D&D 5E The Case for a Magic Item Shop?

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
What about shadow monk? Like you, I'm playing a human ninja (I grew up in the 80s, don't judge) and have the same issues. But shadow monk was designed to emulate ninjas, and you get darkvision that way.

If you have absolutely no other options and if no fault of your own, and if you're the primary scout, I'd figure out something as the DM to make it work for you. Have you talked with him or her?

I have no monk levels. You need multiple levels before you can become a shadow monk. It will take too long. I also already took the Tavern Brawler feat, do it would feel like a massive waste.

Tony Semana

First Post
Let me clarify. We are in a place similar to the under dark that is not the under dark. It is a vast underground wilderness and the area we are in is full of demons.

I cannot go off on a quest to find the goggles, not can I leave this place because the adventure is "The world is ending in X number of days unless you get the McGuffin to point B". The path to point B requires us to keep traveling through this hellish dark place. We've been at it for weeks and will continue for weeks more.

We have no option for side quests or downtime. The world is ending in X days, and the variable gets ever smaller. When a party member DIED there was not time to let them recover from the associated penalties after being raised.

So it isn't my choice that we are traveling here. I had no advanced knowledge of it, otherwise I'd have tried to find some way of getting the goggles or at least hope the GM has thought of bioluminescent fungus lining the walls. Upon realizing g where we are going, I'd have bought the goggles, but that isn't an option.

It might be possible to get another caster to cast it on me, but first they will need to learn that spell... All the casters already have dark vision, so I guess it didn't make sense to learn it till now when "light" would do for most.

Warlock is right out. I don't like rationalization and it's very against this characters nature to do it.

Based on this it sounds like option C from your original post and the subject of the thread is a moot point - at least in your specific and immediate circumstance. Even if there were magic shops in your campaign, they wouldn't have done your character any good.

In either case, I don't see the circumstances as an argument for magic shops. it's an opportunity to RP out a solution (which I'm sure you're already doing). To take things further, it's a chance to demonstrate/discover what your character does when the thing that he thinks defines him (his stealth/role in the party) is taken away or is suddenly done better by others.

Razuur

First Post
My take is that just because there are no magic shops, doesn't mean that magical aid cannot be bought or sold.

I see the following possibilities:

1. Find a magic user that can create one for you and spend your hard earned coin on.

2. Hire a magic user to accompany you and cast the magics you need to perform your cool actions

3. Spend time/money researching where such a magical wonder might be and quest to obtain it.

4. Search the underdark for it - maybe there is one ther and he is just waiting for you to find it.

Either way, you should chat with your GM and explain your frustrations and ask for advice. A good GM should give you some hints or advice. If they do not, then either you made a character outside of their plan, or they are intentionally being difficult.

Sometimes the players ideas for a cool character, and a GMs ideas for a party are not in sync. If the right communication did not occur at generation, then either/both of you may have set yourselves up for a challenging game. Folks need to remember that is fun. Sometimes players want their idea of a character so bad, that they make them against the GMs advice. Other times, some GMs just don't get that it is okay for players to do cool stuff - and intentionally provide obstacles. RPing when done right is an elegant dance between players and GMs that results in a fun story for all.

-P

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Is there no Wizard, Sorcerer, Ranger, or Druid in your party? All four of those classes get the Darkvision spell, which lasts 8 hours. Scrolls of that spell would help as well, and as a 2nd level spell I think that can be found for sale within the rules.

Paraxis

Explorer
Current situation, express desire to the DM to provide some form of darkvision hopefully they will give you some access to it.

If there is a druid, ranger, sorcerer, or wizard in the group when they level up you could ask them to learn darkvision.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
we are in is full of demons
There is your answer there, now talk to your DM and then make a deal with a demon. Maybe you can get a nick name, like Demon Eyes or Eyes in hands or when asked if you have eyes in the back of your head, you can say; yes, yes I do...but could get the potion or the goggles from them or even a seeing in the dark eyed dog.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Based on this it sounds like option C from your original post and the subject of the thread is a moot point - at least in your specific and immediate circumstance. Even if there were magic shops in your campaign, they wouldn't have done your character any good.

In either case, I don't see the circumstances as an argument for magic shops. it's an opportunity to RP out a solution (which I'm sure you're already doing). To take things further, it's a chance to demonstrate/discover what your character does when the thing that he thinks defines him (his stealth/role in the party) is taken away or is suddenly done better by others.

I should have mentioned there was a big city just before we went into the dark lands, so if there were items for sale I would have been able to buy one. We did a short sortie into the place and had to retreat back to the city to resurrect somebody. So I'd have bought something then if I could.

You do have a good point. This a a good opportunity for me to role play being redundant. Generally I prefer to play BIG DAMN HEROES who do amazing things, so role playing being a 2nd stringer will be a new opportunity for me.

I wonder how the wizard would embrace the opportunity when his ability to cast spells is taken away for the rich role playing experience it can afford him?

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
There is your answer there, now talk to your DM and then make a deal with a demon. Maybe you can get a nick name, like Demon Eyes or Eyes in hands or when asked if you have eyes in the back of your head, you can say; yes, yes I do...but could get the potion or the goggles from them or even a seeing in the dark eyed dog.

You must have missed when I said that would not be in the characters nature. We are not avoiding the demons, or bargaining with them, we are slaying them. We are THE GOOD GUYS. We are the sort that would have a big problem with making pacts with demons. Call it a prejudice against evil.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
You must have missed when I said that would not be in the characters nature. We are not avoiding the demons, or bargaining with them, we are slaying them. We are THE GOOD GUYS. We are the sort that would have a big problem with making pacts with demons. Call it a prejudice against evil.
Just saying, If I was your DM, I would see just how much temptation your character could take, come over to the dark side. Your character out scouting, all alone. Whisper in the dark...I see you, do you see me? Poor blind scout, alone in the dark. Inch by inch, I am getting so close, do you see me, no I think not. No one needs to know of deals in the dark, you want to see, I want a little blood, just a drop or two. So close, do you see me yet. :)

was

Adventurer
There are numerous merchants and traders who travel the underdark. You could also run into some some good-aligned svirneblin that need help. Darkvision rings, potions or goggles could be a quest reward.

Remove ads