The 10 Player Races in Volo's Guide Revealed

On its Volo's Guide to Monsters product page, Fantasy Grounds has a screenshot up listing the 10 playable races - Aasimar, Bugbear, Firbolg, Goblin, Goliath, Hobgoblin, Kenku, Kobold, Lizardfolk, Orc, Tabaxi, Triton, Yuan-ti Pureblood.

On its Volo's Guide to Monsters product page, Fantasy Grounds has a screenshot up listing the 10 playable races - Aasimar, Bugbear, Firbolg, Goblin, Goliath, Hobgoblin, Kenku, Kobold, Lizardfolk, Orc, Tabaxi, Triton, Yuan-ti Pureblood.

New-Monstrous-Races.jpg

Product Page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5EVGM
Screenshot: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/images/screenshots/Screenshots/WOTC5EVGM/New-Monstrous-Races.jpg

Biggest surprise for me is Kenku. Bugbear is also unexpected.

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.12.49.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.03.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.19.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.32.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.48.png

Save
Save
SaveSave

gyor

Legend
Aasimar have 3 subraces: The Protector (+1 Wis, can grow Wings and deal extra Radiant damage with attacks), The Scourge (+1 Con) and The Fallen (+1 Str, can activate a fear Aura and deal extra Necrotic damage with attacks)

Base all Aasimar have +2 Charisma and have the other features that the DMG Aasimar had except the spellcasting and +1 Wis (Those were replaced by the subraces).

I think they still get the light cantrip, its Lesser Restoration and Daylight that got dumped, for the ability at 3rd level to transform into some kind of Angel form for 1 minute (basically Guardian Angel, Avenging Angel, and Fallen Angel kind flavour from the sounds of it).

MiraMels

Explorer
They brought back racial stat penalties. They brought back racial stat penalties?

I have to say, I am incredibly disappointed that they did this.

Three foot tall, forty pound gnomes don't have racial stat penalties.

MiraMels

Explorer
Also, the Bugbear's Surprise Attack refers to a limit of "once per combat" which is the first time that a rule has referred to a "combat" as an explicit unit of gameplay? I understand what they are going for, but I don't like the implication of making an explicit distinction between "combat" and "non-combat" phases of the game. It feels too video game-y.

gyor

Legend
I found someone offering vague feeling from the VGTM they got, they said the the Purebloods abilities were powerful, good for any charisma based class, which is Warlocks, Paladins, Sorcerors, Bards, Rogue Swashbuckler Class.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Hmmmm... I'm getting rather curious about this book now. I've had numerous goblins NPCs (and one PC!) goblins over my gaming career, and the kenku would fit right into my yoon-suin campaign. A few others may work well too.

Cat people? They can die in a fire :p

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
They brought back racial stat penalties. They brought back racial stat penalties?

I have to say, I am incredibly disappointed that they did this.
I think it's just orcs, in which case, I approve. I didn't think they'd be able to make orcs distinctive enough from half-orcs, but they did. They gave them something no other race has. Instant distinction. I'm actually impressed.

Edit: Looks like Kobolds have a stat penalty too.

Last edited by a moderator:

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
So far every sneak peek I've seen has me more stoked for this books release. Called my FLGS for a copy of the special edition cover if they get them in.

Remove ads

Remove ads