• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Crux of the Matter

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Hogarth cannot prepare new spells. He is also still level 7--Rinaldo leveled up while exiting the time stream, but Hogarth hasn't rested yet. He'll gain 8 as soon as does, and get new spells too.

@Ashna--you are correct, you could indeed do an angle, but the spacing is such that there will always be at least two adjacent to a potential diagonal wall, which means they can make Reflex saves to break the spell (then again, Wizards don't have such great Ref anyway.

I'd say Hogarth would be Acid because he worships the God of Earth, and for no reason, in D&D Earth==Acid ;)))

*Ashna recognises all the Wraiths they fought or met before, plus some more that look less intelligent (like Xu), maybe Eve's Lesser Wraiths. There seem to be extra for the explicit purpose of interfering with a wall, though that does make some of the Lesser Wraiths expendable sacrifices if Ashna was going to be using an AoE attack instead.*

Knight Otu

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
@Ashna--you are correct, you could indeed do an angle, but the spacing is such that there will always be at least two adjacent to a potential diagonal wall, which means they can make Reflex saves to break the spell (then again, Wizards don't have such great Ref anyway.
(Hmm, so a minimum of two saves to destroy the wall. The DC should be 20. With a good Dex, Sin may well have a minimum Ref of +10, minimum, though the other wraiths would likely have lower saves with a few possible exceptions (if Envy(?) is present and still emulating Rinaldo, for example). Which wraiths would be responsible in the minimum case, and would any be 'trapped' on our side?)

Rystil Arden said:
I'd say Hogarth would be Acid because he worships the God of Earth, and for no reason, in D&D Earth==Acid ;)))
(True, but we met Hogarth on a volcano island about to erupt/erupiting. Acid would probably be 'The Dragon.' I currently have no idea for cold, though, admittedly ('Not me' would be a dead giveaway).)

Rystil Arden said:
*Ashna recognises all the Wraiths they fought or met before, plus some more that look less intelligent (like Xu), maybe Eve's Lesser Wraiths. There seem to be extra for the explicit purpose of interfering with a wall, though that does make some of the Lesser Wraiths expendable sacrifices if Ashna was going to be using an AoE attack instead.*
(Yeah, ok, that's more than would fit into the 10 ft. radius hemisphere. :p)

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Oops, when I said all, I mean all but Envy--she still hasn't recuperated. In the minimal case of two, unfortunately, Sin has placed herself to be adjacent to all possible angled configurations, and if the spell succeeds, she will be just barely, then, on the far side of the Wall. The best one that doesn't include Sin is a nearly-flat oblique trace that goes adjacent to Gluttony, Wrath, and two generic wraiths. Probably none of those has super Reflex saves, but there are four chances.)

Knight Otu

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
(Probably none of those has super Reflex saves, but there are four chances.)
(That's about five chances too many. :uhoh:
Fun stuff assuming my math is correct: If the wraiths have an average Reflex save of +6, Ashna has a chance of rounded up 18% to create the wall. If Sin has a Reflex of +10, and the helping wraith has a Reflex of +6, the chance to create it is approximately 29%.
In general, if Sin's Reflex save is less than six points higher than that of the average wraith, and Sin is paired with an average wraith, it would be better to slightly better to take the chance with Sin-wraith than with the four wraiths.
If it is seven points higher, the percentages seem pretty close, favoring the Sin-wraith pairing with the exceptions of +3 and +4 for the average wraith and the cases where Sin more or less auto-succeeds.
If the difference between Sin and her co-wraith is eight or higher, it is better to take the chances with the four wraiths.
It would seem that taking an angle that gives Sin and another wraith the disruption chance would be the best option, unless Sin or the wraith have an ability that allows auto-disruption. Sin probably has Spell Resistance judging from my fireball, but that should only matter for the breach damage as far as I recall.

As you can probably guess, I'd love to have a chronomantic haste at my disposal right now. :p)

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Ashna thinks that Sin's Reflex save is probably usually around +13 or so, but it is probably lower, since for no apparent reason, Sin isn't wearing her cloak right now like she always was before. So Wall on Sin + generic Lesser Wraith?)

Knight Otu

First Post
(I don't suppose Ashna can get a ballpark on the average Reflex save of a lesser wraith? :p
Oh well, the percentages don't look exactly thrilling, but I guess we have to in the interest of progress.)

Remove ads