• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The D&D Boss Fight

Yeah, I agree that solos are something to use sparingly. Honestly in the last game I've been running, which is now a ways into paragon IIRC I think there were definitely 4 solos used in heroic tier. One was underlevel and came with allies, one was a true solo beat-m-up, and the other two the party actually avoided direct confrontation with or didn't fight it out to the death with at any rate. So I'm pretty much up on the idea of only using them for 'dragons' so to speak. I don't think it is impossible to use solos for say humanoids but I agree I wouldn't generally pit the party against some average looking goblin that turned out to be solo.

OTOH Mokrug Goblincrusher can certainly be given the fluff to make him consistent with solo mechanics. He's big and tough and wields a legendary weapon. His armor, made out of the recycled plate armor of his defeated enemies, easily resists attacks of all types, making him quite tough. His sheer ferociousness lets him shake off action denial effects that would addle the brains of lesser goblins. I just don't see where any of this is a disconnect between fluff and mechanics at all.

Nor do I see some sort of issue when players use different tactics against a solo. Wouldn't the heroes really do that? Of course they would! You don't catch sharks with the same gear you hunt bass with and you don't slay dragons with the same tactics you use on an orc horde. It just stands to reason and I don't understand why it seems to be an issue.

Honestly I think the newer solos actually MUCH BETTER reflect big tough 'dragon' type monsters than the MM1 era ones did. Early solos largely WERE a joke at higher levels. It wasn't some issue of they had different mechanics, it was an issue of they were simply dead meat on the table, a far worse problem. Current solos come across as TOUGH monsters that shed effects rapidly, take a lot of punishment, and dish it right back out.

Like I tried to say earlier though, I think 4e DOES stereotype monsters a lot by insisting on fixed offense and defense. Brutes and soldiers do vary that a bit, but sometimes it is nice to break from the pattern by a larger amount. I could easily see making a monster with a good bit more than usual offensive powers and to-hit and only maybe pretty ordinary or elite level hit points to represent say an enemy wizard. The thing is you really do need to be very careful doing that, it is VERY easy to have things go horribly wrong.

Another approach is to assume that players really won't be able to defeat your big bad by ordinary (for them) means at all. Here you can draw on common mythical themes. The gorgon Medusa can ONLY be defeated by reflecting her gaze in Aegis. Again you have to really be careful to make sure that if you're going to work things like this that the players are well aware of it and don't just make the natural assumption that they can handle these kinds of threats with their normal tactics and powers.

Waht i guess is, that his DM misinterpreted solos quite bad.

It does sound as if his DM thinks, that whenever players encounter a single creature, he should use the solo template, to make the fight harder.

It just doesn´t work that way.

Thanks for searching in the MM3 finding not a single monster that doesn´t deserve beeing solo.

No goblin solo, no giant solo. Gods, primodials and a kraken. Truly memorable solo encounters.

Aegeri

First Post
Admittedly, it's not hard to search the MM3 for solos because there are a genuine handful. Only one of them is below epic tier (the Sea Kraken, which is level 10). Lolth, Allabar, Imix and Ogremoch are all level 30 or above. Even when you search all of the solos published in 4E, there are very few that aren't Dragons or huge monsters of some kind that should be solos. Only a few humanoids and similar get solo treatment.

Looking at Dark Sun, this is the same and many of the solos are huge beasts/obscene levels. Only one creature is level 1 and its some weird lizard thing and actually is kind of interesting for a level 1 solo.

Out of general solos, of those that are clearly humanoids, there is Sinruth and Krayd the butcher (levels 1 and 2 respectively). Lurg the Brawler (level 4). Barthus (who is undead as well). Troglodyte (level 7) and so on. All of these are surrounded by tons of solo dragons, monsters and similar. So in general such humanoid solos are usually from adventures - not from monster manuals or similar - and tend to be immensely rare (as you would expect). Making the arguments from eamon about solo goblins and similar ring entirely hollow.

AllisterH

First Post
I'm not sure even the PRIESTS in 4e have been clasified as SOLO monsters..Most of them are elite status. Looking through my MM2, and remembering what I've seen on MB, I'd say 95% of Solos are dragons, beholders, High level Abyssal /Demon lords, Primordials and Hydras.

I do believe that the Purple worm could be fixed by simply making it an elite.

Personally...I think the Solo template is the problem as well since turning a monster into a solo (or even an elite) is more than simply quadrupling their HP and I think the template doesn't give enough hints/advice about this so you end up with DMs using Solos badly.

re: MM3
Really..looking in the MM3, those Solos that exist all have different ways and methods of dealing with the "action economy" problems....

(EDIT: Remember in 1e when Magic Resistance was akin to 3.x and it scaled at 11th level? - If you were above 11th level, you gained a 5% bonus per level above in overcoming MR while the reverse was true if you were below. Given how few games actually hit 12th level above, using magic against ANYTHING in 1e was useless -- As an aside, this is why I twitch whenever people talk about magic being all-powerful and it being an essential feel of DnD. Baloney, magic was HORRIBLE in combat!!!)

Stone to mud. Insta kill against non flying monsters. Even with 100% spell resistance.

i really believe, monster design was the most problemtic thing in initial release of 4e. Low level monsters worked quite well, but balance was off with higher level ones...

Maybe with a bit cleverer monster design, noone would even have suggested that expertise was necessary.

AllisterH

First Post
Stone to mud. Insta kill against non flying monsters. Even with 100% spell resistance.

Actually...this spell specifically really sucked. The ruling I remember from Dragon was that it only worked on "NATURAL" stone. a.k.a, won't work in a town or home and won't work on regular earth either. Great for fighting underground but even then, my DM was a stickler and insisted that Drow Caverns weren't natural in that the drow had worked the cavern to become cities.

Thus stone to mud wouldn't even work on the streets of your typical underground city....
i really believe, monster design was the most problemtic thing in initial release of 4e. Low level monsters worked quite well, but balance was off with higher level ones...

Maybe with a bit cleverer monster design, noone would even have suggested that expertise was necessary.

This I agree with somewhat...I think Dragons themselves "work" (the problem with the black dragon was its specific abilties..the gold and other colours work fine IME). I's the purple work that has all the bad solo features...

Hell, you can see even by MM2 that WOTC was getting better. Compare a MM1 hydra with a MM2 hydra. Th latter is much more of an interesting fight in specifically being more capable in handling lockdown IIRC.

(EDIT: Remember in 1e when Magic Resistance was akin to 3.x and it scaled at 11th level? - If you were above 11th level, you gained a 5% bonus per level above in overcoming MR while the reverse was true if you were below. Given how few games actually hit 12th level above, using magic against ANYTHING in 1e was useless -- As an aside, this is why I twitch whenever people talk about magic being all-powerful and it being an essential feel of DnD. Baloney, magic was HORRIBLE in combat!!!)

Huh? VERY few 1e AD&D monsters HAD MR at all. It was reserved to what would now be considered major epic tier monsters, demons, devils, some dragons, divine beings, etc. Truthfully PCs below 11th level would almost never run into MR at all unless they were punching above their weight. It was a bit more common in 2e but still pretty rare. I think it was based on 11th level mainly because the assumption was you'd hardly ever have to deal with it at levels below that.

As for few games hitting 12th level, I suspect that depended on who you were playing with. I can remember some groups (and a couple of campaigns I was in) that centered on high level play. I seem to recall that the last 1e campaign the other main DM in our group did was entirely high level PCs from various games we'd played. I definitely recall a few 30th level PCs, though that sort of thing was honestly kind of ridiculous...

Gort

Explorer
Actually...this spell specifically really sucked. The ruling I remember from Dragon was that it only worked on "NATURAL" stone. a.k.a, won't work in a town or home and won't work on regular earth either. Great for fighting underground but even then, my DM was a stickler and insisted that Drow Caverns weren't natural in that the drow had worked the cavern to become cities.

Thus stone to mud wouldn't even work on the streets of your typical underground city....

Plus, does anyone see anything wrong with this picture?

DM: You face a being of incredible power - roaring, it charges towards you, flames belching from it's gigantic maw...
Player: Oh, I drop some mud on it.
DM: It dies instantly.

Plus, does anyone see anything wrong with this picture?

DM: You face a being of incredible power - roaring, it charges towards you, flames belching from it's gigantic maw...
Player: Oh, I drop some mud on it.
DM: It dies instantly.

I do. We don't know about this creature's vulnerability to mud.

More importantly........how much mud are we talking about?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads