D&D 5E The City of Is'Merith

Macv12

First Post
@TGG, if I slap you I'd have to slap myself, I always write more than I planned. But I love your stuff, so I'll only slap you if you're into that.

I have a copy of the RP I once did with some friends, which was at least 150 pages long last I checked; enough text to seriously lag my computer whenever I opened it up. But I'm loving what having Sezarious around does for the enterprise. Much more focused and quick-moving. Thanks for letting me into your world!

Matthan

Explorer
I have some gameplay questions for you, Sezarious, if you don't mind.

I'm planning on progressing towards Arcane Trickster. The two-handed elven finesse blades would preclude casting spells with somatic components while drawn, correct? I was tempted by them because I don't want to dual wield, but if I'm reading the rules right, two-handed means no somatic spells. I don't suppose it would be possible to find a blade like that with the versatile property? It never hurts to ask, right?

A question for the future as well. Are you open to allowing options from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, specifically the cantrips? Greenflame Blade looks like a cool option for rogues, but I understand if you want PHB only.

Thanks for the great game!

Macv12

First Post
I have some gameplay questions for you, Sezarious, if you don't mind.

I'm planning on progressing towards Arcane Trickster. The two-handed elven finesse blades would preclude casting spells with somatic components while drawn, correct? I was tempted by them because I don't want to dual wield, but if I'm reading the rules right, two-handed means no somatic spells. I don't suppose it would be possible to find a blade like that with the versatile property? It never hurts to ask, right?
Not the DM, but the devs confirmed a while back in errata that the two-handed property is only relevant while "using" a weapon, i.e. attacking with it. Otherwise you can hold it in one hand while doing other stuff. (Bows wouldn't make sense otherwise.) But I've heard of DMs ignoring that in order to enforce an opportunity cost for using a two-hander instead of a single-handed weapon as a caster.

Sezarious

Explorer
Not sure if I asked yet, but would it be okay to use coyote code for my rolls?

I don't know what it is, but sure. If it's a legitimate rolling system.

Matthan said:
The two-handed elven finesse blades would preclude casting spells with somatic components while drawn, correct? I was tempted by them because I don't want to dual wield, but if I'm reading the rules right, two-handed means no somatic spell

According to my interpretation of the rules:

-Errata: Two-Handed (p. 147). This property is relevant only when you attack with the weapon, not when you simply hold it.

-In addition to your free action, everyone gets an "Object interaction" action every turn. If you go pure rogue, you're only ever going to be making one attack per round unless hasted or something; therefore, if at the end of a round, you take a hand off your 2h sword as your "Object interaction" action, then at the start of the new round, use your new "object interaction" action, to activate your focus (See below for the definition), then cast your spell.

"You can also interact with one object or feature of the environment for free, during either your move or your action. For example, you could open a door during your move as you stride toward a foe, or you could draw your weapon as part of the same action you use to attack."

OR

You drop the weapon as an "Object interaction", cast your spell WITHOUT hindrance at all and use your free action to pick the weapon up. Whether it's RAI or not, the RAW action economy allows you to be able to cast with one hand, and I lean more towards RAW more almost anything.

Therefore, I'm not going to be policing your mini-actions all the time, making sure you declare that you use each of those minor actions each time, no way. Just know that you can do it.

Case closed, you can cast with a 2handed sword in one hand.

The Grassy Gnoll said:
I posted a "character pic" in the character sheets page, done by going to hero forge and getting a screenshot. Kinda fun.

Hero forge make great minis. I've struggled painting one for a friend though. He had a couple of duds come through, which they replaced and sent out to him for free and I volunteered to paint for him. They are incredibly detailed with lots of hard to reach places. I'm nearly thinking he'd be better off just coating any PC minis in gold, because of how fiddly they are. either that, or I need to look into thinning out the paint and buying even finer brushes than I have. Hmm :\

Last edited:

pathfinderq1

First Post
I'll try to get an IC post up tomorrow night- just too tired right now.

Assume Mina is entirely distracted looking out at the scenery- the real OUTSIDE!

Remove ads