• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Biggest RPG Story of the Year?

Green Ronin's Chris Pramas has offered some cryptic clues as to a product slated for Gen Con this year. "Our goal is to release Fantasy AGE in May. Then at the end of July we will release the game’s first setting book. This is our big GenCon release and part of something super exciting … that I can’t talk about yet. This will be the focus of our GenCon presence this year and perhaps the biggest RPG story of the year. Watch for an announcement in a few months." What could it be?

Green Ronin's Chris Pramas has offered some cryptic clues as to a product slated for Gen Con this year. "Our goal is to release Fantasy AGE in May. Then at the end of July we will release the game’s first setting book. This is our big GenCon release and part of something super exciting … that I can’t talk about yet. This will be the focus of our GenCon presence this year and perhaps the biggest RPG story of the year. Watch for an announcement in a few months." What could it be?

I mentioned Green Ronin's plans for 2015 a few days ago, including their whole product range. Fantasy AGE is the core rulebook of the system that drives Green Ronin's current Dragon Age roleplaying game. "This will be strictly a rule book with no attached setting. The core of the game will be well-familiar to Dragon Age fans but there are some differences, the biggest of which is the magic system. That of Dragon Age was meant to emulate how magic works in Thedas, so I am modifying it heavily for Fantasy AGE."

Is Steve Kenson writing it? Pramas says "Nothing we can talk about right now unfortunately, but stay tuned for some exciting announcements over the coming months. What has Steve Kenson been working on the last five months? Find out in April!" Steve Kenson is, of course, best known for superhero RPGs including Mutants & Masterminds and his own ICONS system.

So, a setting book for a fantasy RPG by Steve Kenson which might be the biggest RPG story of the year? I'm curious! What do you think it might be?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
These are two separate things. There's going to be an episode of the main show where they play Dread. Then there's also doing a spin off show where they follow a single RPG campaign for the whole season. I'm fairly certain they have not yet announced what RPG they'll be using for that campaign.

Ah, right. I got the two confused.

Yeah, maybe that's it then. They'll be playing the new Fantasy AGE setting on Tabletop's RPG spinoff. That would qualify as big RPG news.

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
It wouldn't be the biggest announcement in gaming to everyone, but there are still a number of us who'd like to see this produce a Dragon Fist book.

You know, I think the Conan license is available...

brumcg

Explorer
These are two separate things. There's going to be an episode of the main show where they play Dread. Then there's also doing a spin off show where they follow a single RPG campaign for the whole season. I'm fairly certain they have not yet announced what RPG they'll be using for that campaign.

I think you may have nailed it. The big news isn't the setting, it's that its "part of something super exciting."

That would be big news and a huge coup for Green Ronin.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think you may have nailed it. The big news isn't the setting, it's that its "part of something super exciting."

That would be big news and a huge coup for Green Ronin.

Plus they already did Dragon Age (and won an ENnie for the episode, no less!) on Tabletop, so there's precedent. Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think that could be it.

Dahak

Explorer
If that's it, it would hardly be the biggest RPG story of the year (unless nothing else significant happens). I doubt the Dragon Age episodes were the biggest story of the year they happened. It's either something more revolutionary, or it's much ado about nothing. I'm leaning more to the latter. One thing's for sure, it's the biggest RPG story on Enworld in January. ;)

WackyAnne

First Post
I doubt _very_ much that WotC would license any D&D setting to another company. I think that they are going to be keeping things pretty close to the vest for a long while...
Conan... interesting, but I doubt it. There is currently an incredibly hot Kickstarter campaign for a miniatures board game, so I can't see an RPG happening as well... then again, it might be the opposite!
Diablo II had a good run as D&D product, at the turn of editions from 2E to 3E (products under both editions), so I think that'd D&D would be a first choice if they were looking to license Diablo III. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking, as I just picked up the Diablo II D&D box set with my Xmas money ;)
TableTop? Weren't they thinking of writing their own RPG for the/an upcoming season? The AGE system would, I think, be a natural choice, seeing as how Dragon Age's appearance was mutually very beneficial!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I doubt _very_ much that WotC would license any D&D setting to another company.

They've done it before. Ravenloft, Dragonlance, both licensed to other companies. Hell, they even licensed Dungeon and Dragon magazines to another company. There's plenty of precedent.

But no, I agree that's not it this time. It's Fantasy AGE related, unless I'm utterly misreading Chris Pramas.

Rune

Once A Fool
I'm having trouble seeing how ANY setting announcement, liscensed or otherwise could count as the biggest RPG of the year (unless you add "so far" to the end of it).

Neither would exclusivity on a web-show wih Wesley Crusher.

A new system isn't going to cut it, unless that system is a new edition of D&D or Pathfinder.

A Dragon Fist movie wouldn't do it; Hong Kong has already made plenty of those.

Really, the only thing I can think of that would qualify is if Green Ronin announced they were going to buy WoTC or Paizo.

Which I doubt.

Or that they've tapped George RR Martin to write adventures for them.

Which I also doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads