• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me of the coolest feature of some monster...

kirinke

First Post
oooo. I remember that old book. Is it somewhere still around online maybe? I'd be willing to pay for a copy of that one. Tis good stuff, easily convertable to 3e.

the Jester

Legend
One of my favorite monster features ever involves the avolakia (MM2).

They prefer the taste of undead flesh... so they often team up with illithids. The mind flayer eats your brain, then the avolakia animate you so they have a zombie-burger to follow them around.

rwb

First Post
Aboleth

Assimilate /Absorb Memory: I still don't understand whay this hasn't caught our collective imagination. Eat a creature and get all of it's knowledge. And it passes it on to it's young.

Imagine an aboleth who eats an elder brain, and some demons, and some devils, and some......

demiurge1138 said:
One of my favorite monster features is from the wendigo from the Fiend Folio. I don't know if any of the legendary wendigoes were described this way, but when the cursed person is turned into a wendigo, he races into the sky to feed on flesh so quickly that his feet burn away, leaving only bloody stumps, and the wendigo can never touch the ground again.
Can't recall if the legendary ones are, but the one in Algernon Blackwood's story certainly is.

"Oh my burning feet of fire!"

Zweihänder

First Post
From George R.R. Martin's A Song Of Ice And Fire series:

The Others - Procreation

The Others from a Song of Ice and Fire have a rather awesome method of procreation: when they kill you with their crystalline swords, your corpse becomes one of them after 24 hours, complete with the sword. It's kind of awesome when the Night's Watch pull in some of their dead, only to have new attackers coming from within their fortress a day later.

Tinner

First Post
Could be any one of us ...

From "The Thing" & the D&D Doppelganger
A critter that can perfectly mimic the appearance and behavior of anyone.
It's an exercise in paranoia that forces desperate measures to figure out just who you can trust.
It works even better if the PC's can't be 100% sure that they themselves aren't already the thing.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
CarlZog said:
From the Arduin Grimoire, kill kittens work in packs: One of them will feign injury on the roadside while the rest hide nearby. When an unsuspecting good samaritan attempts to assist the supposedly injured kitty, the rest of the pack leaps out of hiding and swarms over him like piranha with claws...

And if you are not familiar with Sluggy Freelance, run (don't walk) to read this Sluggy Freelance storyline http://www.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=021024

You'll never view kittens in the same way again...

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Bonnacon (aka Bonasus) Ability: Dung canon

It has the mane of a horse but otherwise resembles a bull. It has horns that curve back so they are useless for fighting; when attacked, it runs away, while releasing a trail of dung that can cover as much as two acres and burns anything it touches.

img155.jpg

Last edited:

Remove ads