• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The classes that nobody wants to play

The classes that nobody wants to play

• Barbarian

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • Bard

Votes: 38 16.6%
  • Cleric

Votes: 48 21.0%
  • Druid

Votes: 55 24.0%
  • Fighter

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Monk

Votes: 71 31.0%
  • Paladin

Votes: 16 7.0%
  • Ranger

Votes: 63 27.5%
  • Rogue

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 60 26.2%
  • Warlock

Votes: 46 20.1%
  • Wizard

Votes: 25 10.9%

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Out of 25 or so characters I've played with, I've yet to see a wizard. I've only seen one bard, one sorcerer (and I've been the one who has played them!) and one ranger (that was post-UA). Clerics, paladins, and rogues have been the most common by far.

Out of 25 or so characters I've played with, I've yet to see a wizard. I've only seen one bard, one sorcerer (and I've been the one who has played them!) and one ranger (that was post-UA). Clerics, paladins, and rogues have been the most common by far.

That's interesting. The Wizards in 5e are absolutely fantastic. The Diviner may be the most fun and compellingly designed Wizard in D&D's history. I would play the hell out of that (turning it into an Invoker).

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
That's interesting. The Wizards in 5e are absolutely fantastic. The Diviner may be the most fun and compellingly designed Wizard in D&D's history. I would play the hell out of that (turning it into an Invoker).
Yea, it's a little odd. Most of my tables have been shying away from casters in general, other than clerics. And the one group I played with that was predominantly casters had a bard, cleric, druid, and warlock.

One of my friends is starting up a game in the spring, hopefully I can get the group to go along with my all gnome wizard party I've been pushing for years. :)

I find the disdain for the Ranger puzzling. I played one through 15th level (a one-eyed, sharpshooting Stout halfling who hated Dragons!) and I had an absolute blast. He was a pretty popular PC too.

zicar

First Post
Surprised cleric and druid scored so high. I'm in 2 groups and we always have at least one of each by choice. Assuming this is referring to the PHB ranger; not surprising. I've seen 2 monks in play and have yet to be impressed. The sorcerer likewise did not impress. They both have similar class feature 'points' that just misses the bar.

Draegn

Explorer
In my area there are very few fighters, monks or barbarians. If someone wants to do one of those there are HEMA groups, Society for Creative Anachronism, and self defense clubs. People want to play something they cannot do in real life.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I've played/DMed in 6 campaigns now, 4 at the FLGS, and in that time only ever seen 1 bard and 1 druid. And when I talk to people at other tables at the FLGS I haven't heard about bards or druids.

I think it's because there aren't many pop-culture touchstones for bards or druids. Watch any fantasy movie and you'll see fighters, rangers, rogues plus somebody who could be a wizard/sorcerer/warlock. Maybe someone who could be a paladin or cleric although you'll probably have to dip into fantasy literature for that one. Monks have their whole own genre! The musical bard is less popular (Fflewddur Fflam and Edgar the spoony bard are the only ones that come to mind, I'm sure I'm missing a couple) and the shapeshifting druid is even more rare.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I personally find the monk class to be rather on the weak side and am surprised it is not more unpopular in my gaming area (sorry monk lovers). They seem to show up in about "average" frequency in my area. Of the monks I have seen they ranged from average-to-lame in effectiveness.

I haven't played a 5e monk myself, but I've played with them and also talked with a friend who played on through all of the Rise of Tiamat. If you are looking for damage dealers they are the wrong class. However, as battlefield control they are excellent. Mobility to get behind enemy lines and stun casters and other glass cannons.

It doesn't help that some of their subclasses like the Elemental one are traps that give you very little for your Ki compared to simply stunning and giving the various bonus actions.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Paladins, my players know I hate them with a passion.

I saw one played once, in another group with another DM, he died facing down a Lich. Stupid Paladin, 'twas all he deserved.

Paladins don't need to be Lawful Good anymore, and then never "had" to be Lawful Stupid. The different subclasses also have very different oath - not retreating when overmatched vs. a lich doesn't fall under many of them.

Played in an Alternate-Ancient-Earth-themed game with a Oath-of-the-Ancients paladin of Hermes. Messengers, Travelers, Merchants, Medicine. He was CG, very easygoing, was part of a culture that worshiped a pantheon so he wasn't up in everyone's grill about how Hermes was the only true god. Because of protecting travelers and their messages would always go hang out in various towns to gather news and pass on news from other towns and could get along with people even that worshiped different pantheons, because they fell under his god's umbrella.

Back to the main topic, Paladins are fairly common in my local gaming area, especially among people who want to make self-sufficient melee characters. Great defenses including saves, healing, nova, some spells, etc. Funny enough, some love that their auras cover others and some don't even bother to bring it up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads