The Classic Story Hours

Destran's Story hour rocked too if you like a bit of grimm and gritty, its very well written and he had his setting published.

I enjoyed that story hour the best, only second to Sepulchraves awsome piece of brilliance <3.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Lazybones said:
More specifically, the one that started it all, the "Temple of Elemental Evil 2". I think it was the first SH posted here, and you'll still be hard-pressed to find one with more humor and a higher body count.

http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25093

I've not got the humour, but I think I beat him on the body count :) I've probably got one of the earliest storyhour threads on this server (look at the thread id!)

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=122

Cheers

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
Excellent!

I've actually tried the "number of views" listing "from the beginning" before, but I wanted to make sure that I haven't missed any! :)

I have a Google Notebook chock full of my favorites as well as ones still left to read. It has now been updated with all of these classics.

Thanks!

Graf

Explorer
As a (selective) story hour reader for a while I’d say the following are considered classics among people I game with and the online community.

My preferences hew strongly toward story hours with a political/moral component and good writing. I also like “new” stuff; either people’s own campaign worlds or their own adventures (I don’t read adventure path story hour threads or very many set in a specific setting)

(contact)’s RttTEE
People mention the body count and humor; there are lots of both. The Story Hour also shows how interesting/difficult it is to run a story when characters are constantly dying. It works here, which makes it uncommon.
(IRRC, Contact was not actually the DM of this game, but he posted it so you need to search using his username)

(contact)’s Liberation of Tenh
It was tricky for me to get into this story hour, partially because I’m not familiar with the politics of Greyhawk and partially because it’s dense enough to be intimidating.
The third time around I finally got started and couldn’t stop. It’s one of the few story hours where the writer uses a published campaign setting to good effect. It’s also got a strong component of player driven interaction with politics and a good interparty dynamic.
(contact) is the DM of this game.

Piratecat’s story hour
Don’t read this yet. Piratecat’s “restarting” his story hour with new episodes at the beginning. Widely considered to be the “classic” story hour it was one of the first that attracted widespread attention. It’s worth reading both for the creativity of the adventures as well as for aspiring DM’s to see how you can share time amongst players. Most everyone gets a chance to “be in the limelight”.

Sepulcrave’s Storyhour (starting with Lady Despina’s virtue)
The original storyhour to really mix religion, and politics in a no-holds-barred fashion. Of all the storyhours this (along with Tenh) are focused on a few core personalities. Required reading if you’re thinking about running an Epic game.
Tricky to follow if you read threads (partially because of the gargantuan number of we-love-Sep posts) but several people have compiled it.

Wulf’s Storyhour
The storyhour that spawned a gaming company. Definitely considered a classic by people on the boards and alluded to frequently enough by oldtimers that it’s probably mandatory reading. It follows the 3.0 adventures; so there are spoilers. A must if you like dwarves.
(Wulf wasn’t the DM for this, but he was a player and his copious and intensely personal view of the adventure helped create a following).

Destan’s Sins of our Fathers
When he was publishing regularly the thread received an intense degree of attention. In addition to being well written the setting and tone of the story was quite dark. I’m not sure if it’s been continued or not but it’s worth reading for just the first arc. Classic low-power epic-feel SH.

For Modern I’d say that Southern Chicks with Guns is a classic.

Shemmy’s storyhours are almost certainly classics if you like Planescape. I’ve found his text too dense to get into but, like Tenh, it may just be that I need to try a few more times.

Last edited:

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Graf said:
My preferences hew strongly toward story hours with a political/moral component and good writing. I also like “new” stuff; either people’s own campaign worlds or their own adventures (I don’t read adventure path story hour threads or very many set in a specific setting)

Okay, I realize that as a story hour author I am new and certainly don't hold a candle to any of the greats who have been going for a long time. But when I read through this basic description I couldn't also fail to realize that much of story hour writing is in fact public relations. So I will throw out a shameful self-plug. My story hour Bitterness Overcome - you can find a link in my sig - is in a homebrew world, uses strong flavor from a homebrew race, so far contains a decent dose of a moral component and I am just beginning to also add a political component as well, although I am only slowly working it in over time. If you are interested, Graf - or anyone else, I always welcome readers! :D

Please excuse my shameful plug. I mean not to draw attention to my own story hour, but I also realize that advertising is a key to readership as well. Thanks for allowing my small diversion.

As to the big guns here on this board, I am most familiar with:

Piratecat
Shemeska
Sepulchrave II
[And more recently...] el-remmen

I thought I would chime in -- mostly echoing what others have said, but with a few of my own selections. To avoid appearances of favoritism, I'll list this in alphabetical order by author.

Also, I've got links. :)

(contact)'s Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil -- note that this is not the original, original thread; rather, it's a reposting of it

(contact)'s Liberation of Tenh -- a follow-on to the above story, with some of the same characters

(contact)'s The Risen Goddess -- less well known that the other two, this is the most philosophical of the three stories. It begins: "Four adventurers sit around a familiar table in a familiar inn, not too far from a place they must have surely known their whole lives-- if they could only remember any of it."

barsoomcore's Barsoom story -- very well written. You won't know what the hell is going on half the time, but you won't be able to stop reading despite that.

Capellan's Company of the Random Encounter -- don't let the name of the story fool you; this is worth reading

Capellan's In Hextor's Name -- to paraphrase the author, the story hour is "written from the limited and very, very biased point of view of Kull Redfist, LN Half-Orc Cleric of Hextor, Life's ambition: to become a mighty warrior and crush Hextor's enemies."

Destan's Sins of our Fathers and Sins of our Fathers II -- grim, gritty, and utterly compelling, with a definite old school feel to it.

James McMurray's Return to the Tomb of Horrors -- you know about the original ToH, you know about the Return, but you do not know the pleasure of this story hour's approach to it. This is the story hour that made me appreciate high-level play.

Rel's Faded Glory -- proving that pitting the PCs against challenges 4+ ELs above their level makes for a great game.

Rune's Oriental Adventures in the Dream -- the most mind-blowingly original campaign setting I have ever seen... "The world: Ah yes, the world... It is flat, but not really. There is no sun; there are no stars, nor moons. Day and night do exist, however. There is seasonal change (how could we have haiku without it?), but that change is sporadic."

Sagiro's Story Hour -- epic in scope, with a large cast of characters. It took me a while to get into this story, but once I did, I was hooked. You will be too.

Sepulchrave's Tales of Wyre, or, Lady Despina's Virtue -- you cannot beat this opening: "One of the PCs, a 14th level Paladin, [...] is currently attempting to CONVERT a succubus, and demonstrate to her the error of her ways."

spyscribe's Welcome to the Halmae -- the aptly named author of this tale keeps it constantly updated, unlike some of those OTHER authors. The campaign starts out small, but grows rapidly into a grand series of quests. Read this story because... justice demands it.

Wulf's Story Hour -- follow the adventures of Wulf Ratbane, dwarven bad-ass. Or would that be bad-axe? In any case, one of the strongest archetypal characters of any story hour on the boards.

For a second opinion, check out this thread or this one.

Last edited:

Shemeska

Adventurer
Graf said:
Shemmy’s storyhours are almost certainly classics if you like Planescape. I’ve found his text too dense to get into but, like Tenh, it may just be that I need to try a few more times.

You've snagged me by the nose now.

Just to help me improve on my own writing, would you mind explaining to me what you meant by the text being 'too dense'? Too wordy? Too much exposition? Too description heavy? Help me improve by giving me some criticism :)

Either here or by email/PM, I'm actually curious. [Admittedly it's been about two years since I started writing the first storyhour, and I think that my writing style has evolved and hopefully improved since then.]

-----------------------------------------------------

And as an aside, I'm not entirely sure how classically 'Planescape' my storyhours actually are. I run the planes entirely post Faction War, and I've stressed alignments and belief issues in the broad sense more so than using the individual factions as major movers and shakers in the plotlines. Yes I use Sigil as a major location in the game, but it might be up for debate what seperates my own two storyhours as being 'Planescape' associated versus a few other Storyhours that use the planes heavily but don't often get tagged in the same way.

I've often wondered if I lose readers (or gain readers) because the storyhours get potentially pigeonholed by having 'Planescape' in the title.

Last edited:

Remove ads