D&D 5E The 5E Art is Awesome

5e art does little for me. Much of the monster art deviates from prior editions too much for my tastes. Some of it I like better than 4e, much of it I don't. 3.o and early 3.5 was the worst though for my tastes.

Overall, I just don't gel with anything WOTC feels the game should look like. Whether that was 1998 or 2015. I would prefer no art, frankly.

I can see what you mean, I loved the vibe of the playtest packets, no art, just gritty text.

Reynard

Legend
Wow. Much more negativity than I expected. To me, the art is really evocative and there is a lot of variation in the styles. I do agree that some line drawings would be welcome, but we really have not seen much of that in almost 30 years in the core books.

Wow. Much more negativity than I expected. To me, the art is really evocative and there is a lot of variation in the styles. I do agree that some line drawings would be welcome, but we really have not seen much of that in almost 30 years in the core books.

I know, and such a shame, the 1st Ed Deities & Demigods really sucked me in (especially the Melnibonean chapter).

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I think the variety is what I like best. I have seen depictions that remind me of every single past edition and I think thats great. However, I dislike greatly the halfling art ick. Overall though its pretty good.

ShadoWWW

Explorer
5E art is the best from the trio 5E, 4E and PF, from my point of view. I really love the art, and the best is that everytime I am browsing a book, I always find something new and excited.

5e art does little for me. Much of the monster art deviates from prior editions too much for my tastes. Some of it I like better than 4e, much of it I don't. 3.o and early 3.5 was the worst though for my tastes.

Overall, I just don't gel with anything WOTC feels the game should look like. Whether that was 1998 or 2015. I would prefer no art, frankly.

I can see what you mean, I loved the vibe of the playtest packets, no art, just gritty text.

I can't agree with you at all and don't get how you could think this. I could barely read through the playtest packets because there was nothing but text and no art or fluff.

Anyway I love the art. I just wish I could find high quality versions of all of the art. Because I can't find several pieces I want to find. Like the Wight, Rakshasa, Wraith and Yugoloths.

S

Sunseeker

I like most of the art for 5th. I agree that a lot of it feels very 2nd/early D&D styled and very much less the exotic fantasy of 3rd and 4th. I don't like certain parts of the art, because I largely don't like Greyhawk AT ALL.

Remove ads