That player in the back of the room

DocSharpe

Explorer
So I had a few players at one of the tables approach me with an interesting complaint. There's a player at their table who had been playing a pacifist character. You know the one...a cleric who doesn't do anything but heal. A decent roleplayer, but one that added very little to combat scenarios. They were initially fine with this, because he was at least healing them.

Come the new season, and he's playing a very similar character...except this one is a rogue entertainer. He roleplays up a storm...but it's the kind of roleplay he could be doing in a box...just describing how he's off in a corner playing his fiddle. Combat comes along...he hides and doesn't help. They've a few near TPKs already, and these players are getting frustrated...not because he's playing a character concept to the T...but because AL rules state that he gets an equal share of the rewards.

Its not the first time this has come up with this player, and when I chatted about people being frustrated with his playstyle, he shrugs and says that it's his character and it's how HE wants to play it. (The argument that it's a group game doesn't hold water with him).

So I'm curious...while I know I can't suggest that the DM withhold equal rewards to this player (or can he?) ...is there anything that can be done for these players to make them feel better about carrying dead weight at their table?

Ainulindalion

First Post
First off, suggest that a bard might fit his character concept better.

Second, cowards (which it sounds like this character is) don't become adventurers, so suggest that his story doesn't make sense.

Third, he's acting like an NPC. NPCs who don't participate in combat don't get a share of the XP. Neither should he.

Fourth, have the other players RP their characters being disgusted with his actions after combat. See if that provokes a response.

First off, suggest that a bard might fit his character concept better.

Second, cowards (which it sounds like this character is) don't become adventurers, so suggest that his story doesn't make sense.

Third, he's acting like an NPC. NPCs who don't participate in combat don't get a share of the XP. Neither should he.

Fourth, have the other players RP their characters being disgusted with his actions after combat. See if that provokes a response.

First off, every player is entitled to play the way that they want to as long as they are being respectful to the rest of the table. What the player is doing is not disrespectful, it is simply disconnected. It's up to the DM how the enemies target the party and adjust it so that there is either compensation for the fact that there is party minus one or that it's impossible to hide every single combat without being targeted. The hiding PC has to be somewhere around near enough to get caught up in the action spilling in his direction; enemies can also appear where least expected.

EDIT: After reading the original post again, it's possible that the player is more than disconnected and possibly crossed the line to disrespect - one more conversation with the player in dispute can definitely make it clear what this is.

Second, cowards get dragged into adventures all the time, especially when there are circumstances that force them to deal with danger.

Third, no it's organized play so the DM must follow the rules, and NPCs wouldn't get nearly as much "screen time". The player's character is in a position where the party can regularly ask him (or demand) for help outside of combat so that is already more than a NPC.

Fourth, the players should RP their characters normally. Telling other people how to play their own characters is big no no. If the PCs already know that their companion is a coward, they wouldn't expect much from him anyway except for the non-combat situations where his skills are useful.

EDIT: Telling the other people how to play their own characters is a big no no but in a group game, there needs to be some consideration for the other players at the table.

EDIT: POST #48 on this thread is my official answer to the problem. More communication and making sure that the disconnected player understands what his effect is on the rest of the table before any drastic measures are considered.

Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
make them feel better about carrying dead weight at their table?
Begging the question: is this player valuable?

If the rest of the players think Adventurer's League is primarily about combat, (which it is, for all I know) then this player is probably in the wrong group. If the rest of the players are there to have fun and roleplay, they need to step back and reexamine the situation.

Command? examine room

The DM needs to stop ignoring this person and make his character participate and earn his share of the rewards. Have monsters appear right by the character, if possible. Have ranged attackers try to target him. If it is the same DM every time for this group, then it is that DM's fault as much as it is the player's. If he is no longer ignored, he will either participate more or he will look for another table where he can get away with this BS.

DocSharpe

Explorer
The players had actually suggested that he play a bard, since the bard would be able to not only heal, but provide inspiration. The player seemed very turned off by this idea.

Third, no it's organized play so the DM must follow the rules, and NPCs wouldn't get nearly as much "screen time". The player's character is in a position where the party can regularly ask him (or demand) for help outside of combat so that is already more than a NPC.

Been wondering about this. The modules typically state: "Total up all combat experience earned for defeated foes, and divide by the number of characters present in the combat." That is the AL rule...but the question is "at what point is he no longer 'present'"? If the DM is chasing him around with half the bad guys, then he's essentially an involuntary tanker, and is part of the combat despite his best intention. (Side note...this didn't go over well when we tried it with him). But if he's effectively vanishing at the beginning of the fight for the entire duration, is the DM justified in considering him "not present"?

Begging the question: is this player valuable?

If the rest of the players think Adventurer's League is primarily about combat, (which it is, for all I know) then this player is probably in the wrong group. If the rest of the players are there to have fun and roleplay, they need to step back and reexamine the situation.

The other players are also roleplayers...which makes this problem more difficult. If he was the face of the group, there would be some sense of balance. We have tried to work with the player...at first, we were concerned that maybe he was always waiting for that point when everyone else just stopped and waited for him to do his whole thing. *He* seems happy enough with how things go...it's the other players who are ticked.

I think what I'm looking to do is determine if, because the 'carrot' isn't having much of an effect, there is an "in-game stick" which we can tie to his in-game actions. (Or if there are more carrots I haven't considered)

NeverLucky

First Post
D&D is a cooperative game, and organized play even more so. Someone who doesn't help the party complete their objectives as a general rule is being selfish and acting disruptive to the game. "That's what my character would do" is not a valid excuse for disrupting the game, and not assisting in combat at all absolutely qualifies as disruptive. Realistically, a party of adventurers in dangerous situations would not lug around someone who is a complete waste of space in said dangerous situations. However, in organized play, they don't have the option of kicking someone out of the team, and they're required to split all rewards evenly between everyone. As a result, players have a social obligation to build characters who would in fact be someone the party is interested in keeping around.

This is a player problem, not a character problem. Talk to the player, and make it absolutely clear that he's being disruptive and causing problems to the group. You can help him work some roleplaying reasons for the character to change if need be. For example, I had one player play a cowardly rogue who never helped in combat, but he eventually found a bear costume that brought out his inner courage and got him in the fights. Alternatively, help him build his character in a way that he can still assist while staying as far from danger as possible. Bard was already suggested, but life cleric, mastermind rogue, and archer characters can all help without attacking or at least without going into close combat. Finally, as a stopgap measure, you as DM can stop taking the character into account when adjusting encounter strength. For example, a party of five at average APL which includes him would instead be treated as a party of four and thus a weak party instead of an average one. This doesn't fix the reward distribution problem, but at least it mitigates the potential TPK problem.

devlin1

Explorer
If the DM is chasing him around with half the bad guys, then he's essentially an involuntary tanker, and is part of the combat despite his best intention. (Side note...this didn't go over well when we tried it with him).
So?

Seriously, so what? He's getting treated like the rest of them and being attacked in combat. He knew the risks when he bought the ticket. Why would his complaint that monsters attacked his character get taken seriously at all? It's D&D -- this is the sort of thing that tends to happen to adventurers. People who aren't inclined to participate in adventures generally don't become adventurers. Can't take the heat? Get out of the dungeon.

If he doesn't like being forced to participate (and doesn't get the hint), he can play somewhere else, or not at all. If he's so into roleplaying his character to the hilt, has the question "Why are you even here?" ever come up?

I completely appreciate having a character concept and wanting to stick to it, but AL players aren't operating in a vacuum. You need a concept that can fit into the dominant paradigm enough to work with others and get things done. If you have a concept you love that doesn't comply with that simple requirement, that's a PC for a non-AL game, or maybe even just a PC for another game entirely. Or an NPC for a game you run! Sometimes you have to kill your darlings.

rballison

First Post
As has been mentioned, I think you need to talk to the player. This is a player problem not a character problem. In our party we have a non-combatant cleric. She is totally optimized for non combat skills, buffs and healing. Her attack modifier is a -1 to hit. She typically stands in the second rank, behind the combatants, and uses heals and buffs. She participates in the combat in that way but if the whole front line goes down or some other strange situation happens she will pull out her weapon and swing away with her massive -1 to hit. On those rare occasions, the character (not the player) cries, complains and screams the whole time, but does it anyway. The player makes a big show of it and it makes the persona of the character more appreciated by the party. She even saved the party in our most recent encounter when she rolled a critical hit and actually took down a dangerous opponent after it had savaged our front line. She made it through about 10 encounters after character creation without using a weapon in combat (using buffs, debuffs and heals instead), but when it came down to fight or die time, she fought.
She may not do damage in most combats, but she is always right up there helping and the party never feels like she isn't doing her share, even if they realize that her optimized skill are out of combat. She does have useful combat assistance.

Even if your player is optimized for non-combat skills, he should come up for something that can help in combat, even if it is only viscous mockery and healing word. He should also be ready to actually attack in that rare instance where there really is no other reasonable option.

The TLDR version is that a player can create and play a "non-combatant" in a way that doesn't disrupt the game and upset the party. The player might need some mentoring in that direction.

Last edited:

ccs

41st lv DM
I'd suggest the other players simply aproach him outside the game & make it clear that he's really not welcome .
Granted, by playing in the AL, your limited in options during a game on accepting people. But outside game time is a different story. See if he gets the message.

Remove ads