The Chaos Effect updated 10/11/05 Exit the Dungeon + New Players intro

lonesoldier

First Post
megamania said:
"If you choose to do this for me, I can provide the maps I created detailing the traps and the their locations. I.... am unnerved to return myself. (Sense Motive- most of you see he is suddenly nervous and honestly spooked by the thought of returning to the cavern dungeons)

"Do you accept?"
"Of course, those maps would be very useful and greatly appreciated. I believe that our payment has already been negotiated," Kerrick says, refering to the other nine coins of the Wu Jen. "However, can you give us specifics in regards to the location of these caves?"

(Most people should be able to figure out that he is not refering to the party when he says 'our payment')

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Vander takes pause at the concept that Jaskin is visibly shaken at the thought of returning the caves. This truely sounds like a dangerous task, but danger is not something he has shied away from. Besides, it will get him out of sight for a bit.

"I believe we have a deal Jaskin."

MadMaxim

First Post
Spike wonders why DeMell suddenly gets afraid. Well, that is strange... Why is DeMell afraid of returning to the caverns he explored...? His party of explorers must obviously not have defeated all the opposition they faced down there. Otherwise, there would be no reason to be afraid to return. He feels that he has to get all the facts straight and asks:

"Excuse me, Mr. DeMell. Why are you afraid to return to the caverns? I accept your offer, but I believe we're entitled to know what awaits us down there if this expedition is to be successful. We have to prepare for whatever's down there and if you're withholding information that could prove useful if not crucial to us, then you could very likely be putting our very lives in jeapordy."

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
megamania said:
"So I am prepared to pay in cash and in knowledge I have that I can share. By doing this will also place me at your dept."

"Do you accept?"
"It seems I have little choice, if I wish to have the information you offered." Tamin shifts to his other foot, "At least this sounds relatively easy. I'm in."

sleepystyle

First Post
For Rashleigh the deal has already been sealed by family obligation, but one still has to go through the motions. Additionally it seems Jaskin is doing his best to secure a commitment while leaving the details as vague as possible.

The priest clears his throat as a preamble and hands clasped behind his back asks, "10,000 years you say?" Rashleigh raises one eyebrow quizzically, "Where then, are these caves located? Surely not Breland. Also I notice you referred to the caves as having served as homes, yet it is not customary among any of the civilzed peoples to heavily trap a communal living area. What peoples' homes were these? The entrance to a complex, certainly- anyone might trap and guard that, but that is not the impression I take from your vaguaries. Where do you really ask us to set foot Jaskin? A burial chamber, or perhaps a temple of this people sounds more likely and leads me ask, were the traps in truth the least of it or should we be prepared to face sentient guardians bound to the site. If it is indeed a temple or burial ground then I would fully expect to find spirits, golems, the undead... some manner of eternal guardian. And if you hope to see your lost gear again, I would think the answers to these questions can only put you in a better position to do so."

The cleric finishes with a thin smile and awaits his prospective employer's answers.

CHAOS EFFECT
SEGMENT 009

"Excuse me, Mr. DeMell. Why are you afraid to return to the caverns? I accept your offer, but I believe we're entitled to know what awaits us down there if this expedition is to be successful. We have to prepare for whatever's down there and if you're withholding information that could prove useful if not crucial to us, then you could very likely be putting our very lives in jeapordy."

Nervous and figgity, the young man scratches at his back. He stumbles for the words to use to describ what happened to him.

"I ...we were exploring a secret room we found. Within the room were...creatures. I ...I was taken out of the action very quickly. When I was revived, the battle was over. My crew were alive but eager to leave. Our guide especially wanted to leave. He felt we had crossed a line that should not have been crossed. In our haste, we left a few packs behind."

The priest clears his throat as a preamble and hands clasped behind his back asks, "10,000 years you say?" Rashleigh raises one eyebrow quizzically, "Where then, are these caves located? Surely not Breland. Also I notice you referred to the caves as having served as homes, yet it is not customary among any of the civilzed peoples to heavily trap a communal living area. What peoples' homes were these? The entrance to a complex, certainly- anyone might trap and guard that, but that is not the impression I take from your vaguaries. Where do you really ask us to set foot Jaskin? A burial chamber, or perhaps a temple of this people sounds more likely and leads me ask, were the traps in truth the least of it or should we be prepared to face sentient guardians bound to the site. If it is indeed a temple or burial ground then I would fully expect to find spirits, golems, the undead... some manner of eternal guardian. And if you hope to see your lost gear again, I would think the answers to these questions can only put you in a better position to do so."

The noble is taken back. Only his father has ever addressed him so frankly. It rattles him briefly. "The caves are still within Breland's borders but within the Howling Peaks near Zilargo's border. I was given a map to it by a trusted aid whom said he got it from a contact of his within the University. The caves lead to a series of manufactured and crafted walls that form a grid like maze. I found several secret doors within the area. It was only in my more recent studies I have found this structure was of an external design. Perhaps created by outsiders of our world. I am uncertain. These peoples though have connections to Xen'drik which captures my curiousity and imagination. I can not bring myself to return but I do wish to know what this connection is."

He nods to his sister and returns to you.

"One of the items within the pack i left behind was a parchment with a drawing and many symbols on it. I did drawings of it and a psychic friend of mine aided me in remembering as much of it as I could to draw. Based on the drawings, several of my University experts and contacts feel it may be an artifact created within the lands of Xen'drik. One even was bold enough to suggest it was created by giants!"

The sister returns with a bag. Jasken looks into it and pulls out a few drawings of the item.

"What was there besides the traps?" pushes the cleric.

"Some of the traps had undead within them." He scratches his head to think further on the subject. I didn't find a clear reason for the dungeon to exist. But I never finished exploring them either."

By happenstance. Vander catches a familiar figure in the secret windows. Brom's personal aid. Brom is keeping tabs on you.

"Within this bag are copies of my notes and maps of how to reach the caves and the dungeon itself. He holds out the bag for anyone to take.

Last edited:

Here is a copy of the map given to you

Attachments

• HOWLING PEAKS PC MAP.jpg
    HOWLING PEAKS PC MAP.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 86

Bront

The man with the probe
Vander looks through the documents briefly and nods when they are handed to him (this is assuming they're being passed around), pausing for a moment on one of them.

"Looks like you've got quite a bit here. These notes and maps do look interesting. I have a quick question about this one though."

Vander moves over to Jaskin and says "I have a quick question about your notes on this page.
My brother will be watching me, he has someone watching us right now in fact
Where on the map was this strange mark you mention here?
I know he's interested in this note that I was sent and not him.
You mention the room was long but the map has it fairly square, is the map more likely correct?
If you want to keep my brothers out of this, then you need to distract them with some other seemingly important job.
And this word here, what is it?
Something that makes them look good, and maybe makes it look like I got the unimportant task
Oh, that makes much more sense now. Thank you for clearing that up."

Vander walks back and returns the papers to the bag and offers them to anyone who asks to see them. "I assume you've made some arangements for our travel already?" Vander asks Jaskin.

GM:[sblock]The spaces have text that was whispered to Jaskin, hopefully not to obviously. Those in the room might still have a chance to hear me, and might have a chance to sense motive as well.

Vander doesn't like to be deceptive, it's not his game, but he wants to protect himself as well as these other inocent group from the dangers of associating with him in something that could end up being high profile, so his motive is likely more protective and defensive than deceptive.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads