D&D (2024) The Cleric should be retired

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Really? I was under the impression that monastism (?) was one of the most widely shared religious concepts.

If you look at the typical Christian-type monastery with life-time monks making beer and cheese, I agree that's pretty specific, but monastery as the concept of a secluded place to dedicate oneself to spiritual life is pretty universal, I think.
I kinda wondered about that. Buddhists seem to have something similar but I don't see it in Islam or Judaism, to take the only other religions I'm even vaguely familiar--Muslims and Hindus seem to have solitary holy men but no big groups of them in buildings. Maybe it's just something that two big religions happen to have and we think it's more universal than it is.

Vikingkingq

Adventurer
I kinda wondered about that. Buddhists seem to have something similar but I don't see it in Islam or Judaism, to take the only other religions I'm even vaguely familiar--Muslims and Hindus seem to have solitary holy men but no big groups of them in buildings. Maybe it's just something that two big religions happen to have and we think it's more universal than it is.
There is monasticism in Hinduism, but not in Islam. There has sometimes been monasticism in Judaism, but it's rather uncommon and many of the communities that practiced it didn't survive to the present.

So it is more universal than two religions, but it's not necessarily ubiquitous.

Remove ads