The Abyssal Campaign (~260pg).

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I just wanted to say that I enjoy reading your updates. Thanks for posting them!

Oh- the lantern the mad hermit has- wouldn't it be easier to say that the dark creatures treat creatures in the radius of its illumination as if they had full concealment?

Zappo

Explorer
Treating characters within the light radius as invisible to the creatures means that the monsters will still wander around in large numbers, and attack squares taking the 50% miss chance.
The aversion effect means that the creatures will see and approach the hermit, but they can't quite get near. I think this is more fun because the monsters will circle around the hermit just outside his normal field of view, unable to come closer and unwilling to go away. After talking to the hermit, the PCs have to break through the circle of monsters.

It was a fun encounter. I played the hermit as if he didn't quite know about the creatures of darkness, and was convinced that he lived in a fairly lonely layer. It really weirded out the PCs. :D

The next update, when I can find the time to complete it, will see the PCs out of the 76th layer and into the 1st. Probably, it'll have less combat and more politics.

Li Shenron

Legend
Zappo said:
I am about to begin a stage with the local national research council, and after that I'll leave Italy for 5 months to study abroad. I don't know whether the stage means slightly less free time or no free time at all, and I have absolutely no clue as to what studying abroad will involve. I can promise that I will complete the adventure (heck, my players would kill me otherwise), but when, eh.... could be anything.

[OT]CNR? What kind of research are you doing? Have you already decided the target country?[/OT]

Zappo

Explorer
Yes, CNR. I have completed the stage a couple days ago - I worked on open-source videoconferencing applications on IP-based networks. As for the study abroad - look at the other link in my sig. :)

RC Hagy

Explorer
Now that I have caught up... how do I put this kindly...

There is nothing in there which I could not change quick or twist to my own nefarious purposes!

Good stuff, keep 'em moving!

RC Hagy
Vermont

Allanon

Explorer
I like the adventure, but there is one thing that isn't right.
The speeds of the NPC's. You've used the 2nd edition speeds, for instance the retriever has a speed of 15 according to you're write-up while in 3.5 that would be 50ft. But other than that I haven't been able to find any more faults (yet;)). Keep up the good work :D

Zappo

Explorer
Not exactly: I'm using the speed in meters. They are numerically equal to 2e speeds, but only by pure chance. :D

That's what is most useful for me, because it's what we use in actual play (Italian D&D uses the metric system). If people find it to be a real hindrance, I could easily convert to imperial units.

Last edited:

Moe Ronalds

First Post
Out of curiosity, is there a version of this available on the web? My version of word is having a tought time with the document. The bits of the intro I got to read are really keen though.

Remove ads