• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The D&D Boss Fight

Plus, does anyone see anything wrong with this picture?

DM: You face a being of incredible power - roaring, it charges towards you, flames belching from it's gigantic maw...
Player: Oh, I drop some mud on it.
DM: It dies instantly.
its not mud on top of it, it is converting the whole floor into mud. Per RAW the mud was so watery, that you sink into it quite fast... you just drown. Or, if you combo stone to mud with mud to stone... i believe you get the picture now...

[MENTION=72717]Ex[/MENTION]ploder wizard: its a cube with its volume (is it volume in english?) dependant on the wizards level. I think it was a lot of mud...

Aenghus

Explorer
One of the issues of 3e was that boss battles were very swingy. Given their buckets of hp, spamming Save or Sucks were the optimal tactic of many spellcasters, but success at doing this, especially early in the encounter, produced a real anticlimax. Alternatively, monster saves against everything which means the spellcasters may have little or no effect on the encounter.

Also, given 3e bosses often had their own Save or Die/Suck powers, PCs could quickly be effectively removed from the encounter themselves.

Given the large amounts of damage both sides were typically handing out fights would often take only a few rounds, which was just as well as PCs would quickly run out of hp in a fight that lasted any length of time.

4e tried to address these issues with special Solo rules for boss monsters, and returning everyone to doing hp damage with most of their attacks, but its a complicated issue that they are still coming to grips with.

I do think most solo monsters need foreshadowing and careful inclusion into the setting. Solo monsters are the subject of legend, and are also the most appropriate monsters for legendary weaknesses.

Aenghus

Explorer
its not mud on top of it, it is converting the whole floor into mud. Per RAW the mud was so watery, that you sink into it quite fast... you just drown. Or, if you combo stone to mud with mud to stone... i believe you get the picture now...

[MENTION=72717]Ex[/MENTION]ploder wizard: its a cube with its volume (is it volume in english?) dependant on the wizards level. I think it was a lot of mud...

Per the SRD, Transmute Rock to Mud :: d20srd.org

Area: Up to two 10-ft. cubes/level (S)

They added lots of restrictions in it's last incarnation which made it much less useful in general, understandable given it's potential for abuse, especially in buildings and the underdark.

Wrong game... speaking of ADnD 2nd edition... we were speaking of ADnD... (spell resistances in %)

edit: of course, the 3.5 spell makes a bit more sense... i.e. it is just not that useful if you don´t follow up with dispel magic.

edit 2: of course, a speed of 5 in a 30 by 30 feet wide mud poll is still very annoying...

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads