D&D 5E The Case for a Magic Item Shop?

Janx

Hero
Why is your character operating in a place that he doesn't have the right equipment to do his job?

I get that a GM isn't going to just drop in a quick fix to the PC's problem. But in equal meta-gamey measure, expecting a PC to go adventuring in the UnderDark when they haven't the gear or interest is equally sloppy.

the PC has identified an operational deficiency in their UnderDark expedition. Only a fool fails to take action to correct that.

So unless there's a pressing need to keep going, the PC (and the party) needs to backtrack and re-tool before entering again. that means going on quests on the surface to find/buy/steal the gear they need.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It's not that zero magic items are for sale, it's that no powerful ones are for sale.

But single use stuff? Minor potions and low level scrolls and such? Those can be found and bought.

In this case, I think a minor magical ointment that you can rub into your eyes and that grants darkvision for 12 hours is something you can purchase in the Underkdark. Stock up on it, and you should be good for the duration of this adventure. But, it's not game-breaking, and is not a career-changing magic item given it's single-use nature.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Seems to me, a ninja desperate to see in the dark is an EXCELLENT example of when warlock multiclassing is appropriate. Not "level dipping" mind you! Honest to goodness multiclassing with in-story motives and repercussions. You don't /have/ to have your character use magic any more or less than you like. No shortage of accessible patrons in/around drow lands: demons, devils, dark faye?

"See in the dark?! Is that all? Yes, of course I can do that, my dear. But why stop there? You are thinking like a mortal...so small. Enter this...arrangement with me and you will not only see in the dark, but make it your master.

"How about an eldritch blast of shadow energy to strike your opponents without their knowledge? [eldritch blast from within shadows doesn't cancel stealth...a shadow "sneak attack"?] Well, I'll just throw that in as an incentive.

"Not enough? How about climbing, as the spiders, whenever you like. Weave the very shadows in which you hide to work /for/ you [stealth skill bonus in shadows].

"Eventually...perhaps...I might show you how to move yourself through the shadows...literally [reskin misty step or dimension door from shadow to shadow].

"Yes, my lovely shadow scout, you will be able to aid your companions and increase your abilities within and through the darkness in ways you can scarcely imagine. All you need to do is [pact details]. Are we...agreed?"

Li Shenron

Legend
[MENTION=8277]epochrpg[/MENTION]

I would just let you spend a feat and gain Darkvision. If you don't have a feat soon enough because it's too far in level, I'd let you gain it in advance at next level up. This custom feat would represent your own training and effort to adapt to the extremely low light of the underdark.

Paraxis

Explorer
Until you get polymorphed into a dwarf or something, a simple hooded lantern would allow you to be stealthy and find your way around the Underdark.

Except that we don't have encounter distance or rules about how far away someone can see a light source, hopefully that will be in the DMG. What we do know is that dim light is like bright light to creatures with darkvision so all the drow and other things in the underdark have to look for is the guy trying to hide while 5' of bright light emanates from him, that place of color in an otherwise black and white scene.

Sacrosanct

Legend
There's no need to multiclass into warlock. The shadow monk *is* the 5e ninja. And it has an ability to use darkvision for ki.

Outside of that, I'll just echo what others have said. If you want/need an item, work to find out how to acquire that item in-game. I'm not a fan of magic shops myself for anything other than very common items, so if a player says they want an item (which happens fairly often), we figure out how common that item is, and what typically goes into getting it. Sometimes that requries the PC to do some research and leg work. Asking around, studying, etc. I'm of the belief that no unreasonable request should ever be unreasonably denied. That doesn't mean you just hand out whatever as a DM, but there are ways to make it work.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Let me clarify. We are in a place similar to the under dark that is not the under dark. It is a vast underground wilderness and the area we are in is full of demons.

I cannot go off on a quest to find the goggles, not can I leave this place because the adventure is "The world is ending in X number of days unless you get the McGuffin to point B". The path to point B requires us to keep traveling through this hellish dark place. We've been at it for weeks and will continue for weeks more.

We have no option for side quests or downtime. The world is ending in X days, and the variable gets ever smaller. When a party member DIED there was not time to let them recover from the associated penalties after being raised.

So it isn't my choice that we are traveling here. I had no advanced knowledge of it, otherwise I'd have tried to find some way of getting the goggles or at least hope the GM has thought of bioluminescent fungus lining the walls. Upon realizing g where we are going, I'd have bought the goggles, but that isn't an option.

It might be possible to get another caster to cast it on me, but first they will need to learn that spell... All the casters already have dark vision, so I guess it didn't make sense to learn it till now when "light" would do for most.

Warlock is right out. I don't like rationalization and it's very against this characters nature to do it.

Sacrosanct

Legend
What about shadow monk? Like you, I'm playing a human ninja (I grew up in the 80s, don't judge) and have the same issues. But shadow monk was designed to emulate ninjas, and you get darkvision that way.

If you have absolutely no other options and if no fault of your own, and if you're the primary scout, I'd figure out something as the DM to make it work for you. Have you talked with him or her?

Remove ads