Tell me about these older edition products [old list]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
It's been a while since I looked at TotL, but it's essentially a combination campaign setting/build-your-own-Krynn kit, if you're inclined towards that sort of thing. The reason for the latter is that it's a lot of material from the original modules and other sources, and is a bit underedited, so that you get a picture of DL that's sharply distinct from the stuff most fans consider 'canon'. My impression is that it's a jumbled mess, but it's a glorious jumbled mess if you have an interest in DL, and it provides you with what you'd need to create something familiar yet different for the setting.
I have the 3e DRAGONLANCE Campaign Setting hardcover, so if I buy any old Dragonlance products, it will be to enhance the information in that book. It sounds like TotL looks at Krynn from a different perspective. Hmm... interesting. :hmm:

Voadam

Legend
[*]D&D Set 1: Basic Rules (purple version) (CAN $34.95 [US $28.40]) *

The Erol Otus art Moldvay set?

This is the set I learned D&D on and my nostalgia rates this one tops as well as the clearest set of all of the editions for learning the game and its rules.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The Erol Otus art Moldvay set?

This is the set I learned D&D on and my nostalgia rates this one tops as well as the clearest set of all of the editions for learning the game and its rules.
I'm fairly certain, yes.

The box they had wasn't the Red version and I/m fairly certain it wasn't the version with the red dragon as the cover artwork.

basic8th.jpg

When I saw it, I was flabbergasted. I couldn't believe they had it and it looks like it is really in good condition. I was really tempted but I went there for the modules I ended up buying.

I'm tempted to take a few other older RPG products I don't need anymore there to trade in hopes of mitigating the box's cost. I don't really need the old version of City State of the Invincible Overlord that I have now that I have the d20 version. Plus, I'm not that attached to my copy of the old Conan RPG boxed set (it doesn't have the maps).

The box would be a great piece of gaming history to own. Still, I'd prefer the D&D Rules Cyclopedia version of BECMI but it's going to be tough to find.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Here are some of the other boxed sets that Whyte Knight has that caught my eye (but that I didn't write the prices down for): AD&D 1e BATTLE SYSTEM Fantasy Combat Supplement (red box version) (*); AD&D 2e CARDMASTER Adventure Design Deck (*); AD&D 2e RED STEEL; DARK SUN Mind Lords of the Last Sea; DARK SUN The Ivory Triangle (*); Fritz Leiber's LANKHMAR: The New Adventures of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser; FORGOTTEN REALMS City System (*); FORGOTTEN REALMS The Horde; and FORGOTTEN REALMS The Ruins of Myth Drannor.

*I never owned any of these products, so I'd appreciate any insights you all might have for me regarding them, especially BATTLE SYSTEM, The Ivory Triangle accessory for Dark Sun, and City System for the Realms.

I remember vaguely that I really wanted to like the LANKHMAR boxed set, but I just couldn't learn to like it. The same thing with RED STEEL. (Of course, back then I was less likely to want to use references that went to far away from the normal 2e system.) Now, I'm less fussy. ;)

There were also several of the Dark Sun boxed adventures, which I never owned. However, I didn't doublecheck the titles so I'm not sure which ones were there. Looking through my TSR catalogs, I am now wondering about some of those boxed adventures. They didn't really excite me at the time (I hated the whole flip-book thing), so I avoided them. Now, I'm curious about a few of the non-flip-book adventures: Dragon's Crown and Black Spine but not Forest Maker. Opinions? Comments?

I also think WK might have copies of City of Splendors (which I already have) and The North (for FR) but my memory is a bit fuzzy since I was concentrating on the boxed sets I was considering for myself (*).

EDIT: I forgot to list the FORGOTTEN REALMS Campaign Set in the list above. The orignal boxed set. It's been at WK for some time now. I didn't buy it (a while ago) because I have the revised version. I'm still thinking about it every time I go there, however.
_______________________________________​

*El Mahdi, this list is for you! :p

Last edited:

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
Okay, so I've been looking through some of my old TSR catalogs from 1993 to 1996 as well as the WotC catalog from 1998. I'm wondering about some of the modules/sourcebooks from that time period that I never owned. Below is a list of those I'm interested in hearing more about sorted by year and title...

1993RAVENLOFT House of Strahd [RM3]

The 2nd Edition, setting-compatible version of I6 Ravenloft, with a higher-level Strahd and encounters to match PCs who can take him on (along with the original Strahd and encounters), revised flavor text, and other details.

RAVENLOFT The Nightmare Lands

Adventures in bad dreams in Ravenloft, both as dreamers and as waking adventures travelling to the Nightmare Lands domain. The rules can get a little complex, but the settings and NPCs are great--the City of Nod is, for my money, one of the spookiest places ever described in the Ravenloft line.

RAVENLOFT Forged of Darkness
RAVENLOFT Requiem: The Grim Harvest

Forged of Darkness is a collection of nasty magic items for Ravenloft, ranging from the 'useful but with dangerous side effects' to the 'grisly and unholy.' Requiem: The Grim Harvest provides 2E rules for undead PCs (interesting, if a bit rough around the edges), and a rather dreadful adventure that blows up the city of Il Aluk and casts a shroud over the rest of Darkon.

1998 (WotC)

RAVENLOFT Champions of the Mist
RAVENLOFT The Shadow Rift

Champions of the Mists is half character kits for Ravenloft PCs, half writeups on noteworthy heroic NPCs (mostly, but not entirely, from the novels). The Shadow Rift is a mega-adventure that takes PCs into the Shadow Rift and lifts the veil on the fey of Ravenloft.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The Third List

I decided that adding to the Second List was too confusing for me. So, I've decided to take the additions I made to that list and post a Third List. (I've added more too.)

Regardless, the first post of the thread now has a Master List located at the end of the post in an sblock, for my reference (and anyone else's.).

Anyway, here's the Third List. As before, I never owned any of these products back in the day.

Pre-1993
AD&D BATTLE SYSTEM Fantasy Combat Supplement [1e] [red box version]
Assault on Raven's Ruin
CHALLENGER SERIES Wrath of the Immortals
DRAGONLANCE Otherlands (got it!)
DRAGONLANCE Tales of the Lance
FORGOTTEN REALMS Bloodstone Lands [FR9] (got it!)
FORGOTTEN REALMS City System
LNA1 Thieves of Lankhmar
LNR1 Wonders of Lankhmar
LNQ1 Slayers of Lankhmar
Nehwon (got it!)
Quest for the Silver Sword
RAVENLOFT Islands of Terror [RR4]
SPELLJAMMER Lost Ships [SJR1]
SPELLJAMMER Skull & Crossbows [SJA2]
Sword and Shield
X13 Crown of Ancient Glory

*I have the PDF version from WotC's website but I haven't read it yet. I'm not big into reading PDFs as much as I am books so I might try to get a physical copy if it's considered "good." ;)

AD&D CARDMASTER Adventure Design Deck
DARK SUN Dragon's Crown
DARK SUN The Ivory Triangle (got it!)
DRAGONLANCE Dwarven Kingdoms of Krynn
GREYHAWK Border Watch [WGM1]
GREYHAWK Iuz the Evil [WGR5]
GREYHAWK The City of Skulls [WGR6]
PG1 The Player's Guide to the DRAGONLANCE Campaign
PG2 The Player's Guide to the FORGOTTEN REALMS Campaign (*)
RAVENLOFT Dark of the Moon [RM4] (got it!)
RAVENLOFT House of Strahd [RM3]
RAVENLOFT Web of Illusion [RM2]
SPELLJAMMER Space Lairs [SJR8]

*I might have owned this at one point but I cannot remember what's in the book at all. (The blurb in the 1993 catalog is no help either.)

DARK SUN Black Spine (got it!)
FORGOTTEN REALMS Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast
MYSTARA Night of the Vampire [CD adventure]
PLANESCAPE The Well of Worlds

AD&D Country Sites
Avengers of Lankhmar
Cutthroats of Lankhmar
RAVENLOFT The Nightmare Lands (got it!)
RAVENLOFT Van Richten's Guide to the Vistani

AD&D TOMES The Rod of Seven Parts
PLANESCAPE Doors to the Unknown
RAVENLOFT Forged of Darkness
RAVENLOFT Requiem: The Grim Harvest

Star of Kolhapur, the [RPGA]

1998 (TSR/WotC)
AL-QADIM Reunion
BIRTHRIGHT Campaign Setting [hardcover version]
FORGOTTEN REALMS Kidnapped [RPGA]
RAVENLOFT Champions of the Mist (got it!)
RAVENLOFT The Shadow Rift
RAVENLOFT Vecna Reborn (got it!)

1999 (TSR/WotC)
GREYHAWK Against the Giants: The Liberation of Geoff (got it!)
GREYHAWK Return to the Keep on the Borderlands
GREYHAWK Return to White Plume Mountain (got it!)
Bastion of Faith (got it!)
Dungeons of Despair
FORGOTTEN REALMS Skullport
FORGOTTEN REALMS Wyrmskull Throne
RAVENLOFT Carnival (got it!)
Wand of Archeal [RPGA]

2000 (WotC)
GREYHAWK Fright at Tristor, the [RPGA] (got it!)
The Vortex of Madness and Other Planar Perils (got it!)
----------------------------

Sigh. :-S

I'm such a D&D whore. :p

Last edited:

Remove ads