D&D 5E The City of Is'Merith

Jaelommiss

First Post
We could do with one more player Angry_Steak..... Or should I say, the new party rogue, given you're stalking us?

I'll be number four if he doesn't want to. I'd like to play an aasimar, if allowed. I saw you banned tieflings, so I thought it would be a good idea to ask first. Human would work as an alternative. I'll be a Death domain cleric named Feraza'ali.

From my greatest of grandfathers, to my father, and now to me, my family has watched over the tomb of the fallen High Priest of Arawn, Tufail Soltani, for 900 years. Our patron, he has granted us the power needed to maintain his tomb and, when necessary, defend it from defilers. Over the generations his power has elevated us above mere humans as proof of our divine station. It was in the fourth year after my inheritance of the mantle of guardianship that calamity struck. As I entered the inner sanctum of the tomb for the morning rituals, I discovered our Master's sarcophagus lay opened. Whispered myths spoke that Soltani himself awoke from his slumber in times of great need, though I had always dismissed such fanciful tales. Now, though, the proof was before me, for no thief could have avoided the wards and traps, to say nothing of my constant watch. A thorough search of the tomb revealed no one, though at times I felt as though I was being observed. When I returned to the entrance, a set of tracks in the sand departing the tomb lay before me, leading into the desert.

I have journeyed to the city of Is'Merith for information to guide my search for Soltani.

Although my character is unaware of it, Tufail Soltani is a Mummy Lord and willingly left the tomb.

Last edited:

Sezarious

Explorer
I'll be number four if he doesn't want to. I'd like to play an aasimar, if allowed. I saw you banned tieflings, so I thought it would be a good idea to ask first. Human would work as an alternative. I'll be a Death domain cleric named Feraza'ali.

From my greatest of grandfathers, to my father, and now to me, my family has watched over the tomb of the fallen High Priest of Arawn, Tufail Soltani, for 900 years. Our patron, he has granted us the power needed to maintain his tomb and, when necessary, defend it from defilers. Over the generations his power has elevated us above mere humans as proof of our divine station. It was in the fourth year after my inheritance of the mantle of guardianship that calamity struck. As I entered the inner sanctum of the tomb for the morning rituals, I discovered our Master's sarcophagus lay opened. Whispered myths spoke that Soltani himself awoke from his slumber in times of great need, though I had always dismissed such fanciful tales. Now, though, the proof was before me, for no thief could have avoided the wards and traps, to say nothing of my constant watch. A thorough search of the tomb revealed no one, though at times I felt as though I was being observed. When I returned to the entrance, a set of tracks in the sand departing the tomb lay before me, leading into the desert.

I have journeyed to the city of Is'Merith for information to guide my search for Soltani.

Although my character is unaware of it, Tufail Soltani is a Mummy Lord and willingly left the tomb.
b

Ok. We have our 4th player. Yeah Aasimar should be fine.

Macv12

First Post
Hey, sorry to be late, work was...work. (Also note that I'm in Japan, probably the same/similar time as our great and attractive DM.

I'm thinking I'll redux a favorite character from before. Shenemnenmone Tanner, aka Shen. Elf (of the Wood persuasion) whose parents fled a disaster, but didn't make it long, leaving her orphaned in human society, growing up in the lower classes. She's a full-blooded elf but culturally human. She idolizes "elfiness" and elf culture (the stereotypical High Elf kind), but doesn't actually have any experience with it, so other elves often don't consider her one of them. She approaches things with the energy and impatience of a human, so she tires of things after a decade or so; she's around 200 years old and has done lots of things, starting as a butcher, then a herder, then a soldier, and so on, currently a sword for hire. She would have come to this city to experience something new and look for work.

I'll elaborate on things as they become relevant or if asked. Going to be a ranger (hunter), with Beasts as favored enemy, and probably Desert terrain (to make myself useful). Stats are 15/13/14/8/14/12 in order, using medium armor for 15 AC, halberd, and a bow somewhere.

By the way, how do you feel about Unearthed Arcana and such? (Minotaurs? Swashbucklers?) I assume this will stay fairly low-level, and if it's all the same, I'd be interested in trying that recent playtest-y version of the ranger, with any nerfs you felt necessary, just to try it out.

Am I forgetting something important?

Sezarious

Explorer
Hey, sorry to be late, work was...work. (Also note that I'm in Japan, probably the same/similar time as our great and attractive DM.

I'm thinking I'll redux a favorite character from before. Shenemnenmone Tanner, aka Shen. Elf (of the Wood persuasion) whose parents fled a disaster, but didn't make it long, leaving her orphaned in human society, growing up in the lower classes. She's a full-blooded elf but culturally human. She idolizes "elfiness" and elf culture (the stereotypical High Elf kind), but doesn't actually have any experience with it, so other elves often don't consider her one of them. She approaches things with the energy and impatience of a human, so she tires of things after a decade or so; she's around 200 years old and has done lots of things, starting as a butcher, then a herder, then a soldier, and so on, currently a sword for hire. She would have come to this city to experience something new and look for work.

I'll elaborate on things as they become relevant or if asked. Going to be a ranger (hunter), with Beasts as favored enemy, and probably Desert terrain (to make myself useful). Stats are 15/13/14/8/14/12 in order, using medium armor for 15 AC, halberd, and a bow somewhere.

By the way, how do you feel about Unearthed Arcana and such? (Minotaurs? Swashbucklers?) I assume this will stay fairly low-level, and if it's all the same, I'd be interested in trying that recent playtest-y version of the ranger, with any nerfs you felt necessary, just to try it out.

Am I forgetting something important?

Playtesty Ranger allowed. I'll need everyone to post their stats either in the next 3-4 hours in Oder to begin tonight, or maybe I should extend things again. It takes time for everyone to get organised. Thanks for attempting to flatter me, I accept it. You may start at level 20 (jokes).

I have my stats but the background needs tweak given the nature of the city...

Name: Alejandro
Race: Forest Gnome
Class: Barbarian
Background: Urchin
Level: 1

STR 15 (+2)
DEX 15 (+2)*
CON 12 (+1)
INT 13 (+1)
WIS 10 (+0)
CHA 8 (-1)
*includes Gnome racial adjustment
Proficiency Bonus +2

HP 13
AC 13
Move 25'

Speak with Small Animals
Minor Illusion (spell save DC 11)
Gnome Cunning - ADV v Int, Wis, Cha magic saves
Dark vision 60'
Languages: common, gnomish

Proficiencies:
Armour: Light, medium, shields
Weapon: Simple, martial
Tools: Disguise kit, Thieves tools
Saving throws: STR, CON
Skills: Athletics, Intimidation, Sleight of hand, Stealth

Equipment:
Morning Star (+4 to hit, 1d8)
Quarterstaff (+4 to hit, 1d8/10)
Explorers pack
Javelins x4 (+4 to hit, 1d6, range 30/120)
Small knife
Map of Is'Merith
Pet mouse (Archibald)
Token of family: tiny music box
Common clothes
Belt pouch

Gold: 10 GP

Rage (2 per long rest)
Adv on STR checks and saves
Melee: +2 damage if use STR
Resistant: bludgeoning, piercing, slashing

Unarmoured Defence
AC = 10+DEX mod+CON mod

City Secrets: x2 speed outside combat in city

Trait: bluntly say what others hint at
Ideal: community
Bond: owe survival to another urchin
Flaw: kill in sleep rather than fight fair

Alejandro was left an abandoned urchin child on the streets of Is'Merith after a trip to the great city left his parents dead. Forest gnome craftsmen from the borders of the desert, they had come to the city to trade.
Alas for Alejandro, a disturbance in the market square led to a cart careening into his horrified parents, trapped between their stall and the solid stone wall behind them. Both parents were killed instantly, leaving young Alejandro (only a youthful nine year old in human terms) alone, scared, and angry.
Unable to go home, he took to the streets where he found solace from the knocks and blows of a cruel world in the Undercity in the company of the small creatures of the settlement - rats, mice, cats, and small birds.
Constantly picked upon for his small stature and seemingly weak body, he grew to be a formidable fighter, with a reputation for taking no prisoners and a tendency to attack wildly with a ferocity startling to see on his youthful gnomish features.
A fellow urchin, Nora, a human woman, took pity on Alejandro after he was found badly beaten by a gang of thieves, cradling a tiny mouse in his hands. This mouse, which he names Archibald, was being chased by the thieves and Alejandro went to its rescue and paid for his trouble in blood and pain. Nora took him in and protected him, showing him the back ways of the city. Nora is a secretive woman who has increasingly hidden in the shadows as the years passed by, telling Alejandro of a terrible illness she suffers from. He still checks in on her in her hideaway regularly and feels a very mother-son protection towards her, but her movements remain a mystery and her true self is a tale he hasn't been able to read, despite asking his animal friends about her.
Now he has grown into a man and has a name made for himself of sorts in the Undercity. He has rejected the welfare of the state in order to live on the margins, and always always with an eye out to find the people responsible for the terrible tragedy that befell his parents - all he knows for sure is that the people who set the cart in motion were half-orcs, a race he has never trusted since.

Macv12

First Post
Okay, I think the following should be all relevant info, plus a bit. Let me know if there's a more convenient format I can use. (I have an Excel sheet format I made, for example.)

Bio
Name: Shen(emnenmone Tanner)
Alignment: CG
Race: Wood Elf
Class: Ranger v2

Stats
Level: 1
HP: 13
Speed: 35
Vision: Darkvision (60ft)
AC: 13

Abilities
STR: 15
DEX: 14
CON: 13
INT: 8
WIS: 14
CHA: 12

Background
Background: Soldier
- Specialty: Infantry
- Military Rank: soldiers loyal to same military recognize rank, defer if lower-ranked. Can requisition horses/EQ temporarily. May access fortresses/etc. where rank is recognized.

Trait 1: "I face problems head-on. A simple, direct solution is the best path to success."
Trait 2: "I've lost too many friends, and I['m slow to make new ones."
Ideal: "Greater Good. Our lot is to lay down our lives in defense of others."
Bond: "Those who fight beside me are those worth dying for."
Flaw: "I'd rather eat my armor than admit when I'm wrong."

Proficiencies
Weapons: simple, martial
Armor: light, shields
Saving Throws: Dex, Wis

Skills:
  1. Athletics
  2. Intimidation
  3. Perception
  4. Survival (WIS)
  5. Stealth (DEX)
  6. Animal Handling (WIS)

Tools/languages:
  1. Dice set
  2. Land vehicles
  3. Herbalism kit
  4. Elvish language

Equipment
Money: 10gp

Weapons:
- Halberd
- Trident
- Longbow

Armor:
- Leather armor

Other:
- Common clothes
- Insignia of rank (crest on necklace)
- Trophy from fallen enemy (animal teeth and various army insignia on armor and tied to halberd)
- Set of bone dice
- Explorer's Pack (and all the junk therein)

Remove ads