• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tensor's Floating Disk as Travel...

Greatfrito

First Post
So... has anyone ever seen a Tensor's Floating Disk used as a form of travel? Like, can it carry enough weight to be used as a levitating platform with which the wizard can just sorta... float along... ?

So... that just seems so... odd. Anyone else seen it used?

RithTheAwakener

First Post
Haha I love that spell. Yes our group does use it as low level transport if we even ever get the spell in the first place. Its more of a joke than anything, seeing someone flying around on a little disk, but fun none-the-less.

Telperion

First Post
RithTheAwakener said:
Haha I love that spell. Yes our group does use it as low level transport if we even ever get the spell in the first place. Its more of a joke than anything, seeing someone flying around on a little disk, but fun none-the-less.

My group put it to good use while we were still playing by 3.0 rules. The groups sorcerer polymorphed into a Dragon, and then cast Tensor's Floating Disk. The sorcerer was so powerful that she could carry all the gear and the party to boot on her back and on the Floating Disk. I liked the way they traveled, although it was pure hell on the neighborhood. A dragon towing around a floating disk full of adventurers, gear and treasure moving at a base speed of 250ft. Yes, they loved it :D .

Last edited:

RithTheAwakener

First Post
A dragon towing around a floating disk full of adventurers, gear and treasure moving at a base speed of 250ft.

Hahahaha that sounds awesome. The best my group did was cast a Disk, then used illusions to make it look like the disk was a chariot for royalty, with horses and everything. It was creative to say the least, even though it served little overall purpose :D

shilsen

Adventurer
Greatfrito said:
So... has anyone ever seen a Tensor's Floating Disk used as a form of travel? Like, can it carry enough weight to be used as a levitating platform with which the wizard can just sorta... float along... ?

So... that just seems so... odd. Anyone else seen it used?

This is a topic which comes up every few months on these boards. I'd started one years ago about "Tenser's Floating Sedan Chair", as I called it, and though it went on for a few pages, there was no real consensus. I personally would allow it.

Posting this in the Rules Forum might get you more responses.

evileeyore

Mrrrph
Yeah in one game we had a different problem with this. See our Sorceror was using the Shadow Conjuring spells to mimic the lower level spells.

Well he created a Shadow Tenser's Floating Disk and then cast fly so the group could be towed behind him.

Our question was "If the disk is only like 20 or 50% real does it only hold us up like half the time?"

Suffice to say the DM didn't require Will saves to (dis)believe in the Disk, and it held up fine. But there were a few tense moments hovering over the vast empty space when the DM's eyes lit up, he cackled evily, and rolled dice. I think he just wanted to see us sweat...

TTFN

EvilE

Flyspeck23

First Post
Does anyone know/remember the Discs of Tzeentch of Warhammer-fame? That's essentially the same thing (although it's a demon, not a spell effect).

clark411

First Post
I read the spell to state that it follows its caster.. it'll always be behind the wizard, and not close enough for him to sit upon without it saying "Whoa I'm not behind him!" and then back away in time for him to land on the floor.

This of course, conjured up the alternative of Wizard Mass Transit Systems. One wizard can't do squat, but with 10 lined up, one mage can sit upon the Disk of the man infront of him who cast it... and they can make this line as long as they want. The only catch is that the "Driver" of this magic school bus would either have to walk, or ride a magic carpet. That said, it still allowed for the stately processions of wizards in pointy hats discussing the latest vintage of Githzerai Void Cheese heading down the cobblestone streets without so much as a single bump... while nobles with palanquins pass at a leisurely pace wondering when they'll all grow up and discover mundane labor.

Last edited:

DragonLancer

Adventurer
In my last campaign, the players used Tensors Floating Disc to travel between cubes on Acheron.

They hung something under it to form "ground" and then the mage who was flying moved it slowly in the direction where they wanted to go.

Interesting use of the spell indeed.

Remove ads