The Complete Mage & The Complete Scoundrel

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Li Shenron said:
If there wasn't Eric's grandma around, I would have now bursted out in huge swearings.... How could they possible call this "a fresh look"??? Yeah right, it says ALSO provides feats/spells/etc., not ONLY, but still this is everything except "fresh". Tome of Magic or Incarnum could be fresh, but Complete Mage is the least possibly innovative book scheduled.
So, the fact that Gary Gygax gave us new spells with Unearthed Arcana means that no new spells have ever been fresh or interesting since? Seriously?

And if you want innovation, there's the Tome of Magic and Tome of Battle. Not every WotC book is going to add new systems to the game, which is something most folks are thankful for.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Plus, technically, the Special Edition Monster Manual is scheduled for October. Unless that comes bound in dragonskin, it has to be way less innovative than the Complete Mage...

Felon

First Post
thalmin said:
From the WotC September to December 2006 Catalog:

It is listed as a hardcover book, 224 pages, MSRP of $29.95 / $39.95 Can

Wow, you're wonderful! How long has this info been available?

Notice they don't mention new classes...

Xath

Moder-gator
So...If any of the writers for the Complete Mage happened to be reading this thread...*cough*...It would be nice to eventually see some real "complete" spell lists for caster classes.

You know...with all of the 3.5 spells. Not just ones from selected books. IYKWIMAITYD

Well, as Thalmin's post says, the answer to "Are there more warlock invocations?" is a resounding "Yes." Glad I don't have to sit on that one anymore. :)

As for the definition of "fresh"... Meh. I worked on Tome of Magic, and I worked on this. ToM has more new systems, sure. But there's a huge array of material between "brand new systems never before seen" and "the exact same thing." CM falls squarely in that middle range.

If the fact that it may not have entire brand new systems bothers you, don't buy it. But none of the new material (or at least none that I either wrote or saw) is a retread or a recreation, and some of the design philosophies we tried to follow pretty nifty if I do say so myself. Getting angry about it is just silly.

Xath said:
So...If any of the writers for the Complete Mage happened to be reading this thread...*cough*...It would be nice to eventually see some real "complete" spell lists for caster classes.

You know...with all of the 3.5 spells. Not just ones from selected books. IYKWIMAITYD

I agree, it would. I imagine we'll see such a thing as one of the compiled lists on the WotC web site eventually. :)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Well looks like Complete Mage will at least get that annoyance under control. (IE more Warlock invocations)

Thanks Thalmin.

Mouseferatu said:
Well, as Thalmin's post says, the answer to "Are there more warlock invocations?" is a resounding "Yes." Glad I don't have to sit on that one anymore. :)

As for the definition of "fresh"... Meh. I worked on Tome of Magic, and I worked on this. ToM has more new systems, sure. But there's a huge array of material between "brand new systems never before seen" and "the exact same thing." CM falls squarely in that middle range.

If the fact that it may not have entire brand new systems bothers you, don't buy it. But none of the new material (or at least none that I either wrote or saw) is a retread or a recreation, and some of the design philosophies we tried to follow pretty nifty if I do say so myself. Getting angry about it is just silly.

Darn, only wish it were out a little sooner. My Warlock 7/Master of the Yuirwood 9 is running out of time.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Complete Mage - 100% new, original material for arcane casters! 100% incompatible with D&D 3.5E!

###

I'd rather not see that. :) We've had four new magic systems recently. I'm happy for Complete Mage to explore what we already have, and take it in new directions.

Cheers!

Remove ads