• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

the best system?

eduar

First Post
which believe is the best system to play epic/immortal campaign setting

a system that is stable, balanced, robust and above all supported

I thought that Pathfinder would be a good choice but with the news that maybe 2 years to publish an ELH

I am considering testing 4e If I get more people to play

Hey eduar amigo! :)

Difficult to say which is the best because different people want different things from different systems.

In terms of support you probably have to say that OD&D is the best supported system for an immortal game.

In terms of balance and ease of use I think that an immortal game based upon 1st Edition AD&D is probably the best.

For customisability I think that my Ascension pdf (while far from perfect) gives the greatest amount of options in an immortal game.

All that said, I believe 4th Edition has the most potential of all the systems, but of course that just hasn't been anywhere near realised yet. Plus the Epic Tier has been badly supported to date and really needs a lot of work done to it.

eduar

First Post
hi there

actually Ascension (has little support) is great but is linked to 3.5 and therefore no more support, but there was never much

I had never heard of OD&D. What is it?

eduar said:

Hey eduar mate! :)

actually Ascension (has little support) is great but is linked to 3.5 and therefore no more support, but there was never much

Well I suppose little support is better than no support though. ;)

I had never heard of OD&D. What is it?

Original D&D (before AD&D).

It has several Immortals related products.

(Gold Box) Immortal Rules Set

Dungeons & Dragons Immortals Rules - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wrath of the Immortals (Boxed Set)

Wrath of the Immortals Set for Classical D&D | RetroRoleplaying

Three Immortal Adventures:

Immortal Storm
Best of Intentions
The Wrath of Olympus

Dungeons & Dragons (D&D classic) Modules [I-O] - Wayne's World of Books - Info & Sources

eduar

First Post
hi there

looks pretty interesting. I like to try, how different is 3.5?

from what I saw I just need to get Rules Cyclopedia and Wrath of the Immortals. Is that correct?

And what about Dungeons & Dragons Essentials? What is supposed to be something like 4.5?

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Actually, U_K, the products you outlined are BD&D - Basic Dungeons & Dragons. That's the simpler line that ran concurrently with AD&D 1E, and lasted all the way through mid-late 2E before it was finally canceled (that is, it was "Dungeons & Dragons," as opposed to "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons," when the two were being released at the same time).

OD&D refers to supplements that were prior to First Edition, such as Chainmail or Gods, Demigods, and Heroes.

eduar said:

Ahoy eduar amigo! :)

looks pretty interesting. I like to try, how different is 3.5?

Big difference, massive simplification.

I definately recommend picking up a copy of Wrath of the Immortals, its a very interesting product.

from what I saw I just need to get Rules Cyclopedia and Wrath of the Immortals. Is that correct?

Yes that would work.

And what about Dungeons & Dragons Essentials? What is supposed to be something like 4.5?

Probably more like D&D 4.25 as far as I can tell (I don't own any Essentials products yet). Talking to S'mon about them though and he mentioned that they were much better than core 4E for character creation...and of course all the monsters have improved updated stats.

If you already have the 4E core rulebooks then I don't know if there is enough there to warrant the purchase of Essentials but certainly if you don't have Essentials then most people would suggest getting it ahead of the original 4E books.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
If you already have the 4E core rulebooks then I don't know if there is enough there to warrant the purchase of Essentials but certainly if you don't have Essentials then most people would suggest getting it ahead of the original 4E books.

From what I've heard, make sure you get the latest printings of the 4E Core Rulebooks; there was a significant amount of errata released after Fourth Edition came out...so much so that (from what I understand) the changes are not inconsiderable.

eduar

First Post
hi there

I had already heard about the errata but did not know they were so significant

from what I saw in my latest research would be great to publish an Immortal Tier for levels 31-40

Deinos

First Post
The most memorable aspect of OD&D immortals rules to me, wasn't the playing of one (they lacked any abilities that seemed particularly interesting to me -- as far as I could tell, all they had were recycled mortal abilities plus antimagic), but the way that demons were statted up as immortals... which means they are an EXTREME challenge even for level 36 humans.

If you want stability and balance, though, 4e epic levels are definitely the way to go. Its the most stable, balanced, and predictable roleplaying game ever, even at highest echelons of play!

Remove ads