Tell me about these older edition products [old list]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Its a standard "haunted house" scenario, with the usual tragic gothic backstory that the PCs are supposed to figure out.

I've never run this either (not even listened to the CD) but I get the impression the PCs are treated more or less fairly. (I hate adventures where the PCs are forced to poke around for clues to defeat the big bad, only to find that 90% of the things they disturb are very dangerous monsters.)
Well, I know for a fact that Whyte Knight (WK) here in Edmonton has A Light in the Belfry for around CAN $25. I've been interested in it since it first came out but I've always balked when it comes to buying it because it's one of the CD adventures. I'm not a fan of those products.

I'm positive that WK also has these from my second list: The Star Cairns, Crypt of Lyzandred, The Doomgrinder (I think), and Swamplight as well as one or two of the Jakandor modules. I can't remember which ones, however.

The store also has the folowing from my first list: Axe of the Dwarvish Lord, the Book of Marvelous Magic, the Gates of Firestorm Peak (I think), and TSR Jam 1999.

I've been seriously considering the Swamplight module, but I'm still not sure. 2e modules can be hit or miss.

I also have Moonlight Madness (picked it up cheap on eBay), but I have not read it in detail.

My initial reaction was "meh" with a touch of "yawn", but I can't remember what I didn't like about it.
Hmm, sounds like that's one to avoid. I hate modules that put me to sleep.

I have a large collection of RPG stuff, but only 3 items on your latest list. Just goes to show how many books TSR brought out.
It's scary how much TSR put out in the 90s. And it's even scarier how much I bought. :p

Last edited:

I used to own the Book of Marvellous Magic. (Sold it on eBay in a vain attempt to create some shelf space.)

It is a BECMI D&D supplement, but the AD&D conversion appendix at the back was actually my introduction to AD&D. Its worth buying from a collector's standpoint just to see the inexplicable differences between the two games - e.g. replace "Ape, Carnivorous" with "Gorilla". (Or maybe vice versa.)

I seem to remember the Gate of Worlds (or whatever it was called) when linked from D&D to AD&D a Bard would come through. When linked from AD&D to D&D an Avenger came through. I knew what an Avenger was, but the Bard was something unknown and intriguing.

Well, I know for a fact that Whyte Knight here in Edmonton has A Light in the Belfry for around CAN $25. I've been interested in it since it first came out but I've always balked when it comes to buying it because it's one of the CD adventures. I'm not a fan of those products.
Years ago, when the old Kargatane.com site was still "the official Ravenloft website", there was a transcript of the cd script, as well as edited sounds from the original files, so as to remove the "bleep" at the end of each track.
I'm pretty sure that I still have those among my backups, so if you like the adventure but the cd part turns you down, I could try to dig them up for you. :)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Years ago, when the old Kargatane.com site was still "the official Ravenloft website", there was a transcript of the cd script, as well as edited sounds from the original files, so as to remove the "bleep" at the end of each track.
I'm pretty sure that I still have those among my backups, so if you like the adventure but the cd part turns you down, I could try to dig them up for you. :)
Cool. I'll let you know if I buy it. It's not first on my list, but I might buy it on impulse. (I do that a lot.)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Look what I got today...

attachment.php

Attachments

• 102_6595.JPG
    102_6595.JPG
    642.4 KB · Views: 250

Grats mate!! :) ah the 1st ed DMG....solidified, uber-thrill power! Scrotnig!! :p
(2000AD comic refference, hehe)

as I was saying, prior, the style & design of the TSR stuff was bloody awesome,
I've been pouring over my Dark Sun stuff recently, the way they did the layout, fonts, colours etc of Dune Trader, City State of Tyr and the main boxed set etc is jsut turly brilliant, it helps TAKE you there!

Same for Spelljammer and Ravenloft was absolutely amazing, wow.

I'm not very impressed with the 4th ed layout, it's very practical indeed, but it lacks the beautiful style I loved of the earlier products.
it fails to evoke a...mood, an idea...D&D! you know? more like a good technical manual, rather than an engrossing item in it's own right.
Major failure iMHO, in that regard. D&D books mostly had great charm and coherent style that said "fantasy..come play!".

"Rock of Bral", "Complete Spacefarer", "Lost Ships", and "Skull & Crossbows" are my fave Spelljammer add-ons :)
The DM Screen is cool, Space Lair is useful, the "Space" books for the Forgotten Realms, Kyrnn and Greyhawk were of course useful too, but my players didn't often cross the Phlogiston.
Legend of Spelljammer I'm ambivalent about, it's very good, but I preffer the great ship to remain a total mystery.
Gotta luv it though, a flying city that fires Spheres of Annihilation! MUHAHAHA!! :evil:

Aye, scary how much D&D stuff you can gather, ain't it? lol,
still narked off how much I had to give away, sigh, vast amount of great stuff...blerg!

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Grats mate!! :) ah the 1st ed DMG....solidified, uber-thrill power! Scrotnig!! :p
(2000AD comic reference, hehe)
Thanks. ;)

as I was saying, prior, the style & design of the TSR stuff was bloody awesome,
I've been pouring over my Dark Sun stuff recently, the way they did the layout, fonts, colours etc of Dune Trader, City State of Tyr and the main boxed set etc is just truly brilliant, it helps TAKE you there!
Dark Sun was one of my favorites of the 2e campaign settings. It's right up there with Planescape.

I never let go of my copy of the revised and expanded Dark Sun boxed set not to mention the Dark Sun Monstrous Compendium Appendix II, Thri-Kreen of Athas, and Windriders of the Jagged Cliffs. I've also reacquired a couple of the books: Dune Trader and City State of Tyr.

"Rock of Bral", "Complete Spacefarer ", "Lost Ships", and "Skull & Crossbows" are my fave Spelljammer add-ons :)
I've got Rock of Bral, and I had Complete Spacefarers Handbook at one point. I've never had Lost Ships or Skull & Crossbows, however. I've considered Lost Ships but I've never bought it. Hmm... :hmm:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Legend of Spelljammer I'm ambivalent about, it's very good, but I prefer the great ship to remain a total mystery.
Gotta luv it though, a flying city that fires Spheres of Annihilation! MUHAHAHA!! :evil:
I had that boxed set. (Actually, I had all the boxed sets. [*]) It was the one Spelljamming reference that I didn't really enjoy that much. I liked The Astromundi Cluster and War Captain's Companion boxed sets more.

*Why oh why did I sell those! :mad:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
So, I was at Whyte Knight again today to trade some comics for store credit (I got $5) and confirmed the price for "A Light in the Belfry" (CAN $25 [US $20.31]). I'm still considering that one. :)

I also doublechecked to see if WK had Return to the Tome of Horrors, which came up on my Round Six old school modules thread. It wasn't there. :erm: However, I also took a closer look at several of the older edition boxed sets to figure out which ones I might want to get, if any. There were a few worth mentioning...
  • AD&D 2e DRAGONLANCE Tales of the Lance (CAN $40 [US $32.50])
  • AD&D 2e FORGOTTEN REALMS Maztica (got it!)
  • AD&D 2e FORGOTTEN REALMS Ruins of Undermountain (got it!)
  • AD&D 2e ODYSSEY Tale of the Comet (CAN $30)
  • AD&D 2e TOMES Adventure: The Rod of Seven Parts (CAN $60 [US $48.75])
  • D&D CHALLENGER SERIES Champions of Mystara (got it!)
  • D&D Set 1: Basic Rules (purple version) (got it!)
  • D&D Set 2: Expert Rules (w/ the dice) (got it!)
  • D&D Set 3: Companion Rules (worn out) (CAN $10 [US $8.12])
  • D&D GAZETTEER Dawn of the Emperors (got it!)
*These are the ones I'm SERIOUSLY considering at the moment, especially the Champions of Mystara boxed set. I hadn't realized it was priced so low! :cool: There were a lot of other boxed sets in the store, but I didn't have time to write down the prices for all of them.

Note that I had most of these boxed sets, back in the day. I never had Tales of the Lance, Tale of the Comet, or the D&D BECMI Sets, however. What can people tell me about Tales of the Lance and Tale of the Comet?

KF

Last edited:

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
  • AD&D 2e DRAGONLANCE Tales of the Lance (CAN $40 [US $32.50])
Note that I had most of these boxed sets, back in the day. I never had Tales of the Lance, Tale of the Comet, or the D&D BECMI Sets, however. What can people tell me about Tales of the Lance and Tale of the Comet?

KF

It's been a while since I looked at TotL, but it's essentially a combination campaign setting/build-your-own-Krynn kit, if you're inclined towards that sort of thing. The reason for the latter is that it's a lot of material from the original modules and other sources, and is a bit underedited, so that you get a picture of DL that's sharply distinct from the stuff most fans consider 'canon'. My impression is that it's a jumbled mess, but it's a glorious jumbled mess if you have an interest in DL, and it provides you with what you'd need to create something familiar yet different for the setting.

Remove ads