The best DM compliment I have ever received.

BSF

Explorer
I run a game on Friday nights with a bunch of late teens. I know three of them have entered relationships, but none of them has dropped out of the game. I find it a little odd that they want to sit around playing DnD on a Friday night instead of spending time with their girlfriends then.

Does that count?

The best compliment I've gotten has to be one of the following:
1) All three of my players screaming, "you bastard!" at the same time :)
2) A player telling me, "It feels like I'm in a novel... I can't wait till the next session so I can see the next chapter!"
3) Another DM (who DMs a game I play in) saying I was evil... in the good way of course :)

Henry said:
#2: I've run a Star wars game that was so successful another player spun off another Star Wars game from it.
Now you're talking. When you have spin-offs, you know you've made it. Hopefully they were better than that Joannie and Chachi spin-off, though... ;)

diaglo

Adventurer
Joshua Dyal said:
Now you're talking. When you have spin-offs, you know you've made it. Hopefully they were better than that Joannie and Chachi spin-off, though... ;)

yeah, the best form of flattery is imitation. :D

even poorly done.

der_kluge

Adventurer
How funny. My players fought a shadow Dragon Saturday night.

No deaths, though. They were fairly concerned, however. And I did manage to do over 120 points of damage to the fighter with a rather nasty trap outside the dragon's lair.

Ylis

First Post
I had a wallflower player in my group at one time. He played with us over a year, and he still didn't break out of his shell. Then, one day, I decided I'd make up a campaign setting of my own and eventually run it. Well, I played around a bit and came up with a good setting. I ran it and lo and behold! My wallflower player got so much enjoyment out of it that he came out of his shell! That was a major compliment to me, as nothing had worked up until that point and it was the first campaign setting I made up (and it was one of the first games I ran). Of course, we haven't been able to shut him up since.... :)

Gundark

Explorer
javapadawan said:
I can't even begin to describe how pleased I was at that statement, and I think I'd count it as the best compliment I've gotten as a DM (and a wife) thus far. :)

I read my wife this post and she was thinking that compliments must come sparsely in your house :D . But then again she does game with me, just not as much as it sounds like you do.

javapadawan

First Post
Gundark said:
I read my wife this post and she was thinking that compliments must come sparsely in your house :D

Oops... I guess I should amend that statement a bit then, since I don't want to make it sound like my hubby never says nice things... quite the contrary. But the compliment in question was just so offhanded and unexpected that it took me completely by surprise. :cool:

EricNoah

Adventurer
It's great when you get a "thanks for the game" at the game itself. But a couple of times, players went out of their way to call me later on and thank me. In one case, after perhaps the most dramatic session of any in my 25 years of DMing, more than one player called or e-mailed to say they were still reliving the final encounter hours or days after it was over. I have to say I was too -- they all knocked it out of the park that night. :)

Remove ads