightly breathless. He was crammed into the middle of the bench seat of Devin’s truck, squeezed on one side by Armani’s bulky frame and the other by Devin’s constantly shifting right arm.

“Probably not. I doubt that cop will be…” Devin shifted into second and Quin grunted in pain. “Sorry… I doubt she’ll be talking that much. She was seriously bashed up.”

Quin tried to scoot back farther to avoid the shifter’s uncomfortable position. "Hey, Armani." Armani had slumped against Quin’s shoulder and was drooling a bit on his silk shirt. Devin nudged him away. “Aramani.” Armani let loose a snore, but continued to drool. Quin slammed his elbow into Armani’s side with all the force he could muster – not much. "Hey, suit guy!"

Armani awoke long enough to mutter a short non-inventive stream of expletives and then fell asleep again. “Not like we need him anyway. He’s more hindrance than help when it comes to talking. I think that little kid we talked to nearly peed himself when d***head here tried to smile at him.”

Quin managed to push Armani over towards the window enough to get some breathing room. “Phew! Much better. Where to now, boss?”

Devin looked a bit surprised. “Oh… uh. Well, we’ve pretty effectively searched both of the campgrounds here and nothin’. Not a 1900 block at either of them, so maybe it was a time like you said.” The truck groaned as Devin shifted it into third. “That’s right baby, keep running…” Devin cooed. The truck didn’t die and Devin sighed with relief. “I guess back to the hotel, see if the girls found anything.”

Quinton wiped sweat from his brow. “Yeah, at least they’ll have been nice and comfortable in that air conditioned hospital. Remind me to complain to them about our miserable day.”

---​

11:35 AM Sunday, July 18th
Riverside Community Hospital, Newport News, Virginia

Meadow struggled under the dead cop’s weight as she tried to balance him on her legs while unwrapping the garrote wire from his neck. The cord was twisted too tightly and she only succeeded in knocking the unbreathing body – and herself – to the floor. “Rebecca, get help!” she yelled as she tried to get out from under the body.

Rebecca sprang into the hallway, looking desperately left and right for any help. The orderly! "We need help in the bathroom!" Rebecca screamed at the orderly’s retreating back.

He glanced back. "Calm down, girl. It can't be that bad." He chuckled a little and turned his back on her.

“GET OVER HERE AND HELP US NOW!” The young woman’s voice reverberated through the halls of Riverside. Several newborns woke up crying. A glass surreptitiously cracked.

The orderly moved the fastest he ever had in his life, and tried to help.

---​

“I don’t know what we’ve gotten ourselves into, Meadow.” Rebecca was sitting in the waiting room, head resting on clasped hands. Meadow paced back and forth. She alternately looked at the clock, the receptionist, her cell phone, and the clock.

The women had watched the hordes of hospital personnel flood the restroom and Betty’s hospital room. The cop was pronounced dead at the scene. He didn’t even make it to the emergency room. Betty was dying when they were forced to leave the premises and they had heard nothing on her condition for over an hour. The police had questioned them and were still in the building, investigating the crime scene.

And Meadow had been calling Allison for an hour with no answer.

“I mean, I don’t know what could have happened to her.” Meadow said.

“I don’t either.” Rebecca said and stood up, stretching. “Maybe whoever killed that policeman did something to her.”

“What?” Meadow looked confused for a moment. “Oh, no. I mean I don’t know what happened to Alli. I haven’t really talked to her about that thing with Jared.”

Rebecca nodded, put on a sympathy frown, and patted Meadow on the shoulders. “I’m sure she’s alright. Probably just needs a little time.” As she patted, a doctor approached.

“Miss Richardson?”

Neither of the women answered.

“You are Miss Richardson, correct? Betty Richardson’s sister?”

Rebecca quickly faded into character. “Yes. Is Betty…” Rebecca sniffled. “Is Betty OK?”

“I’m afraid Betty didn’t make it, Miss Richardson.”

Rebecca burst into tears, playing fully the part of grieving family member until the doctor left. “I suppose we should leave now. Go fill the guys in on what happened here.”

“Yeah, I guess so. That’s so horrible about Betty.” Rebecca and Meadow hugged, then prepared to leave. As they were heading towards the door the receptionist shouted at them.

“Miss Richardson!” Rebecca froze, slowly turned.

“Yes. That’s me. Miss Richardson.”

The receptionist hurried up. “Would you like to collect your deceased sister’s personal belongings?”

Rebecca tried not to nod too enthusiastically.

Puppy Kicker

First Post
Foreshadowing x2

1:00 PM Sunday, July 18th
East Manhattan, New York

The man was hunched over a computer screen, piles of papers and newspaper clippings scattered around the small desk interspersed with fast food wrappers and crumpled up coffee cups. A fresh cup of midnight black coffee rested to the right of the monitor and the figure occasionally sipped it while he surfed. The light and noise of New York seeped in through dirty blinds, cars and their fumes, shouted insults and greetings, life.

The man pushed himself away from the computer and stood, glancing one last time at the website that had just loaded. Natural grace and a muscular frame belied the lethality of his demeanor. He stretched, rubbed his eyes, wandered to the kitchenette to refill the now empty coffee cup. The kitchenette was dirty and cluttered.

Before setting down the empty coffee cup, the man picked up the case lying next to it. A metal briefcase. His livelihood. He popped it open, out of habit more than necessity. The rifle was disassembled, immaculate, deadly. Had Charlton Heston seen it, he would have proclaimed “That needs to be illegal!”

But Charlton Heston was not there to see it, and if he had unexpectedly arrived there, someone would have been prying something from his cold dead hands shortly thereafter. Spence Ryland gently clicked the case shut, filled his coffee cup, and returned to the computer screen. He stood before it, reading the headline.

Suspect Arrested in McDonalds Shooting

Newport News, VA – Armani Determan of New York
City has been arrested for the alleged murder…

Spence clicked the PRINT button and dressed himself while he waited for the printout to arrive. Slacks, dress shirt, shoulder holster (concealed), and a sport coat. Spence grabbed the printout and headed for the door, stopping long enough to toss his rifle into a duffle. “Time to pay the piper, Mr. Determan.” The door slammed shut on the squalid safehouse.

---​

5:00 PM Sunday, July 18th
Newport News, Virginia

“What the hell took you chicks so damn long?” greeted Meadow and Rebecca as the walked into the motel room. Armani and Devin sat at the table, scowling at the ladies.

“It was a very… very…” Rebecca answered.

“…very ….horribly…” Meadow continued.

“…amazingly long day.” Rebecca finished.

“So don’t flick us any crap, Armani.” Meadow looked around. “Where’s Quin at, by the way?”

Devin dropped his scowl. “He went to grab some food. Said it would be nice for the ladies to have something to eat when they got back.”

"He probably just wants sex," Meadow mumbled, mostly under her breath.

Rebecca nodded, but smiled a bit. “Probably. But I AM hungry.”

There was a quick knock at the door, then it opened suddenly and Quin staggered in. His arms were full of pizza, sandwiches and Chinese food. “I come…” He staggered over to the table and emptied his arms. “…bearing gifts of munchies.”

“You’re such a…” Meadow began.

“…SWEETHEART!” Completed Rebecca. “Thank you SO much, Quin. I was starving!”

After deflecting a grumpy look from Meadow, Rebecca began to tell of their misadventure at the hospital, or the cop, of Betty’s death, and of Betty’s belongings.

“They gave us some of her clothes, of course. Poor girl really could have dressed better. Some vertical stripes…”

“Damn, chick. Get to the f***in’ point!”

Rebecca scowled at Armani, then continued. “Well anyway, some clothes of hers. But we also got the keys to her apartment and… something else. Guess it’s a mailbox.”

“So … what.” Said Devin. “So we have some keys belonging to a dead girl we didn’t even know. Should we just go breaking and entering?”

“It wouldn’t be the first time,” said Meadow, with a grin.

“And we have the keys, so really it’s just unlocking and entering. I’m almost CERTAIN that’s not nearly as illegal. Aren’t I right, Armani?” Rebecca said, sweetly.

“What? How should I? ******in’ *** **** *** * sonofa **** *** ****” Armani trailed off in a stream of curses.

“She might have something that can help us figure all this out. I mean, she was involved it seems.”

“Sure, Becca. She might. And she might not. And someone might get shot in the head.” Devin said. “Unless she had the bear, I don’t really feel like putting my life on the line again.” He glanced around. “Anybody think she had it?”

Quin, Becca, and Meadow exchanged surreptitious glances. “Umm..” Rebecca began. “It’s certainly possible. And no harm in checking.”

“Fine, let’s go check it out. You know where she lived?”

Rebecca nodded. “I got the address from the nice receptionist. It’s not too far from here.” Rebecca licked some sesame chicken off a Passion Strawberry fingernail and stood. “Well let’s all go then.” The rest got up to go, except Armani.

“I’m staying here. I’m sick of running around like a chicken with its legs cut off.”

“Fine, we’ll see you when we get back.” Meadow said.

“…legs cut…?” Quin whispered.

“Oh, just let him stay here and make up sayings.” Meadow said. “It’s not like we’re going to need his particular breed of diplomacy anyway.”

“Probably right,” said Rebecca. “Shouldn’t need to beat anyone up in the next half hour.”

Devin closed the door behind him and they headed for the car. “I sure hope we don’t need him…”

Remove ads