D&D (2024) The Cleric should be retired

Yaarel

He Mage
There is monasticism in Hinduism, but not in Islam. There has sometimes been monasticism in Judaism, but it's rather uncommon and many of the communities that practiced it didn't survive to the present.

So it is more universal than two religions, but it's not necessarily ubiquitous.
Yeah.

The Jewish yeshiva and the Muslim madrasah, are probably the closest approximations of a monastic community.

These are schools (for any ages) that immerse in sacred texts. It is a kind of academic mysticism, both theoretical and practical, and the entire community revolves around it.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Yeah.

The Jewish yeshiva and the Muslim madrasah, are probably the closest approximations of a monastic community.

These are schools (for any ages) that immerse in sacred texts. It is a kind of academic mysticism, both theoretical and practical, and the entire community revolves around it.
Going back to Antiquity, there were the Essenes and other groups, too.

Horwath

Legend
I would be quite fond of rogues with d12 HD. :D
sure, instead of heavy armor, you get only light and +3 skills, instead of extra attack(s) and maneuvers(or extra masteries or whatever) you get few sneak attack dices.
also you can have 12(or even 10) instead 16 Con and spread those points to int, wis, cha for skill usage. d12 will absorb loss of HP for having only 10 Con.

Yaarel

He Mage
Going back to Antiquity, there were the Essenes and other groups, too.
Even the Essenes (the "Ose" Tora, the doers of Tora), were a kind of yeshiva immersing in sacred texts. Their wilderness retreats had an ascetic way of life, like monastic communities. But in town, their faction members probably lived more like their local neighbors, albeit text immersive.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
You don't see any clerics defaulting to sacred flame? (I barely see any clerics - but the few I do use sacred flame).
The Cleric in my party has it, but so far, enemies have saved to it roughly 25% of the time he's cast it, which he only does if an enemy is out of reach of his +1 warhammer.

Remove ads