The Anti-Pokemon sentiment: Taking it to far...

chatdemon

First Post
Re: Bad form

SemperJase said:
More Christian bashing. First is a story that is obviously false and written to portray Christians negatively. Then the same old Chick.com reference.

SJ, this thread is pretty tame compared to some I've seen in the past. I wouldn't let it get to you. As you seem to be pointing out, Chick & company are not representative of all of the Christian faith by a long shot, and people dishing back the same bile he slings at us (Us being gamers as a collective) doesn't mean they are bashing the religion as a whole. I agree that attacks on real world religion have no place here, which is un doubtedly the reason Eric, and now Morrus, generally forbid the topic. I just think you might be reading too much into this particular thread.

Just as there are some gamers who act like idiots and use the game as an excuse when they decide to wreak havoc, putting a blemish on a portion of our reputation in the eyes of people like Jack Chick (who, believe it or not, I do believe means well, he's just a little too overzealous for my liking, and seems to forget the big idea taught in Christianity of loving your neighbors and leaving judgement in the hands of the higher powers), there are likewise people like Jack Chick (and others, he isn't the only one, he's just the most vocal anti-gamer) who give a portion of the religion a bad name in the eyes of gamers.

What we all need to remember before going off on anti-Chick rants though is, he doesn't speak for all Christians, just like the few nutcase gamers he uses as evidence against us don't speak for all of us. Just reread any such post before hitting the 'Submit' button and say to yourself "If this was directed at my faith, would I be offended?" If the answer is "yes" or even "maybe", just tone down your post, or take it somewhere like nutkinland, where such discourse is welcome. I've learned (slowly and stubbornly, admittedly) that it's a better tactic here to avoid rocking the boat for no reason and trying to keep things friendly and welcoming to all.

Oogar

First Post
Sorry, despite what we may like to think (That gaming really is on the minds of people, and they view it as part of the world). I would hazard a guess that most people think as much about gaming as non-Japanese think about Sumo. Yes, some people get into it, and most people are aware that it exists, but it really does not matter to the masses enough to care greatly.

Remove ads