• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Temple of Elemental Evil placed in the Forgotten Realms

enigma5915

Explorer
I'm curious about running a campaign using the ToEE in the Forgotten Realms as my title states. I would like to how others went about doing this. If anyone has DMed or played in such a game, could you post about how well it worked and what changes were made. The edition doesnt mater to me, just the alterations made to make it work and how well it turned out.
Thanks in advance
Brian

Sekhmet

First Post
Honestly, most campaigns are modular. While ToEE is the classic Greyhawk adventure, it works in most settings without modifying anything.
Slap the locations in your world and call it good.

Li Shenron

Legend
ToEE revolves around a few key deities or similar things: The Elder Elemental Eye, Iuz, St.Cuthbert, Lolth, Zuggtmoy and (later in RtToEE) Tharizdun.

The Elder Elemental Eye is a cover deity, so you can keep it as is.

Iuz does not really carry much of its baggage into the story, it can be substituted with pretty much any evil demigod, but also a full god or archdevil/demon.

St.Cuthbert should then be substituted with an appropriate long-time enemy of the Iuz replacement.

Lolth and Zuggtmoy esist in both settings, no problem.

Tharizdun is really the one behind the curtain, but IIRC it is not even mentioned until the continuation adventure RtToEE. This is the hardest one to replace IMHO: Shar could be the closest match but personally I see Shar as brilliant and subtle, and Tharizdun as insane and gross... Ghaunadaur could work better.

Li Shenron

Legend
Tharizdun has Insanity, Cold, Decay, and Entropy, so you may as well throw Vecna or Cyric in his place.

The only reason why I personally wouldn't use these two, is that they are both ascended mortals, while Tharizdun is very ancient. I don't see Vecna or Cyric be thoroughly dedicated to annihilate existence.

But this is just an image factor, from a game point of view this is practically irrelevant, and ToEE would work just fine :)

krupintupple

First Post
For a campaign I DM'ed a few years back, I actually did exactly what you're discussing. I plunked the Temple in the foothills of the Greypeak mountains, and tinkered with things a little to get it to work. You're more than welcome to check out the campaign wiki that I made to keep track of things for my players:

Darkness in the Delimbiyr | Obsidian Portal

p.s. For my purposes, I swapped out Tharizdun for Ghaunadaur, as they're both really ancient and formless evils, and both are called the Elder Eye, and both seem to love fronting secret cults.

Last edited:

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
The only reason why I personally wouldn't use these two, is that they are both ascended mortals, while Tharizdun is very ancient. I don't see Vecna or Cyric be thoroughly dedicated to annihilate existence.

But this is just an image factor, from a game point of view this is practically irrelevant, and ToEE would work just fine :)

Just change Tharizdun to an unnamed Elder Evil as he won't matter unless you continue on your way with Return to the TOEE and other modules of it's ilk.

Nebten

First Post
Moander is who you want to sub Tharizduin for. Both banished gods, thought to have been dead.

Helm can replace St. Cuthbert.

Vecna is a Greyhawk lich/deity (depending on your timeline)

Iuz can be Bhaal or Bane.

Have fun!

edhart1963

First Post
FR Placement

I know this is an older thread. I placed mine in the Silver Marches. Hommlet became Quaervarr as the sizes were similar. I then just placed the moathouse, Nulb, the temple etc. at the appropriate distances from each other. Silverymoon is in essence Verbobonc. Crater mines were in the Spine of the World, etc. I just had to add the back history to that part of the Realms. Deities were St. Cuthbert = Helm, Iuz = Velsharoon, I left Tharizdun as Tharizdun to keep the mystery up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads