D&D 5E The 5E Art is Awesome

bogmad

First Post
I will admit to liking all the art pretty well, with the standard aside of not really digging the halflings very much

BUT
I do chuckle to myself every time I see one of the worst offending pieces and can't shake the idea that they used This Guy as a reference.

Its OK. Some really good, some awful. The halflings are horrid, they went from 3e mini elves which I hated, to these grotesque monsters. If I ever saw something like that I'd run over and kill it. ;) But a lot of really good stuff. Could use some Otis but then again so could every D&D book.
Every toddler in the world ducks for cover.
(They have the proportions of a 3yo.)

They have the proportions of a 3yo.
I doubt that.
Proof.png

So... the moral is 3-year-olds would look creepy as f*** with adult features and quasi-medieval clothing.

Sacrosanct

Legend
It's not necessarily the proportions that bug me, but the artist's style. I'm sorry, but just about every piece that artist did I really don't like. It looks half finished and amateur. The half orc and tiefling are other examples of art like that.

rosing-bull

First Post
I'm a bit of an art snob, but the books definitely have some good illustrations in them, and I prefer them overall to the 3d and 4th edition art. I actually think that the best piece in each book got used for the title pages: the whirling dervish looking fellow in the PHB, the red dragon in the MM and the modron march in the DMG. I almost wish each of those had composed the books' respective covers. I do really like the Player's Handbook cover, though.

Overall, I really like the full-page and half-page pieces, and in particular I love all of the background illustrations of landscapes and cityscapes--really good stuff that adds a lot for atmosphere. In general, my least favorite art is in the Player's Handbook and my favorite pieces are in the DMG, though the Monster Manual is most consistent overall--I guess I'm less into monster illustrations as a whole.

Also the oft-mentioned status illustrations are fantastic, as are all the other sketches by that artist. I'm not sure who it was.

YourSwordIsMine

First Post
better than the crazy dreadlock halflings of 4e IMO

Over all, I am really liking the 5e art. Its not the "Bondage Gear" look of 3.x, nor is it the "ACTIONALLTHETIMEADHDD&DSQUIRREL!1" art of 4e/Pathfinder.

Of the WoTC editions, its probably my favorite. None of it stands out as to what I see as D&D still though.

elmore-dragon-slayers.jpg

That is still D&D to me. Nothing by WoTC has come close to inspiring as this one simple piece of art.

rosing-bull

First Post
That is still D&D to me. Nothing by WoTC has come close to inspiring as this one simple piece of art.

I don't know, the full-page illustration of the party at the beginning of chapter 1 of the DMG definitely gives me similar vibes to that painting.

Also I was pleased/amused that the only sexy art in the entire Dungeon Master's Guide was abs-guy on page 33.

Remove ads