• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Artful Borrower, possibly HORRIBLY unbalanced, help needed

Rahkan

First Post
EDIT: Hey, if its a horrible piece of mind muck, at least tell me that. If you want a better formatted version, go to the link below.

The Artful Borrower

A beautiful Prestige Class, tell me if you think it be overpowered. My reasoning is that it has such a focused aim that most PCs would not take it unless it did that thing really really well.

The Artful Borrower
The Artful Borrower is a man, woman, or androgyne, who is always self-possessed, along with everyone else's possessions. He acquires things like most people breath, artfully letting them slide into the voluminous storage space always on his person. He is on you scarcely before you can breath, a flurry of soft touches like a drunken boor in a subway car crowded with beautiful women. He has a hand in everyone's pockets, seemingly by magic, and he never goes without. He would be an infuriating opponent for the characters, a minor player whom they always defeat but who always leaves with a few of their valuables.

Requirements
To qualify to become an Artful Borrower, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Any non-Lawful
Pick Pocket: 8 ranks
Escape Artist: 5 ranks
Bluff: 5 ranks
Feats: Skill Focus(Pick Pockets), Expertise

Class Skills
The Charismatic General's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Decipher Script (Int, exclusive skill), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Innuendo (Wis), Intuit Direction (Wis), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Pick Pocket (Dex), Profession (Wis), Read Lips (Int, exclusive skill), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha, exclusive skill), and Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int Modifier

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Artful Borrowers prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Artful Borrowers gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Master Thief: You gain a +5 competence bonus to Pick Pockets checks, this increases to +10 at 2nd level, +15 at 4th level and +20 at 5th level

Long Arms: When you make a pickpocket attempt you can attempt to take small objects (or smaller) from a person that you can see and that he wouldn't notice if suddenly removed (earring, beltpouch, etc). You can also attempt to slit his backpacks and see what comes out, in which case on a successful attempt the DM should randomly determine which of the NPCs Small items are gotten, or generate some. At level 5 you may pickpocket medium objects (hats, coats, backpacks, etc) your skill being such that the character doesn't even notice they are gone, but the DC for the attempt is increased to 40 and the character gains a +10 circumstance bonus to their spot check.

Voluminous Cavities: You are adept at making space for your possessions in any clothing (even a chainmail bikini, though thats best not delved into). You can store 3 lbs worth of equipment per Artful Borrower level on your person (no one piece of equipment may weigh more than 3 lbs). For a person to find any specific item about your person requires them to pass a Search check with a DC of 40 + twice your Artful Borrower level. Of course if they go to drastic measures (strip searching with cavity search...they will find it)

Spin Control: When within five feet of a creature with whom you are not engaged in combat the Artful Borrower may attempt to escape from him by combining a bluff check (opposed by his spot check) with a full move action. If successful then he only gains a partial action the next turn.

Wriggle Free: You gain a +20 competence bonus to Escape Artist checks

Stealthy Swiping: You can attempt to pick the pockets of someone looking directly at you, or even threatening the space you are standing in. You only incur an attack of opportunity if detected.

Improved Disarm: Many people who live by the sword also live in debt to the sword, they put most of their money into their weapons...which is why the Artful Borrower tries to live off their weapons. The character gains the Improved Disarm feat.

Flurry of Hands: As a full-round action, you may make 3+Dexterity Modifier number of Pick Pocket attempts in a single round (but never below two). If you fail at an attempt then all attempts have their DC increased by 10.

Snatch Weapon: The character gains the Snatch Weapon* feat, from Song and Silence, for free.

Mugging: If you wield a weapon in one hand and keep the other hand free then you can combine attacls with Pick Pockets attempts. For every attack you make, you can also make a Pick Pockets attempt (this also works even if you make more than one attack per round, and it works with Attacks of Opportunity but not trips, disarms, grapples, or sunders). Both attack and attempt are resolved normally, save that the DC for the Pick Pocket attempt is 40 and for each failure the DCs for subsequent attempts are increased by 10.

*Snatch Weapon
You can disarm an opponent, then pluck the weapon from midair
Prerequisites:Expertise, Improved Disarm, Intelligence 13+
Benefit: If you succeed in disarming an opponent and you have a free hand, you can grab the weapon yourself instead of letting it fall. If you can wield that weapon in one hand, you can immediately make a single attack with it, though you suffer the usual penalties for a second attack with an off-hand weapon.
Normal: After a successful disarm attempt, the weapon winds up at the defenders' feet, unless you attempted the disarm attack while unarmed.

Level BAB For Ref Wil Special
1st +0 +0 +2 +0 Master Thief, Long Arms
2nd +1 +0 +3 +0 Voluminous Cavities, Spin Control
3rd +2 +1 +3 +1 Stealthy Swiping, Improved Disarm
4th +3 +1 +4 +1 Flurry of Hands, Wriggle Free
5th +3 +1 +4 +1 Snatch Weapon, Mugging

Last edited:

Rahkan

First Post
You see, I thought long and hard about balance issues with this class and please let me share my rationale. This class can be taken by a level 6 rogue, and at the 5th level of this class the character will be able to pickpocket just about anyone and anything, disarm people pretty decently, and escape from almost any bindings. But he also gets only 4+int skill points per level.

A level 6 rogue / 5 artful borrower has lost +3d6 sneak attack dice, 20 skill points and two special abilities versus a level 11 rogue. Thats pretty steep. The only decent combat related ability he's gained is two feats worth of disarming. Escape bonds is nice but of use only in limited circumstances. Mad Pickpocketing skills are not of use in normal combat, since anything you steal you would have gotten anyway via killing the bastard. They are only useful if the character goes and makes them useful. A level 11 rogue can whup this guy in a fight. Further, those 20 skill points hurt, since a rogue is skill-oriented and in the end the bonuses to Escape Artist and Pickpocket (relatively unused skills) do not make up for really useful skills like Spot, Search, the charisma skills, the strength skills, etc, which may have to be jettisoned for lack of points.

Now your Combat Dancer requires +6 BAB, which means that it will usually be taken at 7th level by any fighter. It cannot be taken at 6th level since one must the BAB before taking the level, and the char will not have +6 BAB until after taking the sixth level. The only disadvantage a fighter incurs by taking five levels in your class is losing 3 feats. In return he gains +10 movement, +4 to AC and Attacks (holy crap), +4 to initiative, and the equivalent of Haste for 2-3 rounds per day. +10 movement is certainly one feat, +4 to AC and Attacks. The bonus to AC I can understand, but the bonus to attacks has to increase this guy's effective fighter level by at least two levels. The haste is gravy and can be replicated by no feat. The ability to turn it on at a critical moment will make some battles far easier. The char's dexterity bonus + intelligence bonus + 4 insight bonus to AC must make up for not wearing armor esp. if the money that might have gone into magical armor goes into bracers of protection.The higher initiative is also worth at least one feat. Conclusion, is one feat worth more or less than +4 to attacks (look at Weapon Focus).

Conclusion, between a 12th level fighter and a 7th level fighter / 5th level Combat Dancer they have roughly equivalent AC, the latter has much higher attack (even if the former has weapon focus), the latter has higher initiative and the latter can turn on haste. Thus the former will have his arse whupped.

These are both fifth level prestige classes, but in terms of balance mine is almost too weak (I would never take it but for roleplaying reasons), while yours is amazingly strong.

Why is my class overpowered?

las

First Post
read the redon one its father down the page. They now dont have that ability. ill go more into deteal on yours sometime tomow.

las

First Post
One thing think of it this way. I can think of some evil things to do with your Prc.

One you have a vilin take all your PC equiment (with out them knowing). They try to get hime he gets free no matter what they do. Mine on the other hand (one they dont get the fast movemt any more) you sunder there melee weapon and there AC drops (A weekness I realised I put in there after I made the Prc). Mine has hidden requiments(High int, High dex, and High wisdom) to be the most efective. Yours is alot easer to get into mine is hard (and alot of people want that redosed). In short both can be abused (like people have been say with the monk) they just do it diffently.

Remove ads