• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Beginner Box

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Don't expect any more information on this anytime soon.

Jason Bulmahn wrote:

Just as a note to everyone in this thread,

We will not be answering any further questions about the product at this time. Other than the info in the blog post and this product description, we are going to play it close to the vest until the banquet at Paizocon!

I, personally, cannot wait.

Jason Bulmahn
Lead Designer
Paizo Publishing

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
"Pawns?" Any pics of these floating around yet? I'm curious how these will manifest.
I wonder if these (links to Paizo product, "Game Pawns") are what they're talking about.

edit: In retrospect, seeing that the Beginner Box contains over 80 of the suckers, I doubt this is the case. My money is on cardboard counters.

Last edited:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
pawns.jpg

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Do you think that if I used a yellow one for my fighter, and named him Col. Mustard, would anyone notice?...

The Auld Grump

My guess is that the pawns will be a full colour illustrated cardboard "standee". That will fit easily in the box (although the black dragon one might be quite impressive).

I think the thing I like most about this is it is not a totally new game to learn (for those who play/or have played Pathfinder/3.x) and yet it also sounds accessible for new players regardless of age (for 8+ I imagine).

I get the feeling there is a whole heap of "win" regarding this product. The Box Art looks completely and utterly awesome (if not quite having the nostalgia value of the red box for me). Who knows what the next generation of gamers are going to be nostalgic about though?

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

I'm up for a copy. Not a beginner, but my PF corebook makes my eyes bleed from info overload every time I crack it open (kinda like FRED). This sounds like just the right amount of "stuff" for my tastes.

I'd be interested if it was actually a simpler rule system. But a gutted version with limited levels so that people will move on to the "full" Pathfinder game... *shrug*

I get the feeling there is a whole heap of "win" regarding this product. The Box Art looks completely and utterly awesome (if not quite having the nostalgia value of the red box for me). Who knows what the next generation of gamers are going to be nostalgic about though?

People would be a lot less nostalgic about BECMI if TSR had said, "Here's 5 levels. When you're ready, buy the full AD&D game." How many people are nostalgic about the D&D Starter Kit? You know, this one:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Game-Dungeon-Dragons-Roleplaying/dp/0786934093]Amazon.com: D&D Basic Game (Dungeon & Dragons Roleplaying Game: Core Rules) (9780786934096): Wizards of the Coast: Books[/ame]

I'm not really seeing a difference between that and the Paizo thing. I'd be happy to be wrong though.

I realise that the realities of the rpg market are such that having 2 different product lines like Basic and AD&D isn't practical, but I personally can't get too excited about a neutered set of rules either.

enpeze66

First Post
I'd be interested if it was actually a simpler rule system. But a gutted version with limited levels so that people will move on to the "full" Pathfinder game... *shrug*

People would be a lot less nostalgic about BECMI if TSR had said, "Here's 5 levels. When you're ready, buy the full AD&D game." How many people are nostalgic about the D&D Starter Kit? You know, this one:
Amazon.com: D&D Basic Game (Dungeon & Dragons Roleplaying Game: Core Rules) (9780786934096): Wizards of the Coast: Books

I'm not really seeing a difference between that and the Paizo thing. I'd be happy to be wrong though.

I realise that the realities of the rpg market are such that having 2 different product lines like Basic and AD&D isn't practical, but I personally can't get too excited about a neutered set of rules either.

At first I thought as you do here. But after closer examination of the product description the words"simplified rules" are used and one of the employees of Paizo also made a post about this. So I guess that its really more simple than standard PF. It also has only 64 pages with all rules in it. How could that be so few pages if all overcomplex PF combat rules, skills etc. are included? Either they use a VERY small font or they just ignored alot of the rules of the normal PF rulebook monster.

Tuft

First Post

The description linked to by the OP mentions "simple" in these two sentences:
Within you’ll find simple rules to create and customize your own hero, as well as a robust system to run your character through challenging adventures and deadly battles against villainous monsters like goblins and dragons!
and
From dice to game pawns to simply stated rules, this box is the ideal entry point to the world of Pathfinder.

I think it is a bit tenuous to draw too many conclusions from those two, but I assume that is what's referred to.

Aus_Snow

First Post
The description linked to by the OP mentions "simple" in these two sentences:

--snip--
Normally I don't split hairs over words like this, but... :p

No, I'm really not, even now. "Simplified" implies something altogether different to me than does "Simple". Well, in this context, certainly.

It could be that levels 1 to 5, with fewer options (say) is referred to as "simple", and most Pathfinder players wouldn't blink at that. Not the same thing, IMO, as "simplified rules".

Remove ads