• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Best Bow...

Shallown

First Post
I had an archer character with Deepwoods sniper so I had a +1 sonic burst weapon. If I was to upgrdae it I would have gone for holy since there is plenty of evil out there and Maybe even lawful to get those chaotic people and double up on CE people.

The Burst rocked with the Deepwoods crit increase, crit range increase, keen ability and imp crit. When I critted A bonus 3d10 was sweet.

Save bane for special arrow batches as suggested.

Just a few thoughts.

later

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
THE BEST BOW EVER:

+1 Darkwood Mighty (+4) Composite Longbow +1 of:
Impact [PsiHB] (+1),
Seeking [SaF] (+1),
Holy (+2),
Honorable [OA] (+2),
Lawful (+2).

Have a GMW buddy, and you are set.

I'd stay away from elemental damages entirely. Too many things have lots of ER at higher levels (especially by the time you have a +9 bow). They are kinda overrated, IMHO. The bow described above does:

*+6d6+2 vs. CE opponents. (Yippee!)
*+4d6+2 vs. NE and CN opponents.
*+2d6+2 vs. N and LE opponents.
*negates all miss chances from any source. (Obscuring mist? Huzzah! Blink? Sit on a tack!)
If you happen to be a single-classed ranger (a remote possibility, I'm sure), then take out Lawful and add Hunting [MotW] (+1). This doubles your FE bonus to damage. Really neat.
Without a GMW buddy:

Darkwood Mighty (+4) Composite Longbow +5 of:
Holy (+2)
Seeking (+1)
Impact (+1)
A couple of questions for previous posters:

1) Where does it say you can put "wounding" on a bow?

2) Where is the "sonic" special ability located?

Dark Dragon

Explorer
Originally posted by Tolen Mar

Where? Can I get a page number for this?

Er...don't know the number of my mind, but look at the Kelvezu entry (under Demons). Greater wounding can be applied only to melee weapons, it's as a +4 enhancement.

ConcreteBuddha said:

:snip:

A couple of questions for previous posters:

1) Where does it say you can put "wounding" on a bow?

2) Where is the "sonic" special ability located?

Interesting question.

1) Well, it doesn't. One could argue that it is clearly stated for energy damage (e.g.), so wounding must be used on the arrow, not on the bow, because the arrow deals the damage. By the description of Greater Wounding, I won't allow Wounding on a bow (so I have to "build" a different bow ;) ).

2) Magic of Faerûn, "Screaming Weapon".

doesn't the bonus from GMW *not* stack but only supersede an item's inherent bonus [if greater]?
Yes, that is true. But the bonus from arrows and bows stack, though only the arrow`s bonus count against Damage Reduction.

This is the reason why many archers like to have someone with the ability to enhance their arrow (by Greater Magic Weapon, preferably), and have many energy type enhancements on their bow.

For the "best bow":
Corrosive, Flaming, Holy, Keen Shocking (?), Screaming +3 Mighty (+4) Composite Longbow might be quite useful.
Maybe even a higher "+", (at expense of some of the energy types) because it is guaranteed damage if you hit, and makes it still easier. Remember that you might want to use all of your attacks (including your "Rapid Shots" maybe) effectively...

Holy is a guaranteed extra damage for most dangerous creatures you will encounter. At least if the setting is not going to be invaded by Formian (like mine :) )

Mustrum Ridcully

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
The best +1 enchantment you can put on anything is Sure Strike. Then, you don't have to worry about not having enough enhancement bonus, since you automatically overcome Damage Reduction. Lets you play around a lot more with what damage and accuracy boosters you want.

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
Korimyr the Rat said:
The best +1 enchantment you can put on anything is Sure Strike. Then, you don't have to worry about not having enough enhancement bonus, since you automatically overcome Damage Reduction. Lets you play around a lot more with what damage and accuracy boosters you want.

Can't put Sure Striking on a bow.

Morose

First Post
Ok, I'll play the role of the non-munchkin in this thread and make the following suggestion:

Build a bow that fits the character.

Trust me, it's a lot more fun to have something that's just plain "cool" than a "+5 uber bow of everything destruction". Good "flavorful" enchantments:

Seeker (ignore concealment)
Hunting (rangers only on this one, but very in character)
Holy (effective, but also very fitting depending on the character's outlook)

There are lots of other ones that are often looked over. Check through the books and see what fits. That's my best recommendation.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads