• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The big announcement: 4dventure

Matt Black

First Post
You're all wrong.

It's just that WotC has decided to get behind "March 4th for GM's Day". I guess they'll try to change it to "DM's Day". Why they'd do it in August, though...

Glyfair

Explorer
ColonelHardisson said:
I still remember how, immediately after 3e's release, they insisted everything was okey-dokey, even when Monte jumped ship. Then they turned around within a really short time and laid a bunch of people off, including many of 3e's designers.
To me, that's pretty normal. Even if things are rough you don't tell the fans before you the employees. When you are part of a publicly traded company you don't tell the fans before you tell the stockholders.

Besides "everything is okey-dokey" is such a vague statement is can mean many things. D&D wasn't folded, so that fits the definition from one point-of-view.

Or how about the "gentleman's agreement" they had with Necromancer Games, in which they said they wouldn't be doing their own versions of the critters in the Tome of Horrors, then began doing their own versions soon after?

I wasn't part of that. I don't know what miscommunications there might have been or whether Necromancer was talking to someone that had the ability to reach that agreement. Besides, it meant little to me to begin with. I don't care that WotC did versions later, and never expected they wouldn't. Regarding the project, they were pretty generous even allowing Necromancer to have all the access to their IP.

However, the "major D&D Announcements will be made at the D&D Xperience" was pretty clear. It also was made just over 6 months ago. Pretty incredible that they would change their policy in that time. If 4E is announced now it was in the works then. They should have had a plan about when they would be announcing it then.

Irda Ranger

First Post
EricNoah said:
This is the day EN World dies. :(
Don't do that! :mad: I felt the happy drain out of the room ...
EricNoah said:
It could be the DI's name, cleverly including 4 to be ready for a 4th edition that is not yet developed.
That's better. Thanks.

But, I agree with Olgar Shiverstone:
Olgar Shiverstone said:
If someone decided to be cute and use a l337-speak name for the DI ...
I actually think this is right. They thought the 4=A would appeal to "young gamers" (maybe it would - I dunno; even at just 29 I'm feeling old some days). I think they just didn't think what the initial reaction would be the number in the name. Corporations can be stupid like that sometimes - suffering from group-think is easy if you're not careful.

DarkKestral

First Post
Anson Caralya said:
#@&%#@&#! And I just figured out how 3.5 polymorph works!

Wow. I thought nobody understood 3.5 polymorph, just like no one understands quantum mechanics.

And I too wish I were at Indy. I had a chance to go and the cash to spend. Unfortunately, I lacked anyone to go with, so I chose not to go.. this sounds.. interesting.

Remove ads