The Crux of the Matter

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Let's see--on Night, some kind soul has given me DC guidelines with text to tell you (Yay!))

[SBLOCK=Ashnar Lore]
*'Night' may, perhaps, refer to Espranachtis, an ancient evil goddess whose worship is uncommon.*

*'The Box' is an old folktale that shows up in myths and legends and bedtime stories much like the one Rinaldo described.*

*'Pandora' is probably a bitterly ironic pseudonym and not anybody's real name, even if that story of Rinaldo's is true because it means 'All Gifts'.*

*Elpis is unfamiliar*[/SBLOCK]

Rystil Arden

First Post
Velmont said:
OOC: Oh, yeah, I named Pandora, and spoke about that story. I am aware Rinaldo have no Bardic Lore, Knowledge Local or History, but as I stated, for him, it is no more than a bed time story... I thought it fine to speak about it, just nobody take what he told (including teh Pandora name) for something true... bedtime stories might be based on truth, but that can be a very small %.
(OOC: That's part of what I just told KO2 in his SBLOCK--to wit:

*'The Box' is an old folktale that shows up in myths and legends and bedtime stories much like the one Rinaldo described.*

*'Pandora' is probably a bitterly ironic pseudonym and not anybody's real name, even if that story of Rinaldo's is true because it means 'All Gifts'.*)

Knight Otu

First Post
(Well, I struck out Pandora because I wasn't sure if RA actually wanted to go there and introduce Pandora officially. I don't remember if the legend of Pandora was established previously as existing in LEW before now.)

"I do not know about Elpis, but Night may refer to an ancient evil goddess, Espranachtis. She isn't commonly revered, and I do not know more about her. Ancient Medibarian, you say? Assuming that this warning should be readable to most people approaching, that does seem to date the tower quite a bit, doesn't it?
A warning, and a comparison piece, it would seem...
"

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: I didn't, necessarily--I wanted something similar. Thus, I tried to work around it by claiming the name Pandora might be a joke by someone with a twisted sense of humour ;))

"I think most Medibarian wizards default magical writings to Old Medibarian even now, assuming other wizards will know how to read it as often as they would know Draconic, or perhaps at least that they could cast Comprehend Languages if necessary."

Erekose13

Explorer
"I am alright." replies Tenebrynn, "It would appear that this entire area is filled with an overwhelmingly powerful magic. Raw magic at that, so much that the weave of magic is tearing apart."

Does Tenebrynn know anything about the keywords we've picked out of the inscription (Night, the Box, Elpis, heck even Old Medibarian)?
Knowledge (arcana)+12
Knowledge (history)+6
Knowledge (religion)+4
Knowledge (nature)+5
Knowledge (the planes)+4
Knowledge (dungeoneering)+4
Knowledge (local)+5

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=Tenebrynn Lore]

*Espra-whatzit? Never even heard of that name!*

*Old Medibarian is the ancient tongue of the kingdom of Medibaria, located to the northeast of Orussus. It is no longer spoken by most Medibarians, but it is still used by some wizards and academicians who admire the beauty and expressiveness of the language and don't mind the fact that it is hard for the unwashed masses to speak it correctly.*

*The Box is a common fairytale, nothing more, so far as Tenebrynn knows.*

*Elpis means nothing to Tenebrynn, though the way it is placed in the sentence, if Laynie is reading it well, it sounds like a name, followed by an apositive phrase, our Hope. This makes sense based on the fact that earlier it said 'From this box only Hope escaped'.*

[/SBLOCK]

Knight Otu

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
"I think most Medibarian wizards default magical writings to Old Medibarian even now, assuming other wizards will know how to read it as often as they would know Draconic, or perhaps at least that they could cast Comprehend Languages if necessary."
"That is a dangerous assumption, though. I forgot much when we met Frump, but I do know that Medibaria proper is no longer the power it once was."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Well of course not, silly. That's why nobody would ever use the new Medibarian language for anything. That and it really has no advantages over the Common tongue. Still, though, the Academy of the Chromatic Order is the last bastion of the Old Empire. In that one place, in that one field, Medibaria is still the premier in all the world."

Velmont

First Post
"Ok, I might not know much about all that Chronomancy, the magic of this tower or that language... but if what Laynie told us is true, and I don't mean Laynie is wrong, but more that this inscription was not put to decieve but really to warn, we should not enter that place before finding that Elpis, whoever he is, or wathever it is." tells Rinaldo.

"Could it be... that wizard... who inhabited... that place?" asks Hogarth.

"Maybe... but I don't think so. It's looks more like it was a name given to teh hope who had escaped that place." answers Rinaldo.

"Where could he be?"

"If that tower have travelled in time, it could have escaped long time ago, and thus, he could be anywhere... or if it is a person, maybe even dead. But wherever or whenever he is, if he escaped that tower, he could have pass through the village. Maybe the name will tell something to someone. But before deciding to go back or foward, let me check that door."

Rinaldo sheet his rapier and appraoch the door and start to inspect it, taking his time to find any wards, traps, locks or mechanism on the door.

[SBLOCk=OOC]Taking 20 if possible on a search the door[/SBLOCK]

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=Rinaldo's Inspection]The door appears to be magically sealed, but not trapped. The seal may have once been stronger and more solid, but it seems to have several weak spots, like little holes or cracks in the seal. Still, Rinaldo does not think that he could open the door.[/SBLOCK]

Remove ads