• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The big announcement: 4dventure

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Thanks to the industry people (Mouseferatu, jgbrowning, Erik Mona) who have chimed in to let us know what's up. It's appreciated.

I'm excited about 4e on behalf of all the new players that will be introduced to the game over the next couple of years. WotC is a smart company, and they know that the new edition will alienate a lot of current customers. The profitable move is to do a strong push to increase their player base, much like they did with the advent of 3e. The sheer potential is exhilarating.

On a personal note, I'm sad that the barrier to entry will be too much for me to abandon my current investment and switch editions anytime soon. Hopefully by the time 4.5 rolls around I'll have tapped out my 3.5 resources and be in a better place to take advantage of the great new game.
-blarg

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
For once, I'm glad of time zones. Wonderful time zones that have allowed me to wake up just in time to read all the gossip and news. Wonderful, wonderful time zones that mean the counter on the WotC site finishes just before I go to bed. God bless you time cube, I mean, zones.

I for one welcome our new 4th edition overlords, I genuinely believe they can make the game everything they're claiming.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
2 quick thoughts here:

1. Allow me to be the not-quite-first to welcome a bunch o' you to the League of Extraordinary Grognards, a fine organization of which I have been a member for quite some time now. Pull up a chair. While you're at it, roll up a character...any edition starting with a number that is 3 or lower will do...here's some d6's... :)

2. The release of 4e will just give our crew yet another source to plunder for ideas to possibly add into the "Victoria Rules" system - based on 1e - we already have.

Lanefan

Chris_Nightwing said:
For once, I'm glad of time zones. Wonderful time zones that have allowed me to wake up just in time to read all the gossip and news. Wonderful, wonderful time zones that mean the counter on the WotC site finishes just before I go to bed. God bless you time cube, I mean, zones.

I for one welcome our new 4th edition overlords, I genuinely believe they can make the game everything they're claiming.
What the man said. :)

Baumi

Adventurer
I'm very exited about this ... cannot wait till the real announcement :)

But as always my intuition sucks. This is the first GenCon in years where I didn't thought that they will announce 4E .... :p

green slime

First Post
Well, all I can say, is that it had better be an absolutely fantastic edition, and the Digital Interaction not require monthly fees, or it won't be getting my dollars.

Not saying it can't be all that, but I'm doubtful.

JDragon

Explorer
Well it's looking like I'll be joining the ranks of the new Grognards, as I just can't see making the switch anytime soon. Barring being able to use most of my 3.5 books, changing in June 08 is going to be a stretch. How ever I will not make my final decision on this until I really know what they are doing with 4e.

On another note, this announcement is not being received with a lot of goodwill on my part. Having just gotten my last issue of Dungeon in the mail today and expecting my last of Dragon any day now I'm still a bit pissed that they killed them the way the did. (I know they are being moved to the DI, but how ever you spin it they KILLED them, IMHO.) Add to that the fact that we have been told again & again that 4e was a long ways off (as quoted somewhere earlier in this thread), I'm just not buying that. Announcing a new product approx 6 months after that statement for what appears to be a release in less than a year is NOT A FREAKIN' "Long way off"! /rant

JD

Visceris

First Post
I hope it is not 4th Edition.

I have taken a look in the Saga rules for the New Star Wars game and I hated them. I really do. If that is how 4th Edition is going to be laid out I want nothing to do with it. I am very much happy with 3.5e. I like the class system, the detailed skills, the feat structure, and everything else in the game. I see no reason for there to be a 4th Edition. It is just a marketing ploy to bring in revenue. I have spent enough money on Dungeons and Dragons rules. I don't want nor need new core books.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads