• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The big announcement: 4dventure

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
ColonelHardisson said:
Because even they have to admit to themselves that GenCon is THE RPG convention, the one where such announcements are made.
I dunno. I just went to Blizzcon this month, and that's where Blizzard made their big announcement (the new WoW expansion). I think WotC is even bigger in the RPG space than Blizzard is in the videogame space. If they decided to go with GenCon rather than the D&D XPerience, it was probably because of logistical issues or something.

Korgoth

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Interestingly, none of the iconics appear to be in the art, and one of them has ram horns. (A tiefling?)

Wait until you see the look on his face when his head butt attack gets nerfed in 4.5.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Wow, I wasn't expecting this. It sure looks like 4E from the other side of the monitor. Interesting. Now I really wish I had gond to Indy.

ashockney

First Post
Holy Crap

Well that's kind of exciting. It's fun being a fanboy sometimes.

So, I'm wondering what the 4th dimension would be. Assuming one dimension is word, and the second dimension is art (or 2D like paper), and the third dimension is minis/battlemaps and such (as in 3D representation), what could the fourth dimension represent for D&D that's not paper and mini?

My guess is that they have developed a way to take your GAME into an "online" world. You can play it by word, by sight, by mini, or by online gaming environment.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Mkay, this looks... pretty important. And contains new line art, which make me think of something printed. This will (hopefully) something big...

Sound of Azure said:
WotC just bought 4chan :D
Or in mind flaying illithid fun. With... humans.

Shawn_Kehoe

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I dunno. I just went to Blizzcon this month, and that's where Blizzard made their big announcement (the new WoW expansion). I think WotC is even bigger in the RPG space than Blizzard is in the videogame space. If they decided to go with GenCon rather than the D&D XPerience, it was probably because of logistical issues or something.

They want to release in 2008. If they waited until D&D Experience, the earliest they could publish is 2009. They have promised us a year's notice, and the retailers would expect such treatment as well. We all saw what havoc the short notice of 3.5 caused.

Besides, the smart money says that D&D Experience will live up to its name next year - I expect there will be lots of seminars, and maybe even sample play sessions with the new rules set.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads