• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Testament: In the Shadow of Sinai. (full)

Maerdwyn

First Post
Sorry to hear that, CK. Good luck in classes :)

Okay, we now have:

Tonguez: Tsedeq (Ftr4), a massive and warlike Danite defender of the people.

Humble Minion: _______ Rgr4?,

Ghostknight: ________ Rog4, the fanatic Egyptian convert.

Andrew D Gable: Asenath (Spy4), the quick tempered daughter of the Naphtali tribe, and mother of 6 year-old Miriam.

Yangnome: still working.

Last edited:

yangnome

First Post
Don't forget me. I'm still waffling on my character concept, but I did go pick up the book today. I'll give it a read through and hopefully post concept and stats by tomorrow.

As for system, 3.0 is fine....or if everyone else prefers, 3.5 To be honest, I'm more concerned about feel of the game rather than the system we use. I too would prefer a grim/gritty/Epic game of Biblical proportion. I am also happy to see ghostknight joining up. He? should add an interesting perspective to the game.

Maerdwyn

First Post
yangnome said:
Don't forget me. I'm still waffling on my character concept, but I did go pick up the book today. I'll give it a read through and hopefully post concept and stats by tomorrow.

As for system, 3.0 is fine....or if everyone else prefers, 3.5 To be honest, I'm more concerned about feel of the game rather than the system we use. I too would prefer a grim/gritty/Epic game of Biblical proportion. I am also happy to see ghostknight joining up. He? should add an interesting perspective to the game.
DOH!

Sorry Yangnome!

Didn't mean to leave you off! As we're full after all, we're set to go as soon as characters are done and *minor* issues like the edition of rules we're using are set ;)

Maerdwyn

First Post
Sounds good, Yangnome. Let me know if you need anything.

BTW, I'll try to post the piety rules, or at least a condensation of them for those of you without the book.

The book lists various sins, and the amount of piety you lose for committing each. (The lists vary based on culture.) I'm also trying to come up with a chart of sample affirmative mitzvot and the amount of piety gained for each, since the specifics an how to gain piety are somewhat lacking in the book.

Well, because of the high rank requirements in cross-class skills, going from ranger to prophet would be very slow, and if the prophet prestige class gives spellcasting advancement only in an existing class, it's hardly worth the trouble.

I'll put my character choice on hold for a bit - I should be able to get hold of the book tomorrow, and I'll have a good look through it then and decide what I'm going to do.

Ghostknight

First Post
Since I don't know the rules for piety I cannot specify how these would affect it, but here are some affirmative mitzvot (don't know what are in the book so probably will double up on what is there)

• Tzitzit - fringes on the corner of a four cornered garment - one thread of "tchelet" a shade of blue
  • Tzedakah - giving charity, highest form is giving somebody a livelihood, followed by neither giver nor receiver knowing each other down to giving unwillingly after being asked
  • Tefillin - I think the english for these is "phylacteries", put on in the morning during the morning prayers
  • Assisting a widow/orphan/sick etc with a livelihood
  • Blessings said before eating foods - different ones for each category although some foods like grape products and bread have specific blessings
  • Visiting the sick
  • Visiting the bereaved
  • Praying three times a day (morning must be within two hours of sunrise), afternoon and evening (often done back to back to make it easier to gather people together)
  • Afficing a mezuzah to the doorposts of your home
  • Taking the first fruits to the temple
  • Taking the first of the harvest to the temple
  • Helping to prepare a dead body for burial
  • Helping to bury a body
  • Sitting with a corpse overnight when necessary

I have only used items that are positive commandments - in other words not doing them is not a sin. There are more - but the list could get really long!

Yanghome - something for you to consider in your history. A levite priest is properly termed a Kohen and is a descendant of Aaron. The sons of Aaron born in Egypt had to do some deed before becoming a Kohen, those born after Egypt and all the descendants automatically became Kohenim (plural of Kohen)

As to game version - I lean towards 3.5 purely because my 3.0 books have been given away! :\

Maerdwyn

First Post
Piety: a score reflecting how well a character has honored the tenets of his religion. A pious person may receive boons or miracles, an impious person may be cursed.

Once per game session, the character with a positive piety score can ask for a boon from his god. Samples include: increasing hit points or healing damage, smiting evil, improving saving throws, improving skill checks, or receiving the benefit of a divination spell.

Characters with negative piety may become the victims of a bestow curse, or worse.

All characters begin play with a piety of 0. There is no lower limit to piety, but the maximum upper limit is the character's wisdom score +1.

Characters gain and lose piety based on their actions. As the characters in this party are all Israelites, I'm only going to list actions pertaining to them. These lists are not nearly exhaustive.

Sample Major Sins (-5 piety or greater)
Premeditated Murder
Sacrificing a human
Using arcane magic (actually, this is -1/spell level)
Having positive contact with a devil or foreign god
Raising, Animating, or consorting with the dead
Publicly worshipping a false or foreign god

Sample Sins (-2 to -4)
Rape
Swearing a false oath
Dishonoringand/or striking one's parents
Causing another to sin to stumble
Privately worshipping a foreign god
Teaching children falsely
Theft
Cheating and employee of wages
Breaking the Sabbath
Knowingly drinking blood or eating part of a live animal
Adultery
Kidnapping
carving a graven image to be worshipped
Marrying a Gentile

Sample Minor Sins (-1)
Inhospitality
Failing to instruct your son in the Lord's laws
Failong to teach your how to earn a living
Knowingly eating unclean animals
Tattooing self/being willingly tattooed
Vandalism
Insulting a priest or prophet
Weilding a weapon on consecrated ground
Trimming one's beard at the corners
To give charity to an extent that your family suffers
Transvestism

Sample Blessings (Positive changes to piety)

General Religious Observance
Minimal: Observes major holidays, endeavors to follow commandments in public
Common: Observes most holidays, follows major commandments in public and private, sets aside time each year for religious study
Uncommon: Observes all holidays, follows all major, and most minor commandments, even in private, and sets aside time each month for religious study
Diligent: As uncommon, but with even more effort to follow all commandments, and setting aside time for study eah week.

Marying another Israelite
Having a child
Tsedekah (Giving charity)
Visiting the sick or bereaved
Helping prepare a body for a funeral
Helping bury a body
Sitting with a body overnight
Protecting innocent life at a cost to self
Publicly rebuking a sinner at cost to self
Relieving a neighbor's burden
Destroying idols
Sacrificing to the Lord

Temptations:
By Sacrificing 1 point of piety, a chracter may gain a 1 time +4 to any one in-game roll (not during character genreation or levelling up, for example).

By taking a -2 penalty to Piety, a chracter may attempt to give another the Evil Eye (-2 to all saves for a day or more, or until a remove curse)

By taking a -4 penalty to piety, a character may curse in the manner of the Egyptians by fashioning a wax figure of the victim and burning it. This figure is called an isefet, and it's victim suffers a -2 on all saves and hit rolls until a remove curse is applied.

Ghostknight - what do you think the obligations of Israelites at this time (pre-Temple, also before much interaction with Canaan) would have been to non Jews, in terms of charity and other commandments, for example? The party may be spending a lot of time away from home. :)

Ghostknight

First Post
Hmm, I find some of these categories a bit wrong from the Jewish way of thinking.

In the major sins categories I would include all the following as these are the ONLY things one cannot do to save a life

Murder, Sexual immorality (specifically adultery, bestiality, incest, anal sex), bow down to idols and deliverately publicly break a sin to profane the name of God. Anything else goes if it is in order to save a life.

The commandments did not vary much pre-Temple. The main issue really being that with the temple sacrifices could only be offered there rather than elsewhere. Charity is not mandatory towards non-Jews, but is considered exemplary behavior, especially if it brings a non-Jew to bless God (not become a Jew necessarily).

In terms of the other commandments it would vary, especially when the oyther person is an idol worshipper (normally referenced to Baal, but would apply to any of the ancient idol worshipping cultures). Generally the Torah is VERY negative about those cultures, stating that they as a rule were not honest or trustworthy and one is not obligated to behave in such a manner towards them, especially if it would provide them an advantage. For non-idol worshipping cultures the rule is different but I do not know of any ancient civilisations at the time that this would apply to.

Remove ads