• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The classes that nobody wants to play

The classes that nobody wants to play

• Barbarian

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • Bard

Votes: 38 16.6%
  • Cleric

Votes: 48 21.0%
  • Druid

Votes: 55 24.0%
  • Fighter

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Monk

Votes: 71 31.0%
  • Paladin

Votes: 16 7.0%
  • Ranger

Votes: 63 27.5%
  • Rogue

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 60 26.2%
  • Warlock

Votes: 46 20.1%
  • Wizard

Votes: 25 10.9%

As a companion to the "Most played classes in your local gaming area?" poll I started, what are the classes in your local gaming area that never or rarely show up at the gaming table? If you have any insight as to why, feel free to elaborate. You may choose up to 4.

In my local gaming area, rangers, barbarians and to a somewhat lesser degree warlocks are rarely seen.

Last edited:

Lanliss

Explorer
No one in my group has an urge to play either Clerics or Paladins. I think the cause is too much roleplay restrictions.

Other than that, 2/3 of them hate casters, or dealing with the spell system in general, so not many of those either.

Rangers, for reasons that are pretty obvious by now.

Around my area, Druids aren't very popular, either, for whatever reason. Maybe the whole nature boy/girl theme just isn't very popular ... but then again there's no lack of Barbarians in my area, so I just don't know.

Don't see many Monks, either, though that class is certainly an acquired taste.

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
Ranger, obviously, and I've only once seen anyone play a 5e Sorcerer. It seems pretty pointless when both Bard & Wizard seem to cover the same ground better.

IME Barbarian is the most popular class! It tends to be the default melee class now, replacing Fighter.

My Sunday 5e group is Druid, Monk, Bladesinger Wizard, Paladin and Barbarian. Previous PCs included
Warlock Bard and Cleric. That seems a pretty typical spread; I also see Fighter and Rogue played though Fighter tends to be a 'here's your pregen' class, not something chosen by experienced players.

Last edited:

kalil

Explorer
In my circles monks are not really played, probably because kungfu-chop-chop against dragons and stone giants feels pretty silly and slapstick (not bashing monk lovers in sny way, just speculating in cause)?

JonnyP71

Explorer
Paladins, my players know I hate them with a passion.

I saw one played once, in another group with another DM, he died facing down a Lich. Stupid Paladin, 'twas all he deserved.

In my circles monks are not really played, probably because kungfu-chop-chop against dragons and stone giants feels pretty silly and slapstick (not bashing monk lovers in any way, just speculating in cause)?

I personally find the monk class to be rather on the weak side and am surprised it is not more unpopular in my gaming area (sorry monk lovers). They seem to show up in about "average" frequency in my area. Of the monks I have seen they ranged from average-to-lame in effectiveness.

Lanliss

Explorer
I personally find the monk class to be rather on the weak side and am surprised it is not more unpopular in my gaming area (sorry monk lovers). They seem to show up in about "average" frequency in my area. Of the monks I have seen they ranged from average-to-lame in effectiveness.

One of my players who DMs plans to ban monks, unless I can find a way to suitably nerf them. He doesn't like that they are moderately effective at almost everything, rather than having some strong points and some weak points. I am thinking a d6 hit die might make him happy.

Remove ads