The Crux of the Matter

Velmont

First Post
"This is out of my abilities. It seems magically sealed, but the one who did it didn't do a great job... the seal start to be weaker at some point, like here." He tells, poitning a place on the door. "I don't knwo how much time it took to grow weaker like that, and I don't know how much time it will stay like that, but sooner or later, the seal will broke, and the door will be able to open normally... if the warning is true, what is inside will be released and it will not be pretty to see."

Erekose13

Explorer
"I was thinking exactly the same thing Rinaldo. The way that Elpis is used in the sentence would seem to indicate that it was the name given to Hope. Regarding the seal, I don't have knock prepared at the moment. Ashnar do you still have it ready? If not it'll take some time for us to be able to open a magically sealed door." replies Tenebrynn.

Knight Otu

First Post
Ashnar snickers a bit at the image of the little girl calling him 'Silly.' "I wasn't talking about the modern language, but still about the ancient language. The Chromatic Order is the premier school of magic, but it is not open to just anyone capable of utilizing magic, as we've heard. That excludes many arcanists. Being exclusive and setting the standard for everyone simultaneously is hard work to do.
Anyway, this appear to be a warning, and warnings tend to be useless if they aren't understood. Ancient Medibarian was best understood during the heights of the Medibarian Empire. Nowadays, it is mostly just understood by arcanists.
" He shakes his head "Of course, the best way to make sure that a warning survives the toils of time is to use several less ephemeral languages. Celestial, Draconic and Infernal. Auran, Aquan, Ignan and Terran.

'There once was a box that held all the dark children of the Night, until someone opened it, leaving only Hope inside. From this box, only Hope has escaped, but yet the box is not safe, and so some day, it will be opened again. To the unprepared, unseal not this door. Its binding is my final sacrifice. Elpis, our Hope, be free...'

That implies that it is possible to prepare for whatever happens when the door is unsealed. Taken at face value, it would be the escape children of Night, as only hope escaped from this 'box'. To 'prepare' against night and darkness, we generally use light, assuming we don't use the night to sleep. In which case, we are usually in safe places or where some are taking watch.
"
Ashnar looks angrily at the door, almost certain that its warning shouldn't be taken so simply.

Rystil Arden

First Post
*Ashnar has a hunch that he was closer when he thought of it as a warning and a comparison piece, a metaphor of sorts, or an allusion to the box of stories, rather than completely literal.*

Knight Otu

First Post
[sblock=Spells prepared]Spells prepared (Save DC 13 + spell level, or 14+ spell level for Evocation spells; 4+1/4+1/3+1/2+1): 0 - acid splash*, detect magic, flare*|, disrupt undead x2; 1st - Ashnar's sparkstrikex23*|, mage armor, cause fear; 2nd - protection from arrows, scorching ray x3*|; 3rd - Fireball*|x2, Ray of Exhaustion
* Evocation spell.
| Bonus spell slot; for Evocation spells only[/sblock]
"No, I don't have it prepared. Besides, it would be rather foolish to pry it open before we know how to prepare. I am pretty certain that taking the warning literally is wrong. It is a metaphor, a comparison. Not unlike the box, but certainly not the same."

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: I think you mean Ray of Exhaustion for the level 3 spell. Not to diss Ray of Enfeeblement, of course--it's an awesome spell, and I'd have stuck one in there instead of one of the 3 sparkstrikes, probably)

Bront

The man with the probe
OOC: I go to sleep one day... :p

"Old Medibarian is popular in Medibaria, which has a bit of a superiority thing going on, so I'd find it quite odd to be here actualy," Vanitri says. "Though, given the widespread power that once was Medibaria and the Accademy, I guess I shouldn't be too suprised."

Vanitri examines the writings and the door, to confirm how it is sealed, and see if he can confirm the translation.

OOC: Vanitri will run his knowledge skills against Night, the Box, and Elpis.
Knowledge: Arcane +4
Knowledge: Dungeoneering +5
Knowledge: Local +5
Knowledge: Nature +10
Knowledge: Geography +11
Decipher Script +5
Search +6

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=Vanitri's Lore]*Night, no clue.*

*During his travels, Vanitri has heard of the name Elpis. It is an uncommon female name derived from 'Hope' at some point in an old tongue.*

*Vanitri has heard a version of the Box story where a curious man named Raven, said to be the first Freefolk opened the box, instead of some girl like Rinaldo's version, and bad things came out too, but what was left in the box for Raven to take was freedom, and so he offered it to any who would join him, and they became the Freefolk. Their freedom was their hope, while the others in the world were left to stagnate with all the troubles.*[/SBLOCK]

Bront

The man with the probe
"I've heard a legend of the box as well. A man named Raven, said to be the first Freefolk, opened the box and let lose many bad things, but inside, was freedom, which he took and shared with the freefolk, which was their salvation while the others of the world were left to stagnate in their troubles," Vanitri says. "Not a common story among the 'folk, but it still is told."

"And I believe Elpis was once derived from hope in an anchient tongue."

OOC: any luck on the search and decipher?

Remove ads