• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thanksgiving Weekend

Fists.o.Fury

First Post
Well that really is the basis for most RPG games in a sense. You need to be creative - the mechanics, while more complex in other games, are often just simple bookeeping procedures and objects that make the game fair.

In any case the more the merrier, i'd like to see a large group of people doing some insane hong kong action-film scenes. Woo!

BSF

Explorer
OK, that's cool.

Right now we have Brandon and my friend Karl as committed.
Melinda and Mike are possibilities.
Dave and my friend TJ are remote possibilities.
Sadly it doesn't look like there is much other interest within the group.

Right now I will plan on a smaller game, but I might generate a couple of extra characters in case schedules open up.

BSF

Explorer
OK, here is the current status.

Brandon and his wife Megan will be playing.
Karl is a likely candidate, but he isn't 100% yet.
Melinda and Mike are both possibilities, but we won't know for sure until Friday at some time.
TJ is still a remote possibility.
Dave, Sage, Victor and Russ are all firm no's.
Nobody else has mentioned anything so I don't think they have any interest.
I was going to see if Peter was going to be in town and wanted to play, but I couldn't ever get him to respond to IM. Still, if anybody sees him in town let him know he is welcome on Friday night.

I will make up at least 5 characters, with a 6th if I have time.

For those that are playing, you need to bring a pencil, maybe some paper and 2 six-sided dice. Each die should be a different color so everyone can quickly and easily tell them apart. Characters will be pregenerated. I was going to attach the PDF briefing, but it is too large to post here. Instead, grab it from the source. Feng Shui Task Check Briefing This will give you the basics for mechanics. Read through it a couple of times to get the hang of it. When reading about sequences think about it like this.

I will use The Matrix as an example.

The scene is where the fight takes place. The lobby of the security center
The sequence is how a scene broken down and shots break down each sequence.
  1. Sequence - Metal Detectors
    • Shot - Neo opens coat
    • Shot - guard freaks out tries to draw gun
    • Shot - Neo outdraws guards begins shooting
    • Shot - Guards are mooks, can't hit Neo, call for backup
    • Shot - Trinity starts blowing folks away
    • Shot - Everyone down, Neo throws guns down, grabs bag
  2. Sequence - Elevator Lobby
    • Shot - Elevators open and guards come out
    • Shot - Bag drops, Trinity and Neo split up
    • multiple shots - A whole lotta ass-kicking ensues
  3. Probably Sequence 2+ in Elevator Lobby
    • More multiple shots - more ass-kicking
  4. Wash, Rinse, Repeat

I think you get the idea? Even if my example is less than accurate? Incidentally, the Matrix is a pretty good action movie to use for inspiration for wacky action movie fun.

Speaking of which, if you have time watch some action movies to get you in the mood before the game. Especially chinese action movies. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; Hero; House of Flying Daggers; Rumble in the Bronx; (Or anything by Jackie Chan); Big Trouble in Little China; the Matrix; and other similar films.

You will want to remember a few things while playing.
  • Your character begins nearly at the top of his (her) game. This is not a 1st level D&D character! At whatever it is you are good at, you kick ass and take names, but only if you want to know whose ass you just kicked. If you were an NBA basketball player, you would be a top-notch starter, not a bench warmer. Do not be shy, because that is not what Feng Shui is about.
  • When you are doing an action, make it exciting, not boring. You don't 'hit the guy'. You 'grab his jacket, pull it over his head so he can't see and then knee him over the desk'. Have fun with it and be creative with your action narrative.

Right now, I will be creating a character that is a good fix-it guy for Brandon and a martial-artist type for Megan. If you want to play and you have a preference, let me know. Otherwise I will just make up some stuff and you can choose.

The game will be taking place in Hong Kong, 1996. You all speak Cantonese and that is magically the language everyone else speaks. (Who ever heard of language barriers in action movies?) You will find out more Friday night, so plan to just have some fun.

Remove ads