• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The City of Is'Merith

Trogdor1992

First Post
Instead of cluttering the game thread, I'll ask this here. For the armor, ghost sound doesn't exist yet in 5E. I think it got folded into minor illusion. Do you want the ability of the armor to mimic the 3E spell?

For everybody else, here's my suggestion for dividing the loot. I say we value the items at half price (similar to if we bought them from the guild fence even though some items fall out of that range), and keep a tally until we get back to town. At town, we’ll use whatever coins we have found to balance the haul as much as possible for everyone. I’ve gone ahead and written out how I think we should divide things and started a tally. I also went back to Sezarious’ post for shopping and tried to extrapolate a scale to price the magical items. If you think that I under or over valued something, let me know.

Here’s the list of items:

• -Studded leather, thieves' guild markings, immaculate: (continual prestidigitation and allows ghost sound at cost of hp) Just the cleaning enchantment was a X3 modifier before. I think the extra enchantment because of the drawback is probably only worth another X2 so a total of X5. (45/2)X5=112 gp 5 silver
    -Gold tusk/teeth: - Maybe 5gp?
    -Elven shortsword w/scabbard: (light enchantment and can count as magical to bypass DR with cost) the glowing enchantment was worth a X5 modifier before. I think the additional enchantment w/ the drawback is similar to the armor for another X2. (10/2)X7 = 35 gp (note that the shortsword from the fence was silvered which added 100 gp to the initial cost. As far as I can recall, this blade wasn’t described as silvered)
    -Thieves' tools: 25/2 = 12 gp 5 silver
    -Poisoner's kit: 50/2 = 25 gp
    -Healing Potion x2: 50/2 = 25 gp(ea)
    -Clear liquid: ???
    -Yellow liquid x2: ???
    -Breastplate: 400/2 = 200 gp
    -Chain shirt: 50/2 = 25 gp
    -Half plate (damaged): I’m going to halve the value twice due to the need for repairs – (750/2)/2 = 187 gp 5 silver
    -Shield: 10/2 = 5 gp
    -Spiked shield: I think the unique nature of it adds value over a normal shield so my gut says 50 gp since it works as a shield and a weapon then halve the value twice due to repairs – (50/2)/2 = 12 gp 5 silver

With that said, here’s how I would divide the loot to try and spread the wealth. These are my thoughts. You need to decide what's right for your character. I'm just afraid that we're all so polite that unless we have a decent starting point, no one will take anything:

Isaac - the magical sword, chain shirt (for wearing now), and broken half plate (for later)
The half plate would give disadvantage to stealth checks which I believe Al would want to avoid. Isaac has heavy armor proficiency so he may prefer we sell the half plate and go for Scale or save up for Plate.
Total value (w/half plate): 247 gp 5 silver
Total value (w/o half plate) 60 gp

Al - the Lizardfolk shield, breastplate, golden tusk+teeth (he ripped 'em out so it seems fair to keep them), thieves' tools, and one healing potion (already used)
The breastplate has a better AC than the chain shirt, but Isaac is getting a magical weapon. Plus, the breastplate is probably the best armor for Al w/o any enchantments or more ASIs.
Total Value: 255 gp

Shen - healing potion
Total Value: 25 gp

Mina –

Daedarai – Poisoner’s Kit ((I was reading on it. It looks like we can use the tool, but it would just be a normal ability check -maybe int. If you're proficient with a tool, you get to add your prof. bonus on top of that roll. So the tool is still potentially useful for us even without proficiency)
Total Value: 25 gp

Remaining loot:

Unknown potions - divide after identifying

The spare shield - sell

The guild armor - I like it because of the ancient guild markings. It speaks to me on a narrative level. I'm playing my character as trying to figure out the ins and outs of the guild with its history and goals so a link to guild's past is compelling to me. However, Mina, Shen and Daedarai could all use it. I'm planning on going Arcane Trickster next level so the cantrip ability would probably be wasted on me at that point though (I'm pretty sure minor illusion will be one of my cantrips). I would be okay giving up the armor if narratively whichever character takes it (Mina or Shen) allows me to study it and maybe replicate the design. Honestly, Shen has been scouting ahead and has no way to produce magical effects to help her so it might be best for her.
I only really want the chain shirt and sword (mostly the sword). Past that the only thing I'm really interested in is coin. Just to let you know I also plan on sticking to armor with little to no dex penalty, I'm going for a dex based fighter.
Also I'm curious about flintlock pistols (not that I can afford one), will they be allowed or no?

Matthan

Explorer
That’s cool. I didn’t know which way you were going. I can’t recall how 3.5 handled Dex and TWF, but if you’re just looking at numbers, you’re almost always better off using heavier armor if you’re proficient in 5E (unless you care about stealth). For instance, the best light armor with unlimited dex bonus is studded leather. With a dex of 20 (which is the cap in 5E, +5 bonus and 2.5 ASIs), you would have an AC of 17. With your current dex of 15, you can get an AC of 17 with half plate (med. Armor; 750gp) or splint (heavy armor, 200 gp) without having to boost your dex.

Also, your armor doesn’t limit your dex bonus on skills or finesse weapons. It just impacts AC. The armor also doesn’t impact your TWF. TWF can key off of strength or dex, it just requires that both weapons be light (unless you take the dual wielder feat) and finesse (if you use dex).

It’s completely your call and how you visualize your character. There isn't a right or wrong way. I just can’t remember if 3.5/PF handles that differently and wanted to make sure your options were clear.

Trogdor1992

First Post
That’s cool. I didn’t know which way you were going. I can’t recall how 3.5 handled Dex and TWF, but if you’re just looking at numbers, you’re almost always better off using heavier armor if you’re proficient in 5E (unless you care about stealth). For instance, the best light armor with unlimited dex bonus is studded leather. With a dex of 20 (which is the cap in 5E, +5 bonus and 2.5 ASIs), you would have an AC of 17. With your current dex of 15, you can get an AC of 17 with half plate (med. Armor; 750gp) or splint (heavy armor, 200 gp) without having to boost your dex.

Also, your armor doesn’t limit your dex bonus on skills or finesse weapons. It just impacts AC. The armor also doesn’t impact your TWF. TWF can key off of strength or dex, it just requires that both weapons be light (unless you take the dual wielder feat) and finesse (if you use dex).

It’s completely your call and how you visualize your character. There isn't a right or wrong way. I just can’t remember if 3.5/PF handles that differently and wanted to make sure your options were clear.
I might go medium armor, I just don't want to lower my speed by too much

Matthan

Explorer
I might go medium armor, I just don't want to lower my speed by too much

Again, I don't want to come across as trying to build your character, but I want to make sure that there isn't a holdover from 3.5/PF. The only armor that can slow your speed in 5E is heavy armor, and that's only if you don't meet the Str req. Your character already has a strength of 15 which allows him to wear any heavy armor (including plate) with no penalty to movement.

Matthan

Explorer
Well perhaps I'll wear heavy and just use dex for my attacks(since I'm restricted to finesse weapons anyway)

It's really up to how you visualize your character. If you pick up the Dual Wielder feat to beef up your TWF, you can dual wield one handed weapons that aren't light. That opens up a lot of weapons that aren't finesse. If your picture of your character is a highly mobile, lightly armored dex based fighter dual wielding shortswords, then I say go for it. You could also be a plate armored strength fighter with a warhammer and a longsword. Optimizing a character isn't just math. It's optimizing the character to match what you want to play. The only thing I want to make sure is that you understand the options that are available in 5E so that you can build the character that matches the picture in your head. It may mean that you have an AC that is a point or two lower than it could be, but it's worth it to play the character you want to play.

Matthan

Explorer
I was thinking longsword and shortsword but I don't think I can use dex for the longsword

You're right. Right now with your TWF, you have to have two light weapons. It just works out that a lot of light weapons are also finesse (use dex or str). There is a feat (dual wielder) which lets you use one handed weapons that aren't light while dual wielding. If you picture your character as having a longsword and shortsword, you would probably want to favor strength. If you take the feat though, the off hand weapon does not have to be light (I believe that's different than PF) so you could theoretically have two longswords (str) or if you prefer dex, two rapiers. Both options use weapons that are not light, but become available for your fighting style with the feat.

Matthan

Explorer
Rapier is still a d6 though right?

Rapier is a d8 piercing finesse weapon. It's the highest damage of a finesse weapon, but it's not light. If you want to maximize damage with light weapons, you're there with two shortswords. If you want to maximize damage after the feat, rapier is finesse (if you go dex) and piercing, longsword and battleaxe are d8 slashing w/str, flail and warhammer are d8 bludgeoning w/str, morningstar and war pick are d8 piercing w/str.

Really, it's how you picture your character. If you want to focus on dex, but carry two rapiers, then pick up the feat at lvl. 4 and then boost your dex after that. Your dex and str are the same right now so it doesn't matter. You could just keep it open and see what magical items we come across as well.

Remove ads